brisbane for real this time

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
About time I'd say! I was almost going to call it a vapour launch, not a paper launch! :lol:

Too bad it has to be bought in a combo config though. :?

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Although it is an OEM version, it is an excellent deal!
What suprises me is the 2x512kB L2 isntead of 2x256kB. But its freqfency is reduced to 1.9GHz.

Also it must be purchased as a combo with a BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 mainboard!

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
wtf? i still count this as paper launch bio star???????
Of course it was a paper launch! One and half months were needed to appear in stock in any market and be able to purchase a OEM in a combo with mainboard!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Of course it was a paper launch! One and half months were needed to appear in stock in any market and be able to purchase a OEM in a combo with mainboard!

I know. They should be taken out and flogged.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Although it is an OEM version, it is an excellent deal!
What suprises me is the 2x512kB L2 isntead of 2x256kB. But its freqfency is reduced to 1.9GHz.

Also it must be purchased as a combo with a BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 mainboard!
1M L2, 1.9GHz (8.5 multi), good, but like the E4300 is overpriced; in 3-6 weeks it will drop (the OEM) near $90-95 and hopefuly will provide some much needed, beefy sales for AMD like the 805 did for Intel.
The 90nm (2.0GHz/ 2x256 L2) is better but tis is good also.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Just check other brisbane reviews around; it's not an OC-ing monster but 2.5-2.6G on air are the standard and not bad for something that cheap.

Oh I know. I'd just like to see what it would take to get it to 3+.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
I was also looking for TDP. The 3600+ chip doesn't appear on the AMD CPU specifications chart. Is this one of those products that was never supposed to reach the channel, and only be sold OEM, kind of like the T7600G?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I was also looking for TDP. The 3600+ chip doesn't appear on the AMD CPU specifications chart. Is this one of those products that was never supposed to reach the channel, and only be sold OEM, kind of like the T7600G?

Maybe, I dunno. Am I the only one that wouldn't be surprised with a 35W TDP?

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
I'm thinking it's likely we'll see a 35 TDP on this part. That would make it an excellent candidate for a ultra-quiet small form factor HTPC, considering how much cheaper it is than buying a Turion.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Why not? You were right up there with the rest of the horde crying 'paper launch' and vilifying Intel when C2D came out. But now the shoe is on the other foot and its AMD, so you want to 'play it cool' and sarcastically slough off their paper launch? The tactic might work if you didnt have a documented history of AMD fanboi fanatisism.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Why not? You were right up there with the rest of the horde crying 'paper launch' and vilifying Intel when C2D came out. But now the shoe is on the other foot and its AMD, so you want to 'play it cool' and sarcastically slough off their paper launch? The tactic might work if you didnt have a documented history of AMD fanboi fanatisism.

I think he was kidding, Turpit. You've also got to give AMD a little more benefit of the doubt in these things compared to Intel due to their significantly smaller fab capacity. Everyone knew OEMs were going to be eating up the first round of 65nm parts - and that's not really a bad thing - as we've seen the first batch wasn't all that great. Let the OEM consumers far less concerned about benchmarks and a few FPS have them.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Baron was being sarca
I think he was kidding, Turpit. You've also got to give AMD a little more benefit of the doubt in these things compared to Intel due to their significantly smaller fab capacity. Everyone knew OEMs were going to be eating up the first round of 65nm parts - and that's not really a bad thing - as we've seen the first batch wasn't all that great. Let the OEM consumers far less concerned about benchmarks and a few FPS have them.

Aj,

Lol, if your join date is correct, you werent here for the C2D inferno last year, and you missed the likes of MMM who was banned (but now appears as MrsD and MrsBytch), Sharikoupoo-poo(banned), 9inch(banned, reappeared as barcelona-extreme-banned again) all raging against C2D crying "cooked Benchmarks, paid off web sites etc etc. When C2D was released, all these guys (including Baron, but not Shari who was banned by that time) could do was cry paper launch. The interesting thing is, C2Ds were in stock, and people bought them on day one of announced availability, but still the 'horde' cried paper launch.

Here we are, 6 months later, and finaly Brisbane shows up over a month after announced availability. Some of us have been rubbing the hordes face in the paper launch pile of poo they deposited on C2D, Given their paper launch FUD with C2D, the best they can respond with is disgruntled half-witted attempts to slough of AMDs failure to deliver.

