Something new Stuff to Media Packages

Many of you may already be aware of this, but Cingular has just opened
at least some of their UDP ports. A while back I posted a message
documenting how Cingular blocked the UDP ports that were required for
Real Audio on a phone. While people could use real audio on a laptop
using TCP, it was a no go on cell phones. Well this week my dad was in
the hospital and I spent much on the time in his room. Unfortunately,
the only source of news on the cable network at the hospital was The
Communist News Network(CNN), so I went hunting for other sources. After
messing with my cell phone I discovered that I could stream real audio
with no elaborate settings. Furthermore, I noticed on Cingular's WAP
page that there is a package you can buy(in addition to Media Works) for
$9.99 that allows you to stream 20 major cable network channels to you
phone.

So it appears that Cinuglar had made some additions as to want UDP ports
they allow. I guess it time to check some other applications that
haven't worked previously. I suspect this change was for real audio
products only, but you never know.

Enjoy
6 answers Last reply
More about something stuff media packages

    "R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote in message
    > Many of you may already be aware of this, but Cingular has just opened
    > at least some of their UDP ports. A while back I posted a message
    > documenting how Cingular blocked the UDP ports that were required for
    > Real Audio on a phone. While people could use real audio on a laptop
    > using TCP, it was a no go on cell phones. Well this week my dad was in
    > the hospital and I spent much on the time in his room. Unfortunately,
    > the only source of news on the cable network at the hospital was The
    > Communist News Network(CNN), so I went hunting for other sources. After
    > messing with my cell phone I discovered that I could stream real audio
    > with no elaborate settings. Furthermore, I noticed on Cingular's WAP
    > page that there is a package you can buy(in addition to Media Works) for
    > $9.99 that allows you to stream 20 major cable network channels to you
    > phone.
    >
    > So it appears that Cinuglar had made some additions as to want UDP ports
    > they allow. I guess it time to check some other applications that
    > haven't worked previously. I suspect this change was for real audio
    > products only, but you never know.
    >
    > Enjoy

    Didn't the hospital have the Fake Or Xenophobic news network?

    In <41B9DFCC.5020809@usenetjunk.com> on Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:40:11 GMT, "R.M"
    <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

    >... Well this week my dad was in
    >the hospital and I spent much on the time in his room. Unfortunately,
    >the only source of news on the cable network at the hospital was The
    >Communist News Network(CNN), so I went hunting for other sources. After
    >messing with my cell phone ...

    Many (most?) hospitals prohibit the use of cell phones. It seems to silly to
    risk interference with hospital equipment just to stream entertainment.

    John Navas wrote:
    > Many (most?) hospitals prohibit the use of cell phones. It seems to silly to
    > risk interference with hospital equipment just to stream entertainment.

    Very true, indeed there were many marked areas such as the ICU and ER
    that cell phones were not permitted. However, the floor we were on was a
    non-critical area and designated exclusively as a "safe place" to use
    them. Had we been on any other floor it would have been different.

    I work in the a hospital setting and cell phones do not really interfere
    with medical equipment.

    ek

    In <zAGud.23741$Eq.7250@fe1.texas.rr.com> on Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:59:59 GMT,
    "Eric" <ekley@nospam.houston.rr.com> wrote:

    >"R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote in message

    >> John Navas wrote:

    >>> Many (most?) hospitals prohibit the use of cell phones. It seems to
    >>> silly to
    >>> risk interference with hospital equipment just to stream entertainment.
    >>
    >> Very true, indeed there were many marked areas such as the ICU and ER that
    >> cell phones were not permitted. However, the floor we were on was a
    >> non-critical area and designated exclusively as a "safe place" to use
    >> them. Had we been on any other floor it would have been different.

    >I work in the a hospital setting and cell phones do not really interfere
    >with medical equipment.

    Some mobile devices can cause interference with critical medical
    equipment and it is important these are turned off where a risk
    exists, said Prof. Kent Woods, Chief Executive of the [UK Medicines
    and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency]. However, he said there is
    no reason why mobile technology can't be used in designated areas of
    hospitals where there is little or no risk of interference with
    critical medical equipment.
    <http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/cell_phones_hospitals.html>

    p.s. It's rude to switch posting styles in mid-thread.

    Eric wrote:
    > I work in the a hospital setting and cell phones do not really interfere
    > with medical equipment.

    Being I'm the one that started the discussion, I'm chime in once more
    time. First, as John said in a another post, this is completely wrong.
    For those who don't know I am a Ham Radio operator (callsign: wo5m for
    those who care) and I can tell you first hand there is not an RF device
    that will never cause interference.

    There are some other facts I probably should have included, but how I
    considered my first message long winded, I skipped over a few facts. As
    I said in my first reply, the floor I was on was designated for cell
    phone use. Something I didn't bring up , was the fact that just out side
    my dad's room was an antenna for Fort Worth's 800mhz public works
    trucking system.

    Back to the cell phone issue. All the phones I have seen are the
    noisiest devices I have ever seen when dealing with RF. For those who
    would like a first hand demonstration, find a amplified speaker and
    place a cell phone call while near the amplifier. Now I'm no expert on
    hospital equipment, but from what I do know, many of them are much more
    sensitive than a simple amplifier. I agree with John's first comments
    about, using a cell phone is a hospital. I would only add, that you
    **MUST** ask before you use one, don't risk messing with their equipment.

    This wasn't the original topic of the discussion, but a good topic nun
    the less.

Cingular Audio Internet Service Providers