kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I'm thinking about putting an HTPC together with the following requirements:

1. Must support DVD audio disks. Preferably up to 24bit @ 192kHz

2. Must support HDTV up to 1080i.

3. Component cable is preferred although DVI would work as well.

4. Has to be ultra portable. In other words: Mini ITX form factor

5. Has to be WiFi capable

I'm pretty flexible on the rest of the details. This includes using external sound cards/DVD drives/Hard drives. I do prefer to at least have 2 of these three components internal.

I was hoping there would be someone who has experience with some of the following components.

Also, the motherboard I am currently looking at (VIA EPIA-EN12000EG) has a component video header. Anyone know where to get the header to RCA output connection adapter?

Here is my current parts list from www.newegg.com:

iStarUSA S3 STORM SERIES Black SECC body, ABS and aluminum front panel Mini-ITX Tower Entertainment Computer Case 80W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: S3 Storm Series
Item #: N82E16811165041

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

In Stock
$88.99 $88.99

Update
VIA EPIA-EN12000EG 1.2GHz VIA C7 nanoBGA2 Embedded Processor VIA CN700 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Set - Retail
Model #: EPIA-EN12000EG
Item #: N82E16813181019

In Stock
$234.99 -$10.00 Instant $224.99

Update
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD5000AAKS
Item #: N82E16822136073

In Stock
$179.99 -$20.00 Instant $159.99

Update
Creative Sound Blaster SB0610VP 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Audigy 4 SE Sound Card - OEM
Model #: 30SB061000000
Item #: N82E16829102011

In Stock
$49.99 -$7.00 Instant $42.99

Update
D-Link DWL-G122 USB 2.0 High Speed 2.4GHz Wireless Adapter - Retail
Model #: DWL-G122
Item #: N82E16833127151

unsmart

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Have you considered a cube case? Some of them have handles for ease of transport and you could fit better components in it.
I have used ITX boards before[ just yesterday] and there performance is lacking even for there low cloak speeds. Plus I never heard or seen a good thing about VIAs chrome GFX. Thats way I'm getting a half height pci card for my moms[ my old] ITX system.
I would suggest a low wattage dualcore cpu and a GFX card in the X1xxx family with VIVO.
Do you plan on using this for a projector?

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Have you considered a cube case? Some of them have handles for ease of transport and you could fit better components in it.
I have used ITX boards before[ just yesterday] and there performance is lacking even for there low cloak speeds. Plus I never heard or seen a good thing about VIAs chrome GFX. Thats way I'm getting a half height pci card for my moms[ my old] ITX system.
I would suggest a low wattage dualcore cpu and a GFX card in the X1xxx family with VIVO.
Do you plan on using this for a projector?

When you say performance is lacking do you mean when watching HD content such as TV or movies? Please elaborate a bit here.

What are some of the bad things you have heard about VIA's graphics?

I did look into Micro ATX at first but realized the case would be much bigger than ITX, the system would be significantly louder than a passive cooled ITX solution, and it would cost more since cpu/video card would have to be bought separate from a motherboard not to mention power dissipation would go up big time and electricity is costing major $$ these days. However, if anyone has built a mini atx solution for the same purpose then please share your build and I'll consider changing the form factor. Thanks for the advice

unsmart

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
It's just my experience with VIA in general, there a budget minded developer. The three ITX boards I dealt with are a few years old so they may be better now. My 1gh board seemed to perform the same as a 700mhz P3 IMO. Which is fine for the light net browsing my mom does but the graphics are in need of some help.
I'm not really sure where VIAs graphics stand in benches/quality but I would guess about the same or below Intels[ Intel also makes ITX boards] which is low compared to ATI and NV. There was and article on tom's a few weeks back on video play back, ATIs x1xxx had the best quality. VIA an Intel where not tested but it's worth a look if you can find it.
In the end it's really what matters more to you. ITX can't be beat when it comes to size and heat output but you would have more power and better options with a Matx or a barebones shuttle. ITX boards are cool though I must say.

You could always get a laptop :)