Couple problems with my P965-DS3

radelow

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Got it booted up and have two problems:

1. Is it suppose to say something to the effect on the bootup screen that memory will operate as single channel? I have two sticks of DDR2-800 memory and it is recognizing the full amount (1 gig, 2 x 512 sticks).

2. For some reason the CPU fan does not work. I have a Tuniq 120 which uses a three pin connector. I plugged it into the correct right side of the CPU fan. I noticed there are some bios setups related to the CPU fan. I tried selecting "Disable" which runs the fan at full speed but that still didn't work. Am I missing something?

THANKS!

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Memory operates in single channel if you use any ports of the combination 1&2, 2&3, 3&4

Dual channel runs in same coloured banks i.e 1&3 or 2&4.

The CPU fan...does it ever spin, even slightly on power up? Sure the connector is on the CPU fan pins the right way around? Tried another set of pins at all?

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Do you have a multi meter? Can you check the motherboard pins for voltage? Black to red should be 5V and black to yellow should be 12V.

If you dont have one then just detatch the fan and try another set of pins on the board. There's always another set for the case fan that would tell you what the problem is.

You can run your system for a few seconds with just a heatsink on the CPU dont worry about that but I wouldnt do it for longer than needed to see the fan spin....or not spin as I suspect may be the case of a duff fan.

radelow

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Fan works fine using one of the regular power liines from the PS (using adapters). Could it be a case of a bad fan header?

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Yup, could be but i've never heard of that before. Well, in any case you've got enough information to fix the problem by using the molex connectors from the PSU (you'll just be running max rpm all the time, thats what I do anyway) but I would check your BIOS settings one last time to make sure that there's nothing in there you could toggle.

Failing that, if you wanted noise reduction control for fan speed try and find an extension and run it to the 3 pin case fan header instead.

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
If the fan header is defective or there is some other defect in the motherboard, wouldn't it make more sense to RMA it and get a replacement. (FWIW, since the product is defective I would expect the seller to reimburse your return shipping cost).

No?

-john

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
It sure would make sense yes, but RMA's take time ;) If you have another way of getting the fan working weigh up the cost against doing without a PC for a week, or maybe more.

My personal preference would be to get the fan working so that I didnt have to do without my PC but others of course will call this lunacy and suggest sending it back...at your expense no doubt!

radelow

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
I am not going to RMA over just a faulty fan header. The board is stable and fast otherwise and I don't want to risk any damage when I remove the huge heatsink (Tuniq Tower 120), CPU, memory, etc. Just doesn't make sense.

weilin

Distinguished
i got a ds3, ur problem isnt really a problem.. the fan is temp controlled. The board wont turn that fan on unless its needed. HOWEVER, sometimes the controller doesn't work and the fan stays off when its needed. the solution is to go into bios and turn fan controller off so the fan runs on high all the time.

whoaru99

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Did you try putting both fan settings to "Auto"?

My S3 board works fine with the stock Intel cooler using the "Auto" settings.

TRENDING THREADS