Your question

Question about running a webserver behind a router

Tags:
  • Routers
  • IP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
November 2, 2003 5:59:04 AM

Right now I'm running the apache server for windows. I can connect to my webpage by using my private IP address, but when I try to use my public IP, it brings up my router login.
I use a linksys router firmware 1.02. I thought about port forwarding, but for some reason it doesnt work right. I have to run dmz on my private ip to play games and so forth.
Heres some information that might help?
(Linksys info)
Internet - Connection type Automatic DHCP
LAN IP (default) 192.168.1.1
Block Wan request enabled
Multicast passthrough Enabled
DHCP Disabled

Destination LAN IP Subnet Mask Gateway Interface
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 LAN&Wireless
65.x.x.0 255.255.255.0 65.x.x.x WAN
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 65.x.x.x WAN
127.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 LOOPBACK
------------------------------------
My network
WAN-->Router->3 clients-> I am .102
I have dhcp disabled for the network, every computer has a static ip. My WAN IP is not static, so if I decide to get a domain name, I'll have to constatly update it which isnt a problem. Mainly I'm setting up a webserver just to do it and learn from it and also to host a scorecard for games my friends and I play.
This is my first attempt at running my own webserver. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Onslaught

More about : question running webserver router

November 2, 2003 4:48:48 PM

You can register with a domain name with dyndns.org for free. Some router will update the IP address for you automatically.
November 7, 2003 7:43:26 AM

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing on my network, when i access the website through my private address i dont have any problems however when i try and access the web site over the internet using my static IP address it says the web server could not be found. I was told to put the computer im using as a server on a DMZ, but that didnt seem to work. You could try it though, or you could make sure u've got port forwarding enabled to your web server.

Why use windows when you can use doors?
November 8, 2003 12:58:33 PM

I got mine working a while ago. See, I thought I had everything configured right, and I was right. It finally poped in my head to try using a connection not on this network. So I dialed into AOL and typed in my ip address, sure enough, there was my site. I've been running DMZ on this computer because I cannot get the port forwarding working properly. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ian
!