Terminal Services ppc or desktop active?

April 15, 2005 2:34:26 PM

Now that I have Terminal Service connection between my ppc and XP I note
that I can be logged on to only one or the other. Is this correct
operation? This then is unlike using Symantec PCAnywhere.

If I am logged on via the ppc will all running applications keep running? I
tried this with WinDVD6 but although on the ppc I can see the WinDVD6 I
cannot start playing a dvd from the ppc (to play as normal on the PC)

Beemer
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:34:27 PM

"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Now that I have Terminal Service connection between my ppc and XP I note
>that I can be logged on to only one or the other. Is this correct
>operation? This then is unlike using Symantec PCAnywhere.

Correct. the Terminal Services service in XP only allows one user at a
time to be logged in. The other is either logged off (domain settings)
or is fast user switched out (non-domain settings)

>If I am logged on via the ppc will all running applications keep running? I
>tried this with WinDVD6 but although on the ppc I can see the WinDVD6 I
>cannot start playing a dvd from the ppc (to play as normal on the PC)

Depends on how your PC is set up - domain or not. Besides, you won't
be able to watch a movie over the TS session. Too much bandwidth. RDP
won't even try to send the data.

April 15, 2005 3:28:07 PM

If your real goal in all this is to watch movies on your PPC, your best
approach is to get a DVD ripper (google - tons available) and rip the dvd's
down to smaller size and various formats depending on your preferences, then
play them directly on your device from a memory card, or use a file explorer
like "resco" to map a network drive on your pc and play them from your PC
drive. once you get the hang of it it is really quite painless and with
surprising results.

"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| Now that I have Terminal Service connection between my ppc and XP I note
| that I can be logged on to only one or the other. Is this correct
| operation? This then is unlike using Symantec PCAnywhere.
|
| If I am logged on via the ppc will all running applications keep running?
| tried this with WinDVD6 but although on the ppc I can see the WinDVD6 I
| cannot start playing a dvd from the ppc (to play as normal on the PC)
|
| Beemer

Related resources
April 16, 2005 12:22:19 PM

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Now that I have Terminal Service connection between my ppc and XP I note
>that I can be logged on to only one or the other. Is this correct
>operation? This then is unlike using Symantec PCAnywhere.

Correct. the Terminal Services service in XP only allows one user at a
time to be logged in. The other is either logged off (domain settings)
or is fast user switched out (non-domain settings)

>If I am logged on via the ppc will all running applications keep running?
>tried this with WinDVD6 but although on the ppc I can see the WinDVD6 I
>cannot start playing a dvd from the ppc (to play as normal on the PC)

Depends on how your PC is set up - domain or not. Besides, you won't
be able to watch a movie over the TS session. Too much bandwidth. RDP
won't even try to send the data.

Ed,

Perhaps I should have made my point clearer by saying that I'm trying to use
my WLAN on 5550 to start and stop WinDVD6 movies being shown via S-vidio
link on my TV in a different room , I'm fed up starting the DVD at the
computer then after settling down I realise that I am still in DVD menu
mode. It would be nice to use the ppc terminals services to start the
movie.

I am not on a domain so not being saavy about terminal services (other than
getting it to work by disabling the TS ppc logon password thing) I don't
know whether all XP programs will work in the background when the ppc TS
client is logged on. Obviously I cannot see anything on the XP computer
except the logon screen.

Beemer
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:43:27 PM

Well that's not gonna work. With the remote desktop in XP Pro, you will take
over the machine when you log in with terminal services. The XP machine will
show only a log in screen. So if you start the DVD and then log in to the XP
box, you would have to go back to the XP box to log back in to it to run
anything on it.

Maybe Rudeo might be more what you are looking for
http://www.rudeo.com/default.htm

There is another app that sets up the PPC as a remote input device, like a
touch pad, that might work.
http://www.aacompserv.com/AACompWeb/PPCTablet/WhatIsIt....
--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices

> "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
> <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
> "Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Now that I have Terminal Service connection between my ppc and XP I note
>>that I can be logged on to only one or the other. Is this correct
>>operation? This then is unlike using Symantec PCAnywhere.
>
> Correct. the Terminal Services service in XP only allows one user at a
> time to be logged in. The other is either logged off (domain settings)
> or is fast user switched out (non-domain settings)
>
>>If I am logged on via the ppc will all running applications keep running?
>>tried this with WinDVD6 but although on the ppc I can see the WinDVD6 I
>>cannot start playing a dvd from the ppc (to play as normal on the PC)
>
> Depends on how your PC is set up - domain or not. Besides, you won't
> be able to watch a movie over the TS session. Too much bandwidth. RDP
> won't even try to send the data.

> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Ed,
>
> Perhaps I should have made my point clearer by saying that I'm trying to
> use
> my WLAN on 5550 to start and stop WinDVD6 movies being shown via S-vidio
> link on my TV in a different room , I'm fed up starting the DVD at the
> computer then after settling down I realise that I am still in DVD menu
> mode. It would be nice to use the ppc terminals services to start the
> movie.
>
> I am not on a domain so not being saavy about terminal services (other
> than
> getting it to work by disabling the TS ppc logon password thing) I don't
> know whether all XP programs will work in the background when the ppc TS
> client is logged on. Obviously I cannot see anything on the XP computer
> except the logon screen.
>
> Beemer

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 10:43:58 PM

"Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well that's not gonna work. With the remote desktop in XP Pro, you will take
>over the machine when you log in with terminal services. The XP machine will
>show only a log in screen. So if you start the DVD and then log in to the XP
>box, you would have to go back to the XP box to log back in to it to run
>anything on it.
>
>Maybe Rudeo might be more what you are looking for
>http://www.rudeo.com/default.htm
>
>There is another app that sets up the PPC as a remote input device, like a
>touch pad, that might work.
>http://www.aacompserv.com/AACompWeb/PPCTablet/WhatIsIt....

Or VNC, which is simply more of a remote control program rather than
logging in like Remote Desktop does. www.realvnc.com for the server
portion and google for the VNC PPC client.
April 18, 2005 2:05:07 PM

You could try PTvncGPRS (or PTvncHiRes if your PPC is VGA),
both available from Handango and PocketGear including trial versions.

______
!