GPO works on second logon - not first logon.

When we create a new user and they login for the first time, the GPO doesn't
take effect.
If we logout and then login again - everything works properly.
Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this?
Graham

Is the client XP? If so, then by default XP has "fast logon optimization"
turned on, which can cause the effect you're seeing for certain policies,
such as folder redirection, software installation, scripts (I think). Try
enabling this policy on those XP machines to prevent that:

Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|System|Logon|Always wait for
the network at computer startup and logon
--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management

"Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message
> When we create a new user and they login for the first time, the GPO
> doesn't
> take effect.
> If we logout and then login again - everything works properly.
> Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this?
> Graham

It's a WinXPe thin client device conecting to a Win2k3 terminal server.
I'm not sure how to change these settings on a thin client device running
WinXPe.
Can't seem to find local security policy.
I can change these settings in a GPO, but the thin clients aren't listed in
any OU.

Graham
"Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is the client XP? If so, then by default XP has "fast logon optimization"
> turned on, which can cause the effect you're seeing for certain policies,
> such as folder redirection, software installation, scripts (I think). Try
> enabling this policy on those XP machines to prevent that:
>
> Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|System|Logon|Always wait
for
> the network at computer startup and logon
> --
> Darren Mar-Elia
> MS-MVP-Windows Management
> http://www.gpoguy.com
>

> "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message
> > When we create a new user and they login for the first time, the GPO
> > doesn't
> > take effect.
> > If we logout and then login again - everything works properly.
> > Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this?
> > Graham

Well that's a good one! I've not come across those before. Can you get to a
registry editor on those machines? If so, then you can set the reg value
directly. Its under HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SyncForegroundPolicy
Set it to REG_DWORD=0x1

--

> It's a WinXPe thin client device conecting to a Win2k3 terminal server.
> I'm not sure how to change these settings on a thin client device running
> WinXPe.
> Can't seem to find local security policy.
> I can change these settings in a GPO, but the thin clients aren't listed
> in
> any OU.
>
> Graham
> "Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is the client XP? If so, then by default XP has "fast logon optimization"
>> turned on, which can cause the effect you're seeing for certain
>> policies,
>> such as folder redirection, software installation, scripts (I think). Try
>> enabling this policy on those XP machines to prevent that:
>>
>> Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|System|Logon|Always wait
> for
>> the network at computer startup and logon
>> --
>> Darren Mar-Elia
>> MS-MVP-Windows Management
>> http://www.gpoguy.com
>>

>> "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message
>> > When we create a new user and they login for the first time, the GPO
>> > doesn't
>> > take effect.
>> > If we logout and then login again - everything works properly.
>> > Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this?
>> > Graham

On my WinXPe thin client, the registry looks a little different.
I can get as far as HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\

There are only two keys under 'Windows NT' = Printers , Terminal Services.
I can try to create the rest of the path and will let you know what happens.

> Well that's a good one! I've not come across those before. Can you get to
> registry editor on those machines? If so, then you can set the reg value
> directly. Its under HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SyncForegroundPolicy
> Set it to REG_DWORD=0x1
>

> --
> Darren Mar-Elia
> MS-MVP-Windows Management
> http://www.gpoguy.com
>

> "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message
> > It's a WinXPe thin client device conecting to a Win2k3 terminal server.
> > I'm not sure how to change these settings on a thin client device
running
> > WinXPe.
> > Can't seem to find local security policy.
> > I can change these settings in a GPO, but the thin clients aren't listed
> > in
> > any OU.
> >
> > Graham
> > "Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> >> Is the client XP? If so, then by default XP has "fast logon
optimization"
> >> turned on, which can cause the effect you're seeing for certain
> >> policies,
> >> such as folder redirection, software installation, scripts (I think).
Try
> >> enabling this policy on those XP machines to prevent that:
> >>
> >> Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|System|Logon|Always
wait
> > for
> >> the network at computer startup and logon
> >> --
> >> Darren Mar-Elia
> >> MS-MVP-Windows Management
> >> http://www.gpoguy.com
> >>

> >> "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message

Many many thanks GPOGUY! It worked! Now I'm going to have to tweek all
these new thin clients devices before they go out on the desktops. (The reg
setting has to be written to a chip where the OS is located)
Really appreciate the quick response as well!
Regards,
Graham
"Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well that's a good one! I've not come across those before. Can you get to
> registry editor on those machines? If so, then you can set the reg value
> directly. Its under HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SyncForegroundPolicy
> Set it to REG_DWORD=0x1
>

> --
> Darren Mar-Elia
> MS-MVP-Windows Management
> http://www.gpoguy.com
>

> "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message
> > It's a WinXPe thin client device conecting to a Win2k3 terminal server.
> > I'm not sure how to change these settings on a thin client device
running
> > WinXPe.
> > Can't seem to find local security policy.
> > I can change these settings in a GPO, but the thin clients aren't listed
> > in
> > any OU.
> >
> > Graham
> > "Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> >> Is the client XP? If so, then by default XP has "fast logon
optimization"
> >> turned on, which can cause the effect you're seeing for certain
> >> policies,
> >> such as folder redirection, software installation, scripts (I think).
Try
> >> enabling this policy on those XP machines to prevent that:
> >>
> >> Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|System|Logon|Always
wait
> > for
> >> the network at computer startup and logon
> >> --
> >> Darren Mar-Elia
> >> MS-MVP-Windows Management
> >> http://www.gpoguy.com
> >>

> >> "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message

Is there a way to set this policy in AD on a DC? We are
currently running Windows 2003 but I don't see this policy
setting in AD. If it's not there by default can it be
imported from a template?

Thanks.