Win2k and Windows 2k Disk Defrag

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Im hoping someone can tell me if there is a way to enable power users the
right to defrag their disk drives? My users are on the domain and I'm hoping
to avoid the purchase of 3rd party software to do this task. Can this be
done by Group Policy or some other method? I know XP has the capability to
be scheduled but I'd like to do this on our current 2000 systems.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Windows 2000 requires administrator credentials to do a disk defrag. Jerold has a tip
that may work for you in his JSI tips using the AT command, though I have not tried
it myself. See the link below. --- Steve

http://www.jsiinc.com/sube/tip2100/rh2179.htm

"Rob" <rsharp@livebridge.com> wrote in message
> Im hoping someone can tell me if there is a way to enable power users the
> right to defrag their disk drives? My users are on the domain and I'm hoping
> to avoid the purchase of 3rd party software to do this task. Can this be
> done by Group Policy or some other method? I know XP has the capability to
> be scheduled but I'd like to do this on our current 2000 systems.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

Did you find a solution by now?
I have the same need as yours based on this defrag tool

thnaks to let me know
serge

"Rob" wrote:

> Im hoping someone can tell me if there is a way to enable power users the
> right to defrag their disk drives? My users are on the domain and I'm hoping
> to avoid the purchase of 3rd party software to do this task. Can this be
> done by Group Policy or some other method? I know XP has the capability to
> be scheduled but I'd like to do this on our current 2000 systems.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

Marco

I think that the disk defragmenter checks for administrative privileges upon
starting up so I do not think it can be done without a third-party
application -- but I may be wrong.

In case I am not, you may want to give our "NeoExec for Active Directory" a
go. You just need to create a rule for mmc.exe and specify
%SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe "%SystemRoot%\system32\dfrg.msc" as command
line and you're set.

hope it helps, even if not free.

--
Marco [ www.neovalens.com ]