Can't save login/pw information locally

hmarcuse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Under Win 7 (Home Premium 64-bit) I save login/password information for several programs, Dreamweaver 8, for example, for several sites that I manage. This worked fine for over a year after installing on win 7, but then suddenly (perhaps after a win 7 update, I don't know) that stored information disappeared and when I retype it (checking "save login/pw"), it ALWAYS loses that information again--for other programs as well (also my email program--which is also a 32-bit program, in case that is relevant), so that I have to type the login/pw information in anew each time I restart each program. (This does not happen within a browser.) I'd appreciate any help.
BTW, those same programs are able to save this information for those same programs on my work computer, which uses a different (32 bit) version of Win 7, and on my netbook, which also runs a lower version (Starter) of Win 7.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I would save that kind of info on a USB thumb drive where you can take it out when not in use so if your computer is hacked they won't get you passwords. Never have win save your passwords.

hmarcuse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Lots of programs have passwords where I don't care much if they're hacked (can't do much damage)--and my computer is secure in my home. Especially my website management program, which I run from one computer--I don't want to have to reenter both the login and password for each of the 4 sites I run each time I work on the site.

hmarcuse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011

Not that I know of. McAfee security scan runs once a week (must be some free version), and I have symantec antivirus with a daily brief scan (takes less than 3 mins) and a weekly full scan.
I do have Eusing Registry Cleaner, but don't run it often (only once so far), and Malwarebytes anti-malware, which I run manually and haven't recently.
Browsing Win7 forums I found something about the passwords stored in the "vault," but nothing suggested there worked.