Which Company would you choose?

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
I want to get the factory overclocked 8800 GTX and i don't know which of these 2 companies i want the card from. Would you get the Superclocked from EVGA or the XxX version from XFX? It would be great if you can tell me the good and bad about these 2 companies and help me decide which one to get. I know they both have Lifetime warranties, but which one has better tech support and customer service? Also, which one has the better cooling fan on those 2 cards.

derschotte

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
ok maybe i shout say something more about evga.

Evga has great cards but in my opinion the support is somehow.... not the best.... when u go to they Evga messageboard u can easy read what i mean...
and i know it very good bec. i have an geforce 7900 gt ss and i m fighting for my free game now for one month... other member... of the ss series even a little bit longer.... :evil: .....so im really disappointed about thier support.

greets michael

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
I would go with eVGA, it's really just personal preference I guess. Although eVGA does have the step-up program. XFX would be my second choice, I've had cards from both and they were just fine. I would get the Superclocked GTX from eVGA with the ASC3 cooler. I would do the step-up program to get that from my regular GTX but I don't have the original packaging and boxes so I can't. :cry:

derschotte

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Hi again

yes the evga step up programm is a good thing.....but....is it really a great
that u have to step up 90 days after your purchase date. ?????

Written in t e following link: The EVGA Step-up™ Program is available to all EVGA graphics card customers who are within 90 days of their original purchase date (based upon their invoice date) :!: :!: :!: :!:

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2

cronjob

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Well, within the next 30 days, you can probably expect to see the 8900 GTX or something along those lines. With the 6800 and 7800, they came out with a suped-up version (faster ram, clock, etc) within three to six months for about the same price or less than the first card came out at. That would be a great deal. Especially if you're someone like me who purchased the 7800 GTX and a year later were wishing you had shown the patience to wait for the 7900/7950.

Personally, I would go with eVGA. While it's only anecdotal, I have had great experiences with their cards. Solid, great performance, great packaging, drivers. Everything. I would be hard pressed to go with anything other than an eVGA at this point. And as for the person who said that they won't accept Nvidia's reference drivers -- the first thing I do after installing an eVGA is download and install the Forceware drivers. Never any problems. They also run the Tweaks R Us drivers quite well.

As for eVGA tech/customer support. I can't comment on it. I've owned four or five eVGA cards across three generations (5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx) over the last several years and have never had any reason to need to contact them.

I am open to other brands, so I look forward to other people's responses here. I don't care about fancy crap like colors and LEDs and blacklight glowing garbage or (unless it actually provides some improvement) even water cooling.