Windows XP Style locks up PC

My PC is currently set to 'Windows Classic Style' in Display Properties -
Appearance. If I attempt to change it back to 'Windows XP Style' it freezes
the PC. Help!
7 answers Last reply
More about windows style locks

    How much system memory, how much memory does your graphics card have, have
    you checked the graphics card manufacturer's website for the latest XP
    compatible drivers for your graphics card?

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote in message news:cue09f$5os$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > My PC is currently set to 'Windows Classic Style' in Display Properties -
    > Appearance. If I attempt to change it back to 'Windows XP Style' it
    > freezes the PC. Help!

    I got 256 RAM, 32Mb Video & latest Vid drivers. It's worked fine for the
    past 6 months!

    > How much system memory, how much memory does your graphics card have, have
    > you checked the graphics card manufacturer's website for the latest XP
    > compatible drivers for your graphics card?
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote in message
    >> My PC is currently set to 'Windows Classic Style' in Display Properties -
    >> Appearance. If I attempt to change it back to 'Windows XP Style' it
    >> freezes the PC. Help!

    Working fine for the last 6 months is irrelevant unless you've done NO
    updates to the rest of the system whatsoever, that's no updates from Windows
    Update including security updates and no other updates as in updates for
    various applications. Any such thing might change the system environment
    enough to possibly require updated drivers.

    Is the 32MB of Video Shared, if yes, that's possibly the issue.

    Also, 32MB is not a lot of memory. Assuming this memory is on the graphics
    card you really should be running with a minimum of 64MB.

    Below is my standard check list for dealing with a system crash:

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Note: you should always be well backed up before running an application of
    this type.

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
    third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
    you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
    figure out what is going on.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
    up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    --

    "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote in message news:cue1th$2np$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
    >I got 256 RAM, 32Mb Video & latest Vid drivers. It's worked fine for the
    >past 6 months!
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> How much system memory, how much memory does your graphics card have,
    >> have you checked the graphics card manufacturer's website for the latest
    >> XP compatible drivers for your graphics card?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote in message
    >>> My PC is currently set to 'Windows Classic Style' in Display
    >>> Properties - Appearance. If I attempt to change it back to 'Windows XP
    >>> Style' it freezes the PC. Help!

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:13:03 -0000, "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote:

    Did you play with it ?

    knock down your color depth to 16bit, then try

    Uninstall vid from device manager and re detect, then try

    There is three adjustments for xp style, classic ....
    One adjustment in Themes tab under "themes"
    Two adjustment in appearance tab under "windows & buttons" & "color
    scheme"

    look in here

    In " System properties" --> Advanced tab ---->Performance--->Visual
    effects-----> Let windows choose..

    >I got 256 RAM, 32Mb Video & latest Vid drivers. It's worked fine for the
    >past 6 months!
    >

    >"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> How much system memory, how much memory does your graphics card have, have
    >> you checked the graphics card manufacturer's website for the latest XP
    >> compatible drivers for your graphics card?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote in message
    >>> My PC is currently set to 'Windows Classic Style' in Display Properties -
    >>> Appearance. If I attempt to change it back to 'Windows XP Style' it
    >>> freezes the PC. Help!

    "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote in message news:cue1th$2np$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
    >I got 256 RAM, 32Mb Video & latest Vid drivers. It's worked fine for the
    >past 6 months!

    Tried using System Restore to go back to a point when it was working?

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    Sara, 256MB RAM for XP? In theory, sufficient. In practice, install a few
    memory-intensive applications, you get problems very soon therafter. Esp.
    when your graphics card is not up to spec for even basic XP functionality.

    First solution - get as much compatible RAM as you can afford. My system was
    256mb - augmenting with a 512mb chip solved all my probs (now running
    768mb). Do check your m/b, if you go the 512 chip route, the larger size
    chip(s) are best in first memory slot(s), smaller chip(s) in second slot(s).
    Reason for brackets - my m/board has single chip slots, some must have
    matched pairs. Adding 256 only would be just fine, but most pc's appreciate
    RAM, and the more there is, the better they perform (generally speaking).
    Second - a MUST! get a decent graphics card. 64mb min, any more is a bonus.
    (If you are contemplating games, you definately need more).

    Third - is it perhaps time to consider a new PC system altogether?

    Sincerely, Len

    "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote in message news:cue1th$2np$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
    >I got 256 RAM, 32Mb Video & latest Vid drivers. It's worked fine for the
    >past 6 months!
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> How much system memory, how much memory does your graphics card have,
    >> have you checked the graphics card manufacturer's website for the latest
    >> XP compatible drivers for your graphics card?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote in message
    >>> My PC is currently set to 'Windows Classic Style' in Display
    >>> Properties - Appearance. If I attempt to change it back to 'Windows XP
    >>> Style' it freezes the PC. Help!

    Well, thanks for all the suggestions. It's now cured. I uninstalled the
    video card and re-detected it. Checked for the latest driver and I've
    already got it.

    I mistakenly mis-informed you about video memory. It's only 16Mb! It's set
    1152 by 864 at 32bit. Guess what - it runs fine. Probably no good for games
    but I don't have time to waste on them so that's no problem. However I do
    use Photoshop often and have no problems there at all. RAM is not a problem
    either for what I use: Office, Photoshop, lots of music apps.
    Oh, and I run Adaware and Spybot-Search and Destroy regularly and always
    keep my Anti-virus prog up to date and fully configure my Firewall
    So, I'm not sure what caused the problem - some corruption in Vid drivers or
    something. Thanks again for your suggestions.

    "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > Sara, 256MB RAM for XP? In theory, sufficient. In practice, install a few
    > memory-intensive applications, you get problems very soon therafter. Esp.
    > when your graphics card is not up to spec for even basic XP functionality.
    >
    > First solution - get as much compatible RAM as you can afford. My system
    > was 256mb - augmenting with a 512mb chip solved all my probs (now running
    > 768mb). Do check your m/b, if you go the 512 chip route, the larger size
    > chip(s) are best in first memory slot(s), smaller chip(s) in second
    > slot(s). Reason for brackets - my m/board has single chip slots, some must
    > have matched pairs. Adding 256 only would be just fine, but most pc's
    > appreciate RAM, and the more there is, the better they perform (generally
    > speaking).
    > Second - a MUST! get a decent graphics card. 64mb min, any more is a
    > bonus. (If you are contemplating games, you definately need more).
    >
    > Third - is it perhaps time to consider a new PC system altogether?
    >
    > Sincerely, Len
    >
    > "Sara" <ut@ut.ut> wrote in message
    >>I got 256 RAM, 32Mb Video & latest Vid drivers. It's worked fine for the
    >>past 6 months!
    >>

    >> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>> How much system memory, how much memory does your graphics card have,
    >>> have you checked the graphics card manufacturer's website for the latest
    >>> XP compatible drivers for your graphics card?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend