P5B Deluxe onboard sound > Audigy SE card??

Estrang

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I was reading the specs on my motherboard and realized that the onboard sound ran 24bit/192m sound.

I read the specs on the soundblaster audigy card and as you can see:
FEATURES

Legendary Sound Blaster quality, value and performance.
The Sound Blaster® Audigy® SE is an excellent value upgrade to 7.1 surround sound on the PC. Featuring high quality audio specifications including 24-bit/96kHz recording and playback with 100dB signal to noise ratio and digital output, it's the ideal partner for surround music and movie playback. For realistic gaming, EAX® ADVANCED HD™ 3.0 support delivers acoustic effects and detailed 7.1 3D surround sound in gaming. The included Creative MediaSource™ software is a comprehensive tool for creating MP3s, managing a music collection, adding effects and burning custom CD compilations.

7.1 surround output
24-bit/96kHz audio resolution.
100dB signal to noise ratio.
Comprehensive Creative Media Source software provided.
EAX ADVANCED HD 3.0 support for gaming.
CMSS up-mixes stereo content to 7.1 surround.
Available in America and Europe.

its only 24-bit/96kHz audio resolution, does this mean I'm better off not installing the sound card from my previous pc?

Blouge

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Dude, Assus P5B Deluxe has HORRIBLE onboard sound.

It crackles, hisses, and pops like crazy. I think they are being paid to advertise for Rice Krispies. Do some googling if you don't believe me. Furthermore, the P5B Deluxe drains your CPU resources to synthesize sounds.

I've installed a 10-year old SB Live! 5.1 SB0100 card and it sounds crystal clear compared to Assus.

Pares

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I owe a P5BdeluxeWifi and i won't say amzing sound, when moving files i heear piiii in audio, rainbow lockdown was constanly craking sound it works fine usually.

I'm not saying that must buy a mega sound card but crystal clear on a onboard audio card... never i keep searching

DAmit it's that difficult to make a average/good onboard sound card? or they have a deal to...

Estrang

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
on another note, it seems the mic that came only works with the onboard sound? or has anyone had luck with a soundblaster card?

snap85

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Having a discrete sound card is better than using onboard sound for several reason. Some of them are:

1. Onboard sound utilizes CPU time to render audio data as compared to discrete sound cards whose hardware handles all the audio rendering.

2. From experience, since SB Live! 5.1, Discrete sound cards tend to sound better. Trebles are clearer and crisp, basses also have better clarity and reverberations tend to sound better.

3. They have certain features that games make use of to give you a better audio experience. i.e EAX...