Your 3DMark scores

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I thought it might be interesting to compare your PC with those of the others at a glance.

Please post your detailed system specifications and 3DMark05 and/or 3DMark06 scores in this thread.

My current PC:

Everything is at stock speeds

Windows XP Pro with SP-2
AcerOpen Full Tower (server) case
Antec TruePower, True550 550W PSU
Abit IS7 motherboard with Gigabit LAN
Intel Pentium 4C Northwood 3.0 GHz with Hyper-Threading
2 GB of PC3200 Dual Channel DDR RAM
eVGA eGeForce 6800 Ultra 256 Mb AGP
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA x 2
SB Live! 5.1 X-Gamer

3DMark05 = 5448
3DMark06 = 2490

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Win XP home SP2
Thermaltake WinGo V8000A Case
Tagan 380 Watt PSU
Asrock 775 dual vsta
Core 2 duo E6600 @ stock
Sapphire X1950 pro 512Mb agp
250 GB sedgate barracuda 7200rpm IDE

3Dmark05 = 10121
3Dmark06 = 5092

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I forget my 3dmark05 score.

3DMark 06 score is 6134.

Gigabyte GA965p-S3
core2duo e6300 @ 3.2
evga geforce 7950gt oc @ 600 / 1600
2gb mushkin ddr2 800
320gb seagate
etcetc

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Thanks everyone for your scores and specs. One of the reasons I started this thread is that I wanted to see how my upgraded AGP system would compare with what others have.

Windows XP Pro with SP-2
AcerOpen Full Tower (server) case
Antec TruePower, True550 550W PSU
Abit IS7 motherboard with Gigabit LAN
Intel Pentium 4C Northwood 3.0 GHz with Hyper-Threading
2 GB of PC3200 Dual Channel DDR RAM
eVGA eGeForce 6800 Ultra 256 Mb AGP to be replaced with HIS Hightech X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 AGP IceQ3 Turbo HDCP
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA x 2
SB Live! 5.1 X-Gamer

People with AGP systems comparable to mine who upgrade to X1950PRO AGP see their scores go up by 80-100%+. Therefore, I think I can expect 3Dmark05 ~ 9,500 and 3Dmark06 ~ 4,500-5,000+

This $280-dollar upgrade would make my AGP system very similar in performance to all high-end PCI-E (except those using C2D and 8800 series cards which are too expensive anyway and are an overkill for all existing and upcoming games unless someone wants to play at insanely high resolutions).

While it is clear that AGP is a dead tech, I see nothing wrong with keeping it for another 6-12+ months if it continues to play every game thrown at it and I think it will.

JustJack wrote in another thread:

"For all who keep saying forget it and go to PCI Express the are not taking into account the reasons why people do not want to:

1 - Cost. As they would have to replace most of their system.

2 - Effort. If it is just MB great if you know what you are doing and the system you are upgrading only has games and a small amount of software. For a lot of people, me included, replacing the MB is daunting and in my case a huge amount of effort due to the software I have loaded.

3 - DX10. Why spend more than you need to now when in 12 months time you can apply the savings against a new system with Vista?."

I could not have said it better myself. To me "Effort" is a MAJOR consideration. I agree with JustJack there 1000%. I just want to add that

1. Current PCI-E systems (except those with C2D, 8800s or high-end cards in SLI or X-fire which constitute the minority anyway and cost a lot of $$) are not noticeably faster than a strong AGP system.

2. For the vast majority of people it does not make sense to build an SLI or X-Fire system.

3. The expense of building a C2D + 8800 machine is not justified since a strong AGP system will play everything just as well until DX10 and Vista come of age. (No offense, guys with uber rigs. I just do not feel all that immense power is really needed right now.)

4. When DX10, Vista and super demanding games do come of age rendering this AGP system impotent, there will be newer GPUs which will trump 8800 and prices for C2D will probably go down.

Right now I am shooting for summer of 2007 (to build a new rig) but the more I think about AGP vs. PCI-E and the more I read, the more I become convinced that upgrading to X1950PRO AGP may allow me to wait until winter of 2007 and probably beyond.

clairvoyant129

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Sig.

You're absolutely right, there aren't many reasons to jump on the G80/R600 bandwagon at the moment.

As for me, I had a little extra money after I sold some Pentium D and Athlon X2 + 7800GTX rigs, so the upgrade.

pmt411

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I get just over 20,000 3dMark 5.

My rig: Q6700, 680Ievga, twin 8800Gtx sli,2 gig corsair 1066 dominator, twin 150 raptors, 500gig WDC backup hardrive, Coolit freezone cpu cooler.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I get just over 20,000 3dMark 5.