It was the same thing with Kentsfield. AMD poked fun at Intel and called the C2Q a "glued" dualcore. The horde jumped all over that moniker and bandied it about like Tristans shield. Then AMD released QFX. What is QFX? Using AMD and the hordes logic, its a "glued" mobo quadcore, which makes it an infinitely less elegant solution than Intels. You dont see to many of the horde running around using the 'glued' descriptor anymore

Its called Hypocrisy and Baron is guilty--vilifying Intel and creating problems where none exist yet attempting to justify, explain away or slough off the same or worse actions when they are made by AMD

As for giving any one, AMD, Intel or whoever any benefit of the doubt....I disagree. If a company states retail availability will commennce on a given date, and it doesnt, then that company is guilty of false advertising, in the case of CPUs-paper launches.

Intel has been equally if not more guilty of paper launching products in the past. Personally, I never tried to discredit them by crying 'paper launch' but when the horde (of which Baron is a charter member) started crying C2D paper launch when there was in fact no paper launch (AKA spreading FUD) .......well whats good for the goose is good for the gander, and if the horde cant stand the fire, they shouldnt run around with flame throwers spraying anything they dont like.

I cant wait to see Barons response..."....I never said paper launch...", at which point 3 or 4 people will drag up his quotes, then Baron will start the backpeddling or counter accusations, and the thread will deteriorate into another anti Baron/AMD fanboi flame fest.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Show me that. I knew like everyone else that they would be in short supply for the first month. I don't think I've ever said the words "paper launch."

I'm the guy who says we should

ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!!!!!!!

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Baron was being sarca

Aj,

Lol, if your join date is correct, you werent here for the C2D inferno last year, and you missed the likes of MMM who was banned (but now appears as MrsD and MrsBytch), Sharikoupoo-poo(banned), 9inch(banned, reappeared as barcelona-extreme-banned again) all raging against C2D crying "cooked Benchmarks, paid off web sites etc etc. When C2D was released, all these guys (including Baron, but not Shari who was banned by that time) could do was cry paper launch. The interesting thing is, C2Ds were in stock, and people bought them on day one of announced availability, but still the 'horde' cried paper launch.

Here we are, 6 months later, and finaly Brisbane shows up over a month after announced availability. Some of us have been rubbing the hordes face in the paper launch pile of poo they deposited on C2D, Given their paper launch FUD with C2D, the best they can respond with is disgruntled half-witted attempts to slough of AMDs failure to deliver.

It was the same thing with Kentsfield. AMD poked fun at Intel and called the C2Q a "glued" dualcore. The horde jumped all over that moniker and bandied it about like Tristans shield. Then AMD released QFX. What is QFX? Using AMD and the hordes logic, its a "glued" mobo quadcore, which makes it an infinitely less elegant solution than Intels. You dont see to many of the horde running around using the 'glued' descriptor anymore

Its called Hypocrisy and Baron is guilty--vilifying Intel and creating problems where none exist yet attempting to justify, explain away or slough off the same or worse actions when they are made by AMD

As for giving any one, AMD, Intel or whoever any benefit of the doubt....I disagree. If a company states retail availability will commennce on a given date, and it doesnt, then that company is guilty of false advertising, in the case of CPUs-paper launches.

Intel has been equally if not more guilty of paper launching products in the past. Personally, I never tried to discredit them by crying 'paper launch' but when the horde (of which Baron is a charter member) started crying C2D paper launch when there was in fact no paper launch (AKA spreading FUD) .......well whats good for the goose is good for the gander, and if the horde cant stand the fire, they shouldnt run around with flame throwers spraying anything they dont like.

I cant wait to see Barons response..."....I never said paper launch...", at which point 3 or 4 people will drag up his quotes, then Baron will start the backpeddling or counter accusations, and the thread will deteriorate into another anti Baron/AMD fanboi flame fest.

I read all that, I lurked for a long while before I joined. I personally never took issue with the way Intel launched C2D, it takes time to produce processors and get them distributed.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I read all that, I lurked for a long while before I joined. I personally never took issue with the way Intel launched C2D, it takes time to produce processors and get them distributed.

I want to use the word "meh", but cant as the copy right is currently the subject of litigous dispute betwen Ninja and someone else.

Intel said C2D would be out and it was. It sold out in a day and the channel was thin for 4-6weeks, but they were there. Brisbane wasnt. Intel at least had some in the channel, and at etailers when the launch date arrived. AMD didnt.
Theres a big diiference between announced availability and releasing to the channel, but even if AMD only meant to imply that brisbane was to be released to the channel, or the OEMs, thats still different than saying, "you can buy one of these on day X". If day X comes, and theres no product, then theres no excuse. Had AMD at least said,we didnt mean retail availability" or "there is a delay", hey, great...no problem. But they didnt. They put the date out and left everyone hanging. There is no other decription: Paper Launch.

Ultimately, the point is moot at this time. Its finally hear and you can get it. :D