Easy method to deloy printer drivers to PC's using GP

I am not sure if I am on the right track. I would like to
find an easy method to deploy printers to desktop clients
(running XP). Instead of manually going around 2 each
desktop and installing drivers....I would like to "push"
the drivers down the desktop. Should I use group policy
to do this? Should I just ghost the drivers - pre-
installed? We arent talking a huge number of printers
and/or a HUGE number of desktop clients. Just trying to
make admin easier.

Any other suggestions, tips, or expertise is greatly
appreciated!!

Thank you.

- Ali

ali_mo@yahoo.com

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:57:25 -0700, "Ali Shah" <ali_mo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am not sure if I am on the right track. I would like to
>find an easy method to deploy printers to desktop clients
>(running XP). Instead of manually going around 2 each
>desktop and installing drivers....I would like to "push"
>the drivers down the desktop. Should I use group policy
>to do this? Should I just ghost the drivers - pre-
>installed? We arent talking a huge number of printers
>and/or a HUGE number of desktop clients. Just trying to
>make admin easier.
>
>Any other suggestions, tips, or expertise is greatly
>appreciated!!
>
>Thank you.
>
>- Ali
>
>ali_mo@yahoo.com

If you load the drivers to the printer server, they are auto-deployed when the
user attempts to print. To add additional drivers, on the Sharing tab, click
Additional Drivers.

See the following tips in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
Tip 5108 » How do I install a print driver, for a remote printer, locally?
Tip 5112. Mis-named print driver prevents downlevel clients from using Point and
Print? 4
Tip 2433. How do I obtain downlevel print drivers for my Windows 2000
Professional 'print server'? 3
Tip 5930. How do you install downlevel print drivers on Windows 2000
Professional if you don't have the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM?
Tip 4622 » Why am I prompted for the installation path of additional print
drivers in Windows XP?

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.