Old C&C in WinXP? (VMWare - no sound)

Last response: in Video Games
June 30, 2004 1:04:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.command-n-conq (More info?)

Yesterday I decided that I wanted to play the good old C&C again, but
unfortuantly, I can't get the game up and running under Windows XP.
Any of you know a trick?

Anyway, I tried installing Windows 98 through VMWare, and it works
perfect, except for the fact, that I can't get it to accept my sound
card. Does any of you have a solution for that problem?

My sound card is a Terratec DMX Xfire 1024, fully SoundBlaster
compatible.

/Emil J

More about : winxp vmware sound

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 5:12:22 PM

On 29 Jun 2004 21:04:41 -0700, google@tvhus.dk (Emil Jacobsen) wrote:

>Yesterday I decided that I wanted to play the good old C&C again, but
>unfortuantly, I can't get the game up and running under Windows XP.
>Any of you know a trick?

VDMSound allows the usage of sound cards for Dos games running under
Windows NT, 2000, or XP. It can be downloaded at:
http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

The older C&C games can be installed by following the procedures listed
under this page:
http://www.planetcnc.com/features/techtroopers/classics...

The DOS version of C&C does not work under WindowsXP.

>Anyway, I tried installing Windows 98 through VMWare, and it works
>perfect, except for the fact, that I can't get it to accept my sound
>card. Does any of you have a solution for that problem?

You need to make sure that Windows installation under VMWare has a sound
card, and that it is functional (i.e. it works.) Next, you need to make
sure that this sound card contains Dos support by checking that the Blaster
variable is set properly.

Anything under VMWare is emulated - your real hardware configuration
doesn't matter as much as it could.
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 9:27:58 PM

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
> On 29 Jun 2004 21:04:41 -0700, google@tvhus.dk (Emil Jacobsen) wrote:

<<snipers>>

> The older C&C games can be installed by following the procedures listed
> under this page:
> http://www.planetcnc.com/features/techtroopers/classics...
>
> The DOS version of C&C does not work under WindowsXP.

<<<sniparoonie>>>

Hey Ray
By the Way
foolish question
can you access C&C DOS version thru DOS?
being as computer illiterate as i am, i am not sure how dumb a question that
is.
let me down easy.

--
Fight Win Prevail
But Never Cheat

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:27:58 GMT, "TCipollina" <joesdad@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
>> On 29 Jun 2004 21:04:41 -0700, google@tvhus.dk (Emil Jacobsen) wrote:
>
><<snipers>>
>
>> The older C&C games can be installed by following the procedures listed
>> under this page:
>> http://www.planetcnc.com/features/techtroopers/classics...
>>
>> The DOS version of C&C does not work under WindowsXP.
>
><<<sniparoonie>>>
>
>Hey Ray
>By the Way
>foolish question
>can you access C&C DOS version thru DOS?

Do you mean Windows XP's implementation of Dos? I can't really tell
because I still need to run SETUP.EXE, and that program definatly doesn't
work with XP.

If you mean if I can run it under Dos without problem, then yes - I do have
some computers around that still run Dos. (Technically, Windows 95 is
installed on the comptuer, but I found a way to prevent it from
automatically loading.)
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 3:19:28 AM

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:27:58 GMT, "TCipollina" <joesdad@stny.rr.com>
wrote:

> >"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
> >> On 29 Jun 2004 21:04:41 -0700, google@tvhus.dk (Emil Jacobsen) wrote:
> >
> ><<snipers>>
> >
> >> The older C&C games can be installed by following the procedures listed
> >> under this page:
> >> http://www.planetcnc.com/features/techtroopers/classics...
> >>
> >> The DOS version of C&C does not work under WindowsXP.
> >
> ><<<sniparoonie>>>
> >
> >Hey Ray
> >By the Way
> >foolish question
> >can you access C&C DOS version thru DOS?
>
> Do you mean Windows XP's implementation of Dos? I can't really tell
> because I still need to run SETUP.EXE, and that program definatly doesn't
> work with XP.
>
> If you mean if I can run it under Dos without problem, then yes - I do
have
> some computers around that still run Dos. (Technically, Windows 95 is
> installed on the comptuer, but I found a way to prevent it from
> automatically loading.)

being computer illiterate, i have no idea what i mean.
but yes, DOS. kinda the old " start, shutdown , restart in DOS" routine.
knowing the directory ahead of time, and file name would be of a help.

i dont have XP, just win98, so not sure if it is an option on an XP.

