Sign in with
Your question

ATI Physics due first week of Feb.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2007 2:20:21 PM

I purchased a 1600Pro card for $100 at Best Buy a few weeks ago and all talk of physics seems to have gone dead. I was getting antsy so I called ATI and was told that they are on track to release the Physics enablement the first week of Feb. However, Vista is not required and Shader 2.0 is minimum and apparently when asked they said a faster card will NOT give you better physics.

Apparently there must be games coming out in Feb that support it. Here are some possible candidates. I have not checked them out to see if they do or not just possible candidates

War Rock

War Front

Supreme Commander( Highly anticipated)

Maelstrom-( I just learned about this one)
INTERVIEW WITH CARL JOHNSON, LEAD GAME DESIGNER FOR MAELSTROM AT CODEMASTERS

Why should someone buy Maelstrom?

Maelstrom is an action RTS game that is the most destructive and awe-inspiring game imaginable. We’re offering never-before-seen environmental destructibility and customization (terraforming), control over natural disasters (tornadoes, meteors, etc) and three very different factions, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. We’ve taken all this great stuff, packaged it with beautifully detailed graphics, tight camera controls and brilliant gameplay. Take a look at some of the screenshots and you’ll see what I mean. Not to mention the third-person control mode that we added for even more custom control.

MARCH RELEASES that look interesting
Ghost recon 2
STALKER
C&C3

Any way just an update
January 19, 2007 4:40:41 PM

also company of heroes will be the first to use dx10 in its patch later in Q1 07, im surious how it will improve gameplay ;) 
January 19, 2007 6:24:20 PM

Quote:
and apparently when asked they said a faster card will NOT give you better physics.

Doubtful that's true, even in ATi's own demo an X1900 was about 5 times fast than an X1600. The X1600 was about twice as fast as the AGEIA PPU and the X1900 was over 9X faster in their test. So seems to contradict their original statements.

Quote:
MARCH RELEASES that look interesting
Ghost recon 2
STALKER
C&C3

Doubtful that Stalker would have VPU physics. They barely finished the game as is adding phsyics isn't worth it IMO, but would be worth a future patch as is an option with Havok4 games.
!