My rig: Q6700, 680Ievga, twin 8800Gtx sli,2 gig corsair 1066 dominator, twin 150 raptors, 500gig WDC backup hardrive, Coolit freezone cpu cooler.

Show-off :tongue:

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I can agree that it isn't always the best call to jump up to PCI express but to say that C2D and 8800 are a waste, overkill, etc. seems that you're being just as guilty of trying to apply a one size fits all solution to a very individualized issue...

My last system a Pentium D with a 6800 card was lost (in part) to an electrical storm. Given that I needed a new mb and CPU the C2D was a very logical choice, the same would be true of someone that had a system that was "to old", if now is the time to replace it, the C2D is a very wise move. When I got ready to replace the 6800 (as money allowed) I looked around for a card in the "sweet spot" as well, but... I lucked up on combo deal at newegg for 2 gb of RAM (I was going to upgrade from 1GB anyway) and the 8800 GTS for 100.00 off. Now you tell me, which would you buy, an x1950xt for around 250, or the 8800 GTS for 300?

Yes, your system will probably run most (try flight sim X, Oblivion, or R6 vegas) games reasonably (depending on your definition) well for a while longer, but mine will still be running them past the time yours stops.

Another reason that many will "recommend" going ahead and swapping to PCI express now is that you will pay a premium for the AGP card that might be better spent on upgrading the rest of the system. It's not always the best choice but it's not bad advice either. Granted to upgrade the system you'll spend more in total than you would on just the AGP card but you'll also get more performance than you will from just the card and can extend that 12 month goal you indicate out to maybe 18, then the next upgrade should only be a CPU and/or video card.

Again, my only point here is that it's a decision that's best made by the individual with many factors being weighed.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Again, my only point here is that it's a decision that's best made by the individual with many factors being weighed

Certainly. I would never argue with that.

As for Oblivion and such my current 6800U system plays it rather well at 1152x864 with most of the options set to their maximum. EDIT: OK, 'not' maximum but High as per the article linked below. I will admit, of course, that it would be nice to play it at 1600x1200 with all settings at their max but would that be worth the expense and the trouble of rebuilding not only the hardware but the software as well?

I am pretty confident that after the upgrade to X1950PRO AGP I will be able to run Oblivion at 12x9 with nearly all settings at max. This is pretty respectable. Wouldn't you agree?

EDIT: Ah, found my old post about Oblivion performance:

"I voted 1600x1200 because I play everything I have a that resolution (WoW, FarCry, Doom3, Half Life 2, etc.) except Oblivion which brings me to Pauldh's Post....

voted 12x10 although I probably play 16x12 25% of the time. In Oblivion I have been playing 10x7 2xaa + HDR most of the time, but recently have been doing 12x10 no aa HDR also.

Paul, now you confuse me. Your machine looks more powerful than mine. 12x10 no AA, no HDR? Why? Are you looking to make sure that you never get a frame rate drop not even a little bit throughout the entire game and across 100% of locations?

Man, I play Oblivion @ 1152x864 with 4X AA and the following settings (except for the items marked with *** all of my settings correspond to HIGH as per this article):

V-Sync - On (as per Game options)
AA 4X
Textures - Large
Tree fade - 90%
Actor fade - 50%
Item fade - 50%
Object fade - 50%
Grass distance - 50% (This one really pisses me of as I see grass being drawn as I approach locations. I would rather have it at 100% but anything higher than 60% dramatically reduces my frame rates so I leave it at "High" default level of 50%)
View distance - 100%
Distant lands - On
Distant buildings On
Distant trees - On
Interior shadows - 50%
Exterior shadows - 50%
Self shadows - Off
Shadows on grass - Off *** (would be "On" for High)
Tree canopy shadows - On
Shadow filtering - low *** (would be "High" for High)
Specular distance - 100%
Water detail - Normal
Water reflections - On
Water ripples - On
Window reflections - On
Blood decals - High

Here's my PC (nothing is overclocked):

Windows XP Pro SP-2
A-Open server tower case with fans:
1x90mm front intake @ 3200 RPM
2x80mm rear exhaust @ 1700 RPM each (top of case)
2x60mm rear exhaust @ 2400 RPM each (middle of case)
1xPCI slot rear exhaust @ 1900 RPM (bottom of case)
Antec True 550 PSU
Abit IS7 motherboard with NO NB fan (it died a week after I got the mobo. It was like 3 years ago. Running kind of hot but it works )
Pentium 4C Northwood with HT @ 3.01 GHz
CPU cooler @ 5000 RPM - Gigabyte 3D Cooler-Ultra 360 (all copper) PCU31-VH
PC3200 Dual Channel DDR-SDRAM - 1 Gb (timings by SPD 3-3-3-8 )
eGeForce 6800 Ultra 256 Mb AGP 8X @ driver default Advaced settings as per CoolBits (Image Settings - Quality) ***
SATA Seagate Barracuda 120 GB in IDE mode x 2
DVD-ROM drive
CD-RW drive
Floppy drive
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Gamer
Vewsonic G220fb (CRT) @ 85Hz

*** I know that Quality enables floptimizations such as Anisotropic Sample Optimization but in all honesty my eye does not see any difference in IQ with and without these optimizations, i.e when IQ is set to "High Quality."

