Newbie Question

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 13, 2004 1:04:05 PM

It's always a danger posting a newbie question into a tech group, but
here goes. I need to get educated on the latest HD equipment and
technology. I am most interested in the new equiment being sold and
bogus claims as to its HD capabilities. Any suggestions for Websites
that can do the trick? TIA

Dale

More about : newbie question

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 6:23:02 PM

"Dale" <dbh@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> It's always a danger posting a newbie question into a tech group, but
> here goes. I need to get educated on the latest HD equipment and
> technology. I am most interested in the new equiment being sold and
> bogus claims as to its HD capabilities. Any suggestions for Websites
> that can do the trick? TIA
>
> Dale

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=07555...
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 11:15:30 PM

...what do you mean by "Bogus HD Capabilities".

Anything marked HD-Ready can display a HD image (of varying quality
depending on technology).

"Dale" <dbh@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> It's always a danger posting a newbie question into a tech group, but
> here goes. I need to get educated on the latest HD equipment and
> technology. I am most interested in the new equiment being sold and
> bogus claims as to its HD capabilities. Any suggestions for Websites
> that can do the trick? TIA
>
> Dale
May 14, 2004 5:20:51 AM

Here's a good overview:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/t...

Once you really start getting into it I highly recommend:

http://www.avsforum.com/

Brad

"Dale" <dbh@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> It's always a danger posting a newbie question into a tech group, but
> here goes. I need to get educated on the latest HD equipment and
> technology. I am most interested in the new equiment being sold and
> bogus claims as to its HD capabilities. Any suggestions for Websites
> that can do the trick? TIA
>
> Dale
May 14, 2004 9:54:08 AM

I think they are talking about things like those Gateway models that
can't do true HD, some models can only do a "simulated HD" but for the
novice I can see how they wouldn't know the difference from the
marketing hype.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:15:30 GMT, "HeadRusch" <headrusch1@comcast.net>
wrote:

>..what do you mean by "Bogus HD Capabilities".
>
>Anything marked HD-Ready can display a HD image (of varying quality
>depending on technology).
>

>"Dale" <dbh@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> It's always a danger posting a newbie question into a tech group, but
>> here goes. I need to get educated on the latest HD equipment and
>> technology. I am most interested in the new equiment being sold and
>> bogus claims as to its HD capabilities. Any suggestions for Websites
>> that can do the trick? TIA
>>
>> Dale

May 15, 2004 5:23:22 AM

"Dale" <dbh@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> It's always a danger posting a newbie question into a tech group, but
> here goes. I need to get educated on the latest HD equipment and
> technology. I am most interested in the new equiment being sold and
> bogus claims as to its HD capabilities. Any suggestions for Websites
> that can do the trick? TIA
>
> Dale

Very nice Plasma and HDTV buyers guide and FAQ:

http://www.tvsplus.com/plasma_buyers_guide.php

http://www.tvsplus.com/faq.php

Jason
!