January 19, 2007 12:58:01 PM

Hi guys,

Just built a new system last night with the following:
Abit IB9
E6300 (stock hsf)
eVGA 7600 gt
400 watt psu
ocz gold xtc 1 GB DDR2 6400 (800 mhz)

I don't know if anyone has any experience with the IB9 (I couldn't find much info about it), but I've had a few problems getting this system ready.
#1 is that the machine fires up for 5 seconds, then turns itself off for another 5 seconds, then reboots on its own and it's good to go. I've never heard of anything like this. If it booted for a few seconds and shut down and that was it, I'd guess it's the PSU, but to reboot and be fine? And it does this at every restart and cold start, by the way. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
#2 is the stupid intel hsf. I had a lot of trouble getting it attached, but I'm 90% sure it's attached properly finally. The first few times I started it (after the boot on/off/on again), the cpu temp in BIOS was pretty high for a very first boot (75-80 C). My first thought had to be that the temperature sensors weren't working correctly. How can a cpu get up to 75-80 degrees almost immediately on its first boot ever? With a hsf attached. So once I got windows installed, I let the machine run over night, just idling. In the morning, the idle temp was at 70 C. That makes no sense! I haven't installed any of the MB drivers or utilities, yet, but that shouldn't make a difference, right? Again, thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

thanks!
January 19, 2007 1:13:56 PM

It wasn't necessarily a problem with the hsf design as much as the motherboard holes, maybe. I'm not sure. The design is way better than the old way I had with my Athlon XP 2400+.
They pegs just didn't want to snap in. They'd go in and I'd twist clockwise, but wouldn't stay in. I'm pretty sure they're in, though, but I'll have to reinstall, maybe after taking it out of the case.
January 19, 2007 1:27:09 PM

Hi Neags23,
The thing is, the OEM cooler works well, but if it doesn't for whatever reason (like yours) you're in a world of crap...
You must disassemble it all and clean it all up, removing any traces of the plasticky OEM compound. The OEM compound is a one-shot deal - once you remove the cooler (or even move it, breaking the seal) you must start over again using ArcticSilver.
My E6400 idles @ 28C, with a mild OC to 2.4GHz (w/ OEM cooler and compound).
Regards
Related resources
January 19, 2007 1:54:58 PM

I actually did take the hsf off and clean off the oem goop, and put on some arcticsilver. I've seen a couple of different sites that tell you how to put it on, how much, etc. and some give different answers. One says to put dots of it on there, and let the hsf spread it out over time. Another said to put on a thin, even layer (which I did).
Problem is, it didn't seem to make a difference. Temps were the same. How thoroughly do you have to remove the old stuff? I read one person say to get alcohol and shine it up. But i just thoroughly wiped it off.
Anyone with ideas about the boot up problem?
January 19, 2007 2:13:47 PM

The heatsink/fan is not seated properly, when you push the 4 plugs through the motherboard, they should click, the only reason you would turn the black part, is to release the heatsink/fan, it would seem as if you're lucky it's holding on at all. The reboot problem would be because it's overheating, throttling down, and then it's okay, but again, because the heatsink/fan isn't properly seated, it's running at a high temp, even throttled down. Lucky you haven't burned the processor up yet. Make sure the 4 black parts are oriented the proper way, pop the heatsink/fan back onto the processor, and you should be okay.
January 19, 2007 2:21:30 PM

Quote:
The heatsink/fan is not seated properly, when you push the 4 plugs through the motherboard, they should click, the only reason you would turn the black part, is to release the heatsink/fan, it would seem as if you're lucky it's holding on at all. The reboot problem would be because it's overheating, throttling down, and then it's okay, but again, because the heatsink/fan isn't properly seated, it's running at a high temp, even throttled down. Lucky you haven't burned the processor up yet. Make sure the 4 black parts are oriented the proper way, pop the heatsink/fan back onto the processor, and you should be okay.

If that's the case, properly reinstalling the hsf should solve the boot up problem, too?
Seems odd that the cpu temp would soar high enough in 3-5 seconds to cause a shut down, reboot itself, and it's fine.
January 19, 2007 2:26:20 PM

Quote:
The heatsink/fan is not seated properly...Lucky you haven't burned the processor up yet.