AquaMark 3.0 Commercial Plus = 64,567
3DMark05 = 5,500 and change

I must admit that in some areas my frame rate drops to about 18-20 FPS but not for long. I must also admit that I have not explored all areas of the world of Oblivion. Still, I've played it for 40-50 hours at this point and it is very playable on my machine with these settings. It also looks pretty damn great (so far this is the best-looking game I've ever played; so even though I have not seen it in its absolute glory - who has (?) - I would state that I have not sacrificed too much of Oblivion IQ for performance)

Please, explain to me, Paul, what is wrong with this picture (I mean you having a stronger rig and it seems you are running at lower settings than I. Do you have all Video Options at 100%? )

P.S. I run a very clean system though - no more than 19 active processes at the same time (perhaps you have like 50 processes running?): All non-essential processces are disabled (see THIS, for example), nothing's running in the background except Symantec Anti-Virus v.10.0 Corporate Edition. This thing has like 6 or 7 active processes, including Real Time virus protection which constantly scans files, even when they are simply accessed which happens a lot in a game . I am sure this slows down my PC performance a bit. I will disable the Anti-Virus at some point and re-check AquaMark and 3DMark scores. Gotta gain 5-10% I think."

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
As for Oblivion and such my current 6800U system plays it rather well at 1152x864 with most of the options set to their maximum. I will admit, of course, that it would be nice to play it at 1600x1200 with all settings at their max but would that be worth the expense and the trouble of rebuilding not only the hardware but the software as well?

Whether it's worth is a personal question that only you can answer, that's my point.

Also what running a game "rather well" means is up for individual interpretation as well. I can tell a big difference in game like BF2142 with frame rates at 30, considered "playable" by most and with frame rates in the 80 - 100 range. Especially important to me is the minimum frame rate. Others may not mind some occosional stuttering but it drives me nuts. With that said, I'll probably run my current configuration into the ground, I'm not the kind of guy that always has a machine that will max everything and still play at the frames I like. It's just timing for me, it was time for system overhaul and by watching for deals and careful shopping I put what is in my opinion, a pretty decent rig together.

Personally, I usually do a clean install of XP every 6 months or so just for giggles. I don't keep that much software installed anyway and I can usually have everything completely redone in one evening. Using a 2nd drive (or partition) for storage helps a lot.

pauldh

Illustrious
Paul, now you confuse me. Your machine looks more powerful than mine. 12x10 no AA, no HDR? Why? Are you looking to make sure that you never get a frame rate drop not even a little bit throughout the entire game and across 100% of locations?

Man, I play Oblivion @ 1152x864 with 4X AA and the following settings (except for the items marked with *** all of my settings correspond to HIGH as per this article):
Wow, sheer chance I stumbled onto this one. That was 12x10 no fsaa but yes to HDR on a X1800XT. Settings would be my own custom high settings based from tweakguides. Probably pretty similar to Anand's high or [H]'s x1800xt max playable settings.

I don't have the original thread link where that came from, but I first played Oblivion for a while on a 6800U, 2GB ram, and A64 4000+. I then built the PCI-e rig (same ram and cpu) and started playing Oblivion on a 7800GT, which while better than the 6800U was still far from what I wanted. Upgrading to the X1800XT I had at the time, made a huge difference. I stayed at 10x7 with HDR, but upped the details quite a bit and ran 2x-4x fsaa plus 8XHQAF or 16XAF. The X1950XT allows for 12x10 4XAA +HDR with high (not max details).

Anyway, give me a link to your old topic; it seems ages ago I'd like to see the context. But what it really comes down to in Oblivion is the exact settings. A 6800U would stall at the settings I am running (I know, been there).

Check out Anand's high settings and FS's max settings:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2746&p=4
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/page5.asp

At 12x10 we are talking an average in or barely above single digit's for a 6800GT or GS. And that is not with FSAA or HQAF even. really, even the 7900GT's do horrible at both these settings in Anand's gate or FS's foliage tests. In Oblivion, I myself don't like seeing lows to be in the teens if I can avoid it, never mind the average. But, It's a game of compromises for all but GF8800 or X19xx crossfire owners.