folder redirection - desktop

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 11, 2004 5:11:18 PM

Hi all -

I am working with GPOs and am happy to say my policy for
folder redirection of My Documents is working fine.
However, if I set up redirection for the Desktop to the
user's H: drive (home share on a server), it duplicates
everything.
Example:
My Documents is redirected to \\server\sharename\username
(H: drive).
I would like any documents that a user creates and trys to
save to the desktop be moved to the H: drive and not be
saved to the desktop.
In the GPO I set the path to \\server\sharename\username
(H: drive).
When I made a new text doc and saved to my desktop, logged
out and back in - the doc was on the desktop and in the H:
drive. This may be fine except, if I create a folder on
the H: drive it shows up on the desktop too. This is a
problem as we have .pst in a folder on the H: drive and if
it is on the desktop the user may accidently delete it.
We are also using roaming profiles with a 25mb limit that
may be affected if it is pulling all the info from the H:
drive.
Sorry for the long post! Call me very puzzled :)

thanks!
bef
August 12, 2004 4:40:48 PM

Use GPO to redirect the desktop folder to their h: drive.

Move the contents of Desktop to the new location Enabled

You need a desktop folder on the h drive

Policy Removal Behavior Leave contents

"bklyntech" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all -
>
> I am working with GPOs and am happy to say my policy for
> folder redirection of My Documents is working fine.
> However, if I set up redirection for the Desktop to the
> user's H: drive (home share on a server), it duplicates
> everything.
> Example:
> My Documents is redirected to \\server\sharename\username
> (H: drive).
> I would like any documents that a user creates and trys to
> save to the desktop be moved to the H: drive and not be
> saved to the desktop.
> In the GPO I set the path to \\server\sharename\username
> (H: drive).
> When I made a new text doc and saved to my desktop, logged
> out and back in - the doc was on the desktop and in the H:
> drive. This may be fine except, if I create a folder on
> the H: drive it shows up on the desktop too. This is a
> problem as we have .pst in a folder on the H: drive and if
> it is on the desktop the user may accidently delete it.
> We are also using roaming profiles with a 25mb limit that
> may be affected if it is pulling all the info from the H:
> drive.
> Sorry for the long post! Call me very puzzled :)
>
> thanks!
> bef
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:19:07 PM

thanks for the info Jared. Been a bit busy and had to put this to the side.
goingto implement tomorrow and see how it does.

!