Building a computer. I could use your help

KindaPuzzled

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Ladies and Gents:

Thanks for taking time to read my post. The last time I built a computer was about five years ago, and frankly, I lost touch of the entire hardware side of things since. I recently became reacquainted with hardware, and found that I know zilch. Thus, I ask for your help.

I am building a computer that will last a while. I am a moderate gamer -- the thought of being able to install a game of recent vintage on the system is appealing. I will stick with XP until further notice (I've used enough of Vista to realize it ain't going to change my world - DX10 or not.). I use my pc for a lot of duties (including VMWare, XEN, Linux) and want a motherboard with a fair amount of ability. Most of all, I would like a stable platform free from chaos.

So, without further ado, here is what I am thinking (based on furious reading of the past month or so). I can be swayed by the righteous who can lead me down a different path.

CPU
Intel E6600 Core Duo 2 - (stock cooling or quieter solution?)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 (alas, many features - again, can be swayed)

RAM
2X1 GB of RAM - Anyone have any suggestions? (I am completely unsure about RAM)

Hard Drives
Three (3) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s hard drives

Graphic Card
HIS Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 IceQ (supposedly quiet)

Computer Case
Antec P180B

Power Supply
SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT ATX12V 550W Power Supply (Is this fully compatabile with the DQ6)

CD/DVD Burner
Two (2) LG 18X DVD±R Super-Multi DVD Burner

ETC
Floppy Drive (my old friend)
LCD Monitor (19-21 inches - Any Suggestions? I don't really know if I should care about widescreen. Should I?)

Did I miss anything?

Thank you for your time in helping me out. It is truly appreciated!

akhilles

Splendid
The specs are great.

Stock cpu coolers are ok. If you want quieter, try Freezer 7 Pro.

RAM can be any brand name value DDR2 533/667mhz. If you overclock, then 800mhz and up.

IMO, widescreen is only good for movies. Not all games support WS. Newer ones maybe. Some games have 2 black bars on both sides. Some stretch the images to fit the screen. Not exactly WS IMO.

What about a keyboard & mouse?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Agreed, you've certainly done your research well.

19" widescreen......don't bother. 19" standard aspect gives you greater flexibility and actually more pixels too. If you have a bit more money to spare, the 22" widescreens are very good and prices on them are getting much better. They also match up vertically with a standard 19" in case you ever want to add a 2nd monitor, you can team up a 22" wide and a 19" standard (cheaper this way).

Other than that, get a decent modern keyboard and mouse and you're good to go.

KindaPuzzled

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Thank you for the responses. I really appreciate everything you've told me and the kind words. Yikes, I did forget about the keyboard and mouse. That would have been a bit embarrassing.

I will try the stock cooler and see how that goes, I can always add stuff later I suppose. This should be a fun project.

Thanks for the monitor advice, I think I may just skip the widescreen for now because of the game issues (and I have a widescreen laptop that seems to do okay for the occassional movie). The advice offered here has been worth its weight in gold. Thank you.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Now THIS is the perfect example of posts in this forum topic. Dude did his research first, quick advice, and well mannered to boot.

I may bookmark this page to look at once in awhile, to remind me of a great forum topic after all the.........messy........ones I slog through.....

8)