NWN 2 Announced :)

Atari Announces Neverwinter Nights 2

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 4, 2004--Atari Interactive, Inc.,
Obsidian Entertainment and BioWare Corp.(TM), under license from
Hasbro, Inc., have announced plans for Neverwinter Nights(TM) 2, the
sequel to BioWare Corp.'s best-selling and genre-defining role-playing
game set in the popular Dungeons & Dragons® Forgotten Realms(TM)
universe created by Wizards of the Coast. Atari, Inc. will publish the
title. Originally developed by BioWare, Neverwinter Nights has set a
new standard in the role-playing genre with a deep and engrossing
storyline; immersive character development; stunning graphics; and, an
expansive multiplayer experience like none other.

"BioWare and Atari created an immense community of players attracted
by both the immersion of an interactive gaming experience and the
ability to create their own pen-and-paper styled modules. Neverwinter
Nights changed the very nature of roleplaying games," said Feargus
Urquhart, Obsidian Entertainment's CEO. "With Neverwinter Nights 2,
we're going to take that incredible experience to the next level by
combining a huge new single-player game with deep character
development and many new upgrades and enhancements to the already
powerful BioWare Aurora Toolset for the modding community."

Neverwinter Nights 2 will be developed by Obsidian Entertainment,
founded by Feargus Urquhart who, as the President of Black Isle
Studios, was responsible for the publishing of the Baldur's Gate and
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series and the development of the Icewind
Dale and Planescape: Torment franchises, both powered by BioWare
Engine Technology, as well as overseeing the creation and development
of the Fallout series. BioWare will provide tools, technology, and
game assets from the original Neverwinter Nights as well as lend
creative input and oversight to the development process.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is scheduled for release in 2006. More
information about Neverwinter Nights 2 can be found on the Atari
website at www.atari.com/nwn2, which includes user forums, project
news, development updates and more.
17 answers Last reply
More about announced

    Intersting

    Thanks, Drax! :-)

    [equipping Drool Bucket+3] <g>
    --
    Neil ¦¬D

    "Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message
> [...]

    > sequel to BioWare Corp.'s best-selling and genre-defining role-playing
    > game set in the popular Dungeons & Dragons® Forgotten Realms(TM)
    > universe created by Wizards of the Coast. Atari, Inc. will publish the
    > title. Originally developed by BioWare, Neverwinter Nights has set a
    > new standard in the role-playing genre with a deep and engrossing
    > storyline; immersive character development; stunning graphics; and, an
    > expansive multiplayer experience like none other.
    >
    > "BioWare and Atari created an immense community of players attracted
    > by both the immersion of an interactive gaming experience and the
    > ability to create their own pen-and-paper styled modules. Neverwinter
    > Nights changed the very nature of roleplaying games," said Feargus
    > Urquhart, Obsidian Entertainment's CEO. "With Neverwinter Nights 2,
    > we're going to take that incredible experience to the next level by

    Nice to see they listened when everyone moaned about Hordes being
    single-player only <SARCASM>
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "wotsayyou" <jonhorridge@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Nice to see they listened when everyone moaned about Hordes being
    > single-player only <SARCASM>

    Everyone didn't moan. Bioware went with the results of their registered
    player survey which IIRCC indicated in excess of 50% played single player
    exclusively and a larger percentage only played multiplayer occasionally.

    Windigo
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > > Nice to see they listened when everyone moaned about Hordes being
    > > single-player only <SARCASM>
    > >

    > Everyone didn't moan. Bioware went with the results of their registered
    > player survey which IIRCC indicated in excess of 50% played single player
    > exclusively and a larger percentage only played multiplayer occasionally.

    Got to agree there. I have been playing NWN since it came out. I even got
    both expansions on pre order instead of waiting for the price to
    drop<unprecidented occurance for me>. And HOTU is my favourite of all three
    official campaigns, and the only one I have played through more than once.
    Not so much because of the new stuff, although I would have prefered them
    not to increase the poly count on the last expansion out of sympathy for my
    PC, but because the story was much more involving. Not everyone plays multi
    player mods, even if those who do are incapable of accepting that it can be
    fun to play through a single player story and take your time admiring the
    scenery and enjoying the plot. From what little I've read on the subject, it
    is not possible to have a mod which will play well as both single player and
    multi player, so I know which I would prefer.

    As far as the hopes for NWN 2. I would like to have more control over the
    henchmen. Its especially annoying in some of the user created tile sets when
    your henchman gets caught in a bit of scenery or can't make it out of the
    room without you going back to nudge them in line with the door.

    John
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "John Bailey" <ubucvuf@khyvytrcxy.com> wrote in message
    > From what little I've read on the subject, it
    > is not possible to have a mod which will play well as both single player
    and
    > multi player, so I know which I would prefer.

