Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a HTPC/Desktop case. Any suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2007 3:12:55 AM

I'm building a new HTPC that will also couple as my gaming PC. My dilema is, I can't seem to find a good case in the desktop/htpc style. I'm not too concerned with the looks. My budget is $200 without a power supply or $250 with one (500W minimum).

My setup will be this or very close to it:

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
C2D E4300 (to be OC'd)
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB
ASUS Radeon X1950 Pro
3x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB
Lite-on 16x DVD -/+ RW
WinTV-PVR-150

I found the Cooler Master CM Media 280 to be about the size I am looking for. I would probably buy this case, but I don't think it is available in the US yet.

If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations, please let me know.
I'd also like recommendations for a good, quiet, 500watt power supply. Thanks.
January 19, 2007 7:05:17 PM

I just built with this one, which fits your budget and need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

It's nice for a desktop, esp. if you put the monitor on top of the box, because it has an internal cross brace, for support. It also helps to keep down the noise caused by case vibration. Specs show support for 2 HD's, but I put three in mine. If you end up using this case, I'll tell/show you how I did it.

I also put a X1950pro (HIS) in it, but it's a squeaker. Careful with some of these cases, like the Silverstone -- they have a problem with the video card hitting the optical drive unless you use one of the short models, and even then, some cards still won't fit. And if you spend $200 on the case, I would certainly spend more than $50 on the PSU. I used a Zalman 460w: very quiet and efficient. About $90.
!