Any Major Advantages: P5B-E and P5B Deluxe

TheLaughingMan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I'm not going Crossfire or SLI and plan to do some mild OC with the E4300. Other then the cost of course, Are there any noticibly advantages between the two?

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
why the E4300?
Also, will the P5B deluxe do better with DDR2-800 CL4 or CL5, 1.8v or 2.1v ??
I think if you want crossfire, you need the deluxe.
the 4300 is a great overclocking CPU

do you need any features that the Deluxe has?
the P5B-E should be fine

even the Cheaper Gigabyte 965p-S3 would work well(unless you need Firewire, eSATA)

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I notice the E4300 has a 9x multiplier. 200 * 9
I guess then with getting the FSB up to 400 Mhz with DDR2 800 should get up to 3.6 Ghz fairly easy?
Realistic?

TheLaughingMan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I don't see whats the major difference between the deluxe and the express. Why does everyone get the Deluxe? am I missing something :? , I'm comparing the specs and there almost identical, granted that the deluxe has a few extra features. :?

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I don't see whats the major difference between the deluxe and the express. Why does everyone get the Deluxe? am I missing something :? , I'm comparing the specs and there almost identical, granted that the deluxe has a few extra features. :?

Extra PCI-X16 slot (yeah, you may not want to Crossfire today, but... never say never), 2 extra internal SATA ports, heat-pipe cooling on the mosfetts and northbridge, a better sound chip, better positioning of the peripheral connectors, quad-core ready (not sure if the -E is capable), accessory cooling fan for the mosfett heat-sink, firewire bracket, noise-cancelling microphone. Is this stuff worth an extra $30?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

Extra PCI-X16 slot (yeah, you may not want to Crossfire today, but... never say never), 2 extra internal SATA ports, heat-pipe cooling on the mosfetts and northbridge, a better sound chip, better positioning of the peripheral connectors, quad-core ready (not sure if the -E is capable), accessory cooling fan for the mosfett heat-sink, firewire bracket, noise-cancelling microphone. Is this stuff worth an extra $30?

That's about right. I just bougt the P5B Deluxe WiFi

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

That's about right. I just bougt the P5B Deluxe WiFi

Oh, yeah, and dual LAN on the deluxe, and in the case of enewmen, wireless LAN.

VTOLfreak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I don't see whats the major difference between the deluxe and the express. Why does everyone get the Deluxe?
Extra PCI-X16 slotThat extra 16x slot has only 4 lanes hooked up. The P965 chipset doesn't have enough lanes to fully cover two 16x slots. You really don't want to stick something like a data-hungry videocard in that slot. (You could but you'd only have 25% of the bandwidth the other 16x slot provides)

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I vaguely remember something about the Deluxe supplying the power to the CPU in 8 channel or something like that, for more stability at the CPU.
Does the P5B-E ahve that too?

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Yes, the Deluxe has an Asus 8-phase power supply which is cooled by a finned heatsink connected to a heat pipe. An optional fan is included for that HS in the case where water-cooling is used for the CPU. It is supposed to be a more stable type of power, esp when overclocking. Since none of these features is mentioned anywhere in ASUS literature -- web specs, manual -- regarding the -E and the vanilla P5B, I would assume it is not included. If you look at pix of these MB's, you'll see a different number of mosfets around the CPU socket between the Deluxe, and the others.