    It can be done....but takes a good deal of work to do. I don't think it's
    correct to say not possible. Very hard and very difficult yes..

    > As far as the hopes for NWN 2. I would like to have more control over the
    > henchmen. Its especially annoying in some of the user created tile sets
    when
    > your henchman gets caught in a bit of scenery or can't make it out of the
    > room without you going back to nudge them in line with the door.

    Henchman! Bah they just get in the way and are a nusience.. They all ways
    die, run over traps, etc. Only good use they have is as pack mules...
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > > From what little I've read on the subject, it
    > > is not possible to have a mod which will play well as both single player
    > and
    > > multi player, so I know which I would prefer.
    >
    > It can be done....but takes a good deal of work to do. I don't think it's
    > correct to say not possible. Very hard and very difficult yes..

    I stand corrected. The point that it is more difficult stands though. For a
    private individual or a small team making a module it is already pretty hard
    work. I assume multi player adds another layer of complexity to the story
    telling and the coding.

    > > As far as the hopes for NWN 2. I would like to have more control over
    the
    > > henchmen. Its especially annoying in some of the user created tile sets
    > when
    > > your henchman gets caught in a bit of scenery or can't make it out of
    the
    > > room without you going back to nudge them in line with the door.
    >
    > Henchman! Bah they just get in the way and are a nusience.. They all ways
    > die, run over traps, etc. Only good use they have is as pack mules...

    Hence more control being useful. They can in some circumstances be good
    distractions while the player is hacking away at a tougher monster. or
    having one sniping away with a bow while I fight with my +5
    sword of extreme pointyness. It all depends on the coding though. the
    henchwoman in Lords of Darkness adds to the story nicely, and Deekin in the
    HOTU campaign was nicely done.

    John
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Hence more control being useful. They can in some circumstances be good
    > distractions while the player is hacking away at a tougher monster. or
    > having one sniping away with a bow while I fight with my +5
    > sword of extreme pointyness. It all depends on the coding though. the
    > henchwoman in Lords of Darkness adds to the story nicely, and Deekin in
    the
    > HOTU campaign was nicely done.

    But the whole point really is NWN you control one character per person....
    Your Henchmen are NPC contrroled by the DM. It all comes down to which
    you'd really rather play.. and party or one character.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > But the whole point really is NWN you control one character per person....
    > Your Henchmen are NPC contrroled by the DM. It all comes down to which
    > you'd really rather play.. and party or one character.

    Why not both. After all, NWN 2 will be a new game I assume, so changes in
    gameplay and interface are to be expected <not too new though, I like the
    interface>. Have the henchman be on autopilot untill selected perhaps. Or
    give the option in the scripting to have both. I can remember the "I want
    NWN to be another Baldurs gate" faction bemoaning the fact that they could
    only play as a single player character instead of a group for quite a while
    in the early days of this NG.

    John
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Leo Fellmann wrote:

    > Ok, a few points: NWN 2 is probably going to based on a tweaked Aurora
    > Engine, given that it is being suppplied to Obsidian along with
    > "gameplay advice" ( think that was the term ).
    > It is also very likely going to be more like the Infinity engine games,
    > given that apparently it will have full party control and be
    > single-player oriented, not multiplayer.

    I just want to know if it will have spellcasting prestige classes.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message

    > "wotsayyou" <jonhorridge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Nice to see they listened when everyone moaned about Hordes being
    > > single-player only <SARCASM>
    > >

    > Everyone didn't moan. Bioware went with the results of their registered
    > player survey which IIRCC indicated in excess of 50% played single player
    > exclusively and a larger percentage only played multiplayer occasionally.
    >

    > Windigo

    OK, let me be more exact. Regardless of the results of their survey, when
    hordes was released A LOT of people moaned and were very disappointed. Just
    look at the community bulletins around that time - there was an entire
    sticky thread around dedicated to it that lasted and grew for months.

    I think Bio's CEO (or whatever) posted to it as well just to try to explain
    why they did what they did. BUT doesn't change the fact that a lot of people
    were gutted, and they have done nothing to make them happier come NWN 2.

    Personally I'm annoyed as you can make a game multiplayable without having
    to go to too many lengths - look at OC and SOU.

    Don't want to start this whole thing going again but they should have done
    it as multiplayer - NWN is a multiplayer game and no amount of wriggling or
    politics or pointing to "User Created Content" is going to change that fact.