-
Fight Win Prevail
But Never Cheat
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 3:22:58 PM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:19:28 GMT, "TCipollina" <joesdad@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:27:58 GMT, "TCipollina" <joesdad@stny.rr.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> Do you mean Windows XP's implementation of Dos? I can't really tell
>> because I still need to run SETUP.EXE, and that program definatly doesn't
>> work with XP.
>>
>> If you mean if I can run it under Dos without problem, then yes - I do
>have
>> some computers around that still run Dos. (Technically, Windows 95 is
>> installed on the comptuer, but I found a way to prevent it from
>> automatically loading.)
>>
>being computer illiterate, i have no idea what i mean.
>but yes, DOS. kinda the old " start, shutdown , restart in DOS" routine.
>knowing the directory ahead of time, and file name would be of a help.
>
>i dont have XP, just win98, so not sure if it is an option on an XP.

Actually, Windows XP doesn't really support that. The best method is to
create a boot disk and hope that it will work.

I don't remember offhand how to do it in Win98, but I think one way to do
it is to head to the control panel, open 'Add/Remove programs', and select
the "Startup Disk" tab. (It's been a while - I think it's correct, but I'm
not too sure.) For WinXP, The option to create a startup disk should be
attached to the Format command.
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 3:22:59 PM

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:19:28 GMT, "TCipollina" <joesdad@stny.rr.com>
wrote:

> >"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
> >> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:27:58 GMT, "TCipollina" <joesdad@stny.rr.com>
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> Do you mean Windows XP's implementation of Dos? I can't really tell
> >> because I still need to run SETUP.EXE, and that program definatly
doesn't
> >> work with XP.
> >>
> >> If you mean if I can run it under Dos without problem, then yes - I do
> >have
> >> some computers around that still run Dos. (Technically, Windows 95 is
> >> installed on the comptuer, but I found a way to prevent it from
> >> automatically loading.)
> >>
> >being computer illiterate, i have no idea what i mean.
> >but yes, DOS. kinda the old " start, shutdown , restart in DOS" routine.
> >knowing the directory ahead of time, and file name would be of a help.
> >
> >i dont have XP, just win98, so not sure if it is an option on an XP.
> >

> Actually, Windows XP doesn't really support that. The best method is to
> create a boot disk and hope that it will work.
>
> I don't remember offhand how to do it in Win98, but I think one way to do
> it is to head to the control panel, open 'Add/Remove programs', and select
> the "Startup Disk" tab. (It's been a while - I think it's correct, but I'm
> not too sure.) For WinXP, The option to create a startup disk should be
> attached to the Format command.

Also, you can go to www.bootdisk.com and get any one you want, including
bootdisn=ks with options unavailable through windows itself.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 8:49:19 PM

"The Ancient One" <onlytheone@thetopknows.com> wrote in message

> "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:19:28 GMT, "TCipollina" <joesdad@stny.rr.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > >"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message

> doesn't

> > >have
> > >>
> > >being computer illiterate, i have no idea what i mean.
> > >but yes, DOS. kinda the old " start, shutdown , restart in DOS"
routine.
> > >knowing the directory ahead of time, and file name would be of a help.
> > >
> > >i dont have XP, just win98, so not sure if it is an option on an XP.
> > >

> > Actually, Windows XP doesn't really support that. The best method is to
> > create a boot disk and hope that it will work.
> >
> > I don't remember offhand how to do it in Win98, but I think one way to
do
> > it is to head to the control panel, open 'Add/Remove programs', and
select
> > the "Startup Disk" tab. (It's been a while - I think it's correct, but
I'm
> > not too sure.) For WinXP, The option to create a startup disk should
be
> > attached to the Format command.
> >

> Also, you can go to www.bootdisk.com and get any one you want, including
> bootdisn=ks with options unavailable through windows itself.

i stand erected

--
Fight Win Prevail
But Never Cheat