Yes.
The mobo must really be out of the case to confirm proper HSF retention...
If the mobo is installed and you're still messing with the cooler, it's not a good situation. :( 
Good luck,
L8R
January 19, 2007 2:41:57 PM

Okay, looks like I'm just gonna have to remove the MB, and get rough with the hsf. But I can't do that for another 6 hours or so. Hopefully the damn thing doesn't fall out and smash into my brand new video card :roll:
January 19, 2007 10:45:15 PM

So the temperature problem is fixed. I guess you really have to shove those heat sink pegs in there. Thought I was gonna break the MB.
Unfortunately the boot up problem is still there. Anyone have a clue?????
January 20, 2007 2:17:11 PM

Quote:
you really have to shove those heat sink pegs in there. Thought I was gonna break the MB.

Yes! I guess that describes it pretty well, LoL. The attachment could be called 'crude but effective', heheh... it's an Intel thing.
Now, regarding your startup :?
This may be your perception of the startup (as being different than you are used to).
I know my own rig, all fans including my Radeon fan come on @ full speed when I first press power - then they drop right off and there is a silent moment, then they throttle back up a bit again as the rig begins to POST after a short delay...
But your description sounds not exactly like that...?
Quote:
the machine fires up for 5 seconds, then turns itself off for another 5 seconds, then reboots on its own and it's good to go.

Hmmm, that sounds like what mine does when you save newly-changed BIOS settings, or when it has to identify new memory or a new harddisk or something.
But "10 seconds", if timed accurately, is a fairly long time - are you being quite accurate here or does it just SEEM like forever...?
Different mobos are gonna POST differently (but I can tell you it's not an ABit thing per se).
If it does not 'settle down' and become quicker over time in daily use, you might check with ABit. There are FAQs on their website, and remember: If you are having an issue, others are too! :D 
But I'm sorry, I'm unfamiliar with that specific board.
The BIOS setup is very important and there are many options in there regarding startup/POST/boot sequence etc...
Remember, OCZ likes ~2.0V at least for memory.
Are you running your memory synchronously, or attempting to run 800MHz speed with default (266MHz) FSB coreclock?
I'll bet sooner or later you will increase your FSB to at least 300 or maybe 333 - in which case you should revert to 1:1 synchronous clocking.
Why not try that (set memory to 533DDR in BIOS) to see if it impacts your startup routine?
This mobo is very new, and you are blazing a bit of an early-adopter path through uncharted territory here...
Actually, ABit would probably love to get feedback from you on your experiences.
Get used to and learn your new equipment, and maybe some fiddling will further modify its behavior in ways you have not yet seen,
Regards
January 22, 2007 11:13:44 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, that sounds like what mine does when you save newly-changed BIOS settings, or when it has to identify new memory or a new harddisk or something.
But "10 seconds", if timed accurately, is a fairly long time - are you being quite accurate here or does it just SEEM like forever...?
Different mobos are gonna POST differently (but I can tell you it's not an ABit thing per se).

I've tinkered around with the BIOS settings quite a bit (got it overclocked at 380 FSB so far), plugged in different hard drives, and without a video card. The same thing happenes. The first boot time varies a little, anywhere from a full second that it boots before turning off up to 3-4 seconds. Then the machine completely powers down. The power down time is only as long as it takes for the fans to stop spinning, but that's a good 3 seconds. And I know it's not just fans powering down, because the IB9 has a light indicating when the system is on and another for when it has power. The power light never wavers, but the first light turns off.
I'll check on Abit's website, but looking at the IB9 page, they don't have much up for it so far.
Thanks for your responses!
January 27, 2007 1:00:52 PM

from the abit forum:
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=118735&page=...

maxwedge wrote:
Re: Abit IB9
Do you guys know that theres a beta bios for this board??
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=119222

it looks like it works because:

bluemaverick wrote:
Re: Abit IB9
Without touch anything else....my max reach 298FSB, will play with the rest of the setting more. No more booting issue compare to 1.1BIOS...

i just got my system with an e6300 and ib9 put together yesterday, but i haven't had time to set it up yet because I'm out of town for the weekend. I'll update when I get back on monday. i did notice when i fired it up for a few seconds that it did the on-off-on cycle with the original bios.
I tried both the 1.2 bios (available if you browse the FTP site at abit) and the 1.3 beta bios. Neither one fixed the on/off bug for me. I still like the board and am confident that abit will be able to fix the bug. It doesn't really bother me because I don't shutdown/restart all that often anyway.

BTW I am running at 333mhz fsb with 1:1 memory at 4-4-4-12 on stock cooling without any tweaking. I know it could go faster, but I haven't had any time to play with it and I just wanted a stable system for now.