    Bioware I think are making Dragon Age their next big Multiplayer game - they
    aren't prepared to invest that time in NWN2 so they gave it to Blizzard (is
    it ?). Can't imagine why they aren't trying to make a multiplayer version.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > OK, let me be more exact. Regardless of the results of their survey, when
    > hordes was released A LOT of people moaned and were very disappointed.
    Just
    > look at the community bulletins around that time - there was an entire
    > sticky thread around dedicated to it that lasted and grew for months.
    >
    > I think Bio's CEO (or whatever) posted to it as well just to try to
    explain
    > why they did what they did. BUT doesn't change the fact that a lot of
    people
    > were gutted, and they have done nothing to make them happier come NWN 2.
    >
    > Personally I'm annoyed as you can make a game multiplayable without having
    > to go to too many lengths - look at OC and SOU.
    >
    > Don't want to start this whole thing going again but they should have done
    > it as multiplayer - NWN is a multiplayer game and no amount of wriggling
    or
    > politics or pointing to "User Created Content" is going to change that
    fact.

    > Bioware I think are making Dragon Age their next big Multiplayer game -
    they
    > aren't prepared to invest that time in NWN2 so they gave it to Blizzard
    (is
    > it ?). Can't imagine why they aren't trying to make a multiplayer version.

    My understanding is DA will be released with a specific module for
    mulitiplayer and another for single player. I've given up trying to predict
    what they will actually do and I really don't care to argue the relative
    merits of multi vs single player beyond my personal preference for single
    player.

    Windigo
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    wotsayyou wrote:
    | "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
    |
    |>"wotsayyou" <jonhorridge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    |>
    |>>Nice to see they listened when everyone moaned about Hordes being
    |>>single-player only <SARCASM>
    |>>

    |>Everyone didn't moan. Bioware went with the results of their registered
    |>player survey which IIRCC indicated in excess of 50% played single player
    |>exclusively and a larger percentage only played multiplayer occasionally.
    (...)

    | OK, let me be more exact. Regardless of the results of their survey, when
    | hordes was released A LOT of people moaned and were very disappointed.
    Just
    | look at the community bulletins around that time - there was an entire
    | sticky thread around dedicated to it that lasted and grew for months.

    With exactly how many participants? There were about 10 threads
    moreorless moaning about the linux client and we're a very small
    minority indeed. When you get to the bottom of it bioware knows most
    people were far more concerned by singleplayer then multiplayer, never
    mind the moaning.

    | I think Bio's CEO (or whatever) posted to it as well just to try to
    explain
    | why they did what they did. BUT doesn't change the fact that a lot of
    people
    | were gutted, and they have done nothing to make them happier come NWN 2.

    What's a lot? All the available numbers indicate that they are a
    minority, and it doesn't make too much sense to spend a lot of time on
    satisfying a minority of players. I'm not saying that doing so is a bad
    thing, but it's obviously not going to be number 1 priority.

    | Personally I'm annoyed as you can make a game multiplayable without having
    | to go to too many lengths - look at OC and SOU.

    It adds a large amount of complexity, that you possibly don't appreciate
    because it's "under the hood".

    | Don't want to start this whole thing going again but they should have done
    | it as multiplayer - NWN is a multiplayer game and no amount of
    wriggling or
    | politics or pointing to "User Created Content" is going to change that
    fact.

    No. what did change the fact was that the demand was for better
    singleplayer, _not_ multiplayer. Howw terrible that they listen to their
    customers. What will the world come to?

    | Bioware I think are making Dragon Age their next big Multiplayer game
    - - they
    | aren't prepared to invest that time in NWN2 so they gave it to
    Blizzard (is
    | it ?).

    No, it's Obsidian IIRC.

    | Can't imagine why they aren't trying to make a multiplayer version.

    Because they want to focus on story in Dragon Age ?

    - --
    Leo Fellmann
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    wotsayyou wrote:
    > OK, let me be more exact. Regardless of the results of their survey, when
    > hordes was released A LOT of people moaned and were very disappointed. Just
    > look at the community bulletins around that time - there was an entire
    > sticky thread around dedicated to it that lasted and grew for months.

    The people who post to the Bioboards are a self-selecting community and
    do not necessarily represent the overall community of NWN owners. More
    people have complained about the lack of horses in NWN than about the
    lack of multiplayer in the HotU campaign. Do you see Bioware-made horses
    in NWN? Bioware has the numbers indicating a majority of NWN owners do
    not or only rarely play multiplayer.

    In any case, NWN2 is being produced by Obsidian, not Bioware, and they
    have indicated the OC will support multiple players.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    Barry Scott Will wrote:
    > Bioware has the numbers indicating a majority of NWN owners do
    > not or only rarely play multiplayer.

    NO! It's what _I_ care about - that means EVERYONE cares about it!

    Whine! Full Massive Multiplayer Required! Whine! Numbers Be Damned!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "everlast" <everlast@jmjservices.com> wrote in message
    > Barry Scott Will wrote:
    > > Bioware has the numbers indicating a majority of NWN owners do
    > > not or only rarely play multiplayer.
    >
    > NO! It's what _I_ care about - that means EVERYONE cares about it!
    >
    > Whine! Full Massive Multiplayer Required! Whine! Numbers Be Damned!

    Amen to that

Games Atari Bioware Video Games Product