Windows 7 fallout 3 patch

G

in not good with computers at all but i just got a new laptop and have window 7 and when i load fallout 3 it crashes after i choose to play a new game help me....

Kaelvohn

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

I believe that I am having the exact same problem. When I choose new game, I sometimes get 5 seconds of loading screen before I get and error that the game has stopped working. Trying compatibility mode has done nothing and when checking for compatibility errors, it tells me to run the game in XP service pack 2.

G

You are not alone in this, I have also bought a brand new computer, with better graphics card, processor, etc. than is required to play fallout 3 and expected to fallout; however, due to the windows 7 conversion, I am also unable to play fallout 3. There has been a 1.7 patch made availible to run fallout, can be found on bethesda's home website. Good luck getting the patch on your computer, since every time you try to install said patch, the game tries to play its self, ending up in the same crash that occured before. If you manage to open task manager and shut down the game prior to the patch stopping it's progress and closing it's self, then you may manage to fix the problem; however, every one and their mom has had trouble completing this task. It seems that the UK version of the game takes longer to load the and thus the technique works for them. If you have the US version however, there is no contingincy plan in effect yet. So you're options are to wait til who know's then for bethesda to come out with a new patch to an old game(they probably won't) or find some other work around. There is no other work around out on the internet at the moment. There is just the compatability feature that enables some lucky few computers to play the game till it spuriously desides to crash, but allows you to save(So if you save alot, you eventually get through). We are boned. Unless, in the smallest hope, bethesda gets off their @ss and fixes the bugs.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
If you look on the Steam web site, the Fallout 3 forum has some .ini file changes which make the game less crash-prone; they certainly worked for me. It was something to do with limiting AI to two threads as it didn't like quad-cores.

Naghammadi

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
You are not alone in this, I have also bought a brand new computer, with better graphics card, processor, etc. than is required to play fallout 3 and expected to fallout; however, due to the windows 7 conversion, I am also unable to play fallout 3. There has been a 1.7 patch made availible to run fallout, can be found on bethesda's home website. Good luck getting the patch on your computer, since every time you try to install said patch, the game tries to play its self, ending up in the same crash that occured before. If you manage to open task manager and shut down the game prior to the patch stopping it's progress and closing it's self, then you may manage to fix the problem; however, every one and their mom has had trouble completing this task. It seems that the UK version of the game takes longer to load the and thus the technique works for them. If you have the US version however, there is no contingincy plan in effect yet. So you're options are to wait til who know's then for bethesda to come out with a new patch to an old game(they probably won't) or find some other work around. There is no other work around out on the internet at the moment. There is just the compatability feature that enables some lucky few computers to play the game till it spuriously desides to crash, but allows you to save(So if you save alot, you eventually get through). We are boned. Unless, in the smallest hope, bethesda gets off their @ss and fixes the bugs.

I too have been troubled with this fallout dilema, I updated everthing, my gpu is more then adiquit, Im been surfing the internet for this same anoying problem. I tryed as well to update patch 1.7. The patch itself is currupt. I just got this new gaming laptop, and im pissed off that i can not play my favorite game. I have emailed them, and plan to call tech support after the holiday. I have fallout new vegas, and it plays to much like a console game. Im not a fan of steam either

FunSurfer

Distinguished

Did you try the folder renaming "Fallout3" to "Fallout 3" or the d3dx9.dll fix? it is elaborated here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/fallout-3-windows-7-crash-on-startup-tried-patch/724284a7-3d81-4437-844a-ed366b769f97