exchange experiment

April 15, 2005 5:30:30 PM

I did an experiment on grps syncing with exchange and checking pop3.

each of them used about 5k so I don't think exchange really offers any
saving long term ?

ok yes, you can sync tasks and calendar but as the only user there won't be
changes ?

Sