Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Silver Sensor vs Radio Shack 15-1880 amplified indoor ante..

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 9:46:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Which is better for my situation, a Radio Shack 15-1880 amplified
indoor antenna ($50. and very ugly) or the famed unamplified Silver
Sensor ($20. and looks like sculpture).

I live in a 4 story building on the first floor in a city where the
broadcast towers are between 3 and 6.6 miles away. The problems are
ghosting due to nearby buildings and the fact that none of my windows
face any of the broadcast towers.

On my current Megawave antenna-analogue TV setup, I get all the
analogue signals but they look like hell compared to my cable; no snow
but some channels have ghosts and the picture looks washed out on my
50" TV. I am thinking of buying a HDTV so I can cut the cable line
forever. I have 5 HDTV channels in my area and that is enough for me,
but I want them all, not just 3 or 4.

Suggestions?

Christopher Calder
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 4:54:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I had better results with the Silver Sensor.

"Christopher Calder" <calderhome@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:e93fecf5.0405131646.46ce157b@posting.google.com...
> Which is better for my situation, a Radio Shack 15-1880 amplified
> indoor antenna ($50. and very ugly) or the famed unamplified Silver
> Sensor ($20. and looks like sculpture).
>
> I live in a 4 story building on the first floor in a city where the
> broadcast towers are between 3 and 6.6 miles away. The problems are
> ghosting due to nearby buildings and the fact that none of my windows
> face any of the broadcast towers.
>
> On my current Megawave antenna-analogue TV setup, I get all the
> analogue signals but they look like hell compared to my cable; no snow
> but some channels have ghosts and the picture looks washed out on my
> 50" TV. I am thinking of buying a HDTV so I can cut the cable line
> forever. I have 5 HDTV channels in my area and that is enough for me,
> but I want them all, not just 3 or 4.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Christopher Calder
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 4:54:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Check out this new antenna from Winegard-----

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...



I am not advocating this particular vendor, just providing a link to the
antenna---if you visit their website, it's loaded with good info about this
product---and it seems to be just what you are looking for/need


Ferdy




"Gary H" <nospamharperg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:o NUoc.3612$nm.2131@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
> I had better results with the Silver Sensor.
>
> "Christopher Calder" <calderhome@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:e93fecf5.0405131646.46ce157b@posting.google.com...
> > Which is better for my situation, a Radio Shack 15-1880 amplified
> > indoor antenna ($50. and very ugly) or the famed unamplified Silver
> > Sensor ($20. and looks like sculpture).
> >
> > I live in a 4 story building on the first floor in a city where the
> > broadcast towers are between 3 and 6.6 miles away. The problems are
> > ghosting due to nearby buildings and the fact that none of my windows
> > face any of the broadcast towers.
> >
> > On my current Megawave antenna-analogue TV setup, I get all the
> > analogue signals but they look like hell compared to my cable; no snow
> > but some channels have ghosts and the picture looks washed out on my
> > 50" TV. I am thinking of buying a HDTV so I can cut the cable line
> > forever. I have 5 HDTV channels in my area and that is enough for me,
> > but I want them all, not just 3 or 4.
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> > Christopher Calder
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 4:59:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Christopher Calder" <calderhome@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:e93fecf5.0405131646.46ce157b@posting.google.com...
> Which is better for my situation, a Radio Shack 15-1880 amplified
> indoor antenna ($50. and very ugly) or the famed unamplified Silver
> Sensor ($20. and looks like sculpture).

If any of your local HDTV stations broadcast on VHF, a UHF-only antenna will
not meet your needs. For example, Chicago's CBS affiliate (WBBM) broadcasts
its HD signal (labeled as channel 2-1) on channel 3.
May 14, 2004 7:55:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I had the Trek mounted on the dish outside and it stunk. I got the Silver
Sensor and it is AWESOME. I get ALL of the HD channels in Boston and I am
20+ miles away from the towers. The Trek if I was lucky I got 5 channels.
I get 12 with the Zenith.
"Christopher Calder" <calderhome@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:e93fecf5.0405131646.46ce157b@posting.google.com...
> Which is better for my situation, a Radio Shack 15-1880 amplified
> indoor antenna ($50. and very ugly) or the famed unamplified Silver
> Sensor ($20. and looks like sculpture).
>
> I live in a 4 story building on the first floor in a city where the
> broadcast towers are between 3 and 6.6 miles away. The problems are
> ghosting due to nearby buildings and the fact that none of my windows
> face any of the broadcast towers.
>
> On my current Megawave antenna-analogue TV setup, I get all the
> analogue signals but they look like hell compared to my cable; no snow
> but some channels have ghosts and the picture looks washed out on my
> 50" TV. I am thinking of buying a HDTV so I can cut the cable line
> forever. I have 5 HDTV channels in my area and that is enough for me,
> but I want them all, not just 3 or 4.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Christopher Calder
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 9:24:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"eric" <eric.pelser@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<vZ5pc.60376$wY.36804@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...
> I had the Trek mounted on the dish outside and it stunk. I got the Silver
> Sensor and it is AWESOME. I get ALL of the HD channels in Boston and I am
> 20+ miles away from the towers. The Trek if I was lucky I got 5 channels.
> I get 12 with the Zenith.
------------------------------
Eric,

What kind of tuner do you have?

Do you have to move the antenna around allot to get all the stations?

Do you think the Silver Sensor will work for me, given I am on the
first floor of a 4 story building and no windows face the broadcast
stations?

Christopher Calder
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 1:39:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:59:41 GMT, "Lawrence G. Mayka"
<lgmayka000@ameritech.net> wrote:

>"Christopher Calder" <calderhome@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:e93fecf5.0405131646.46ce157b@posting.google.com...
>> Which is better for my situation, a Radio Shack 15-1880 amplified
>> indoor antenna ($50. and very ugly) or the famed unamplified Silver
>> Sensor ($20. and looks like sculpture).
>
>If any of your local HDTV stations broadcast on VHF, a UHF-only antenna will
>not meet your needs. For example, Chicago's CBS affiliate (WBBM) broadcasts
>its HD signal (labeled as channel 2-1) on channel 3.

I combine a silver sensor and a regular FM dipole antenna to pick up
local UHF and VHF HDTV. The simple dipole thing cost $5 and works
like a charm on the VHF HDTV signals.

Also check out this document from the new USDTV HDTV service:

http://www.usdtv.com/pdf/dtv_reception.pdf
August 8, 2008 12:52:00 AM

to,christopher calder; try 'toptronic 'is in door anteena" also check inter net for anteena sold on ebay.com for $59.00&free shipping but it has no ajustments to increase gain & you have to plug it in ac/power. it works to a point but also for hd you need to buy hd box , try first+ at ride-aid drug stores called actesse to hd! very small box for hd silver in color! maybe radio shack will come up with a gain boost for hd anteenas but we have to see if this happens!from william k.roderick3/wkr333@hotmail.com
!