Aljazera

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hi,

I just completed putting together my new computer and to my surprise it actually booted up. I took off the AI Logo so i can see which version of bios i had and it stated 0305; on Asus they give me Bios 0701; I want to flash these new bios, but it comes in a zip file. I'm completely confused about bios and if I'm choosing the right one and how to update them. If anyone could help with this I'd appreciate your help.

System:

Asus M2N-E
Sapphire X1900GT
Corsair XMS2 1G DDR-675 (CL4, but being recognized as 5-5-5-18)
160GB WD 7k2

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
the BIOS updade utility that runs in windows should be included in your motherboard driver CD. What i would do is just use the download tool (you may need to go to the ASUS website and download the latest version of the BIOS updater from them, it is a tiny file). the download tool should connect to asus and bring up all the versions of your bios.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

there are a lot of links that will help you. i had never done it before on any motherboard and i was happy to see how easy it was. they will encourage you to backup your old bios version. then just step up version by version and check system stability with each one.

Aljazera

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I actually haven't done a thing, as in installing windows, I booted this baby up last night and was happy that I went to sleep. I just woke up and I was able to flash the Motherboard to 0602. Thanks for the advice on using the Motherboard CD, i forgot to do that part. First, though, I'm going to go ahead and install my Windows MCE I just got off Newegg. I do have one question, how do i change my memory timings to the stock speed.

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
just poke around in your bios. look for a setting that says [Auto] in reference to memory. or look in your documentation maybe.

Aljazera

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Thanks for the help firetatoo,

I'll look into that a little bit later when i get Windows installed. Its weird though, I have an AMD X2 3800+ and this formatting through windows installation is taking a long a$$ time.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Do you know if you need the new BIOS? If everything is working and you're not really comfortable flashing the BIOS (it's not hard) you can always stick with the version you have. If there are performance enhancements or bugfixes, flash to new version.