Surge Protection/UPS (Stupid) Question

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I've tried reading up on the about UPS and didn't quite get everything after a quick glance. In any case, not sure if I'm at the right part of the forums for this.

Basically, I'm in the market for a UPS of some sort (probably from APC or Tripplite.) I already have some rather high rated surge protectors from Tripplite as well and they are rated over 1000+ joules surge protection/132kA (touchmaster isobars plus.) However, the UPS surge rating from Tripplite doesn't seem to rise too much even with price. There seems to be a 480j ceiling for the affordable models (being around 100-200 USD.) There are other companies that offer higher surge protection on their UPS models but still nowhere near what I have originally. Is there any reason why the UPS has such a lower rating and should I consider something far far cheaper and simply plug it into my current surge protectors? Heck, do I need to protect the UPS with a surge protector? I'm not sure how power protection redundancy works out.

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Thanks. I was halfway wondering since I believe some of the UPS companies say that you shouldn't connect the UPS to an additional surge protector. Are there any brands in particular I should look at beyond APC and Tripplite? It seems those are the most known at least in the consumer area. Cyberpower seems to have fairly high rated stuff for the price but can't really find out too much about how reliable they are when things go wrong. Online UPS seem to be a bit out of my budget so I'll stick with line interactives and try to figure out everything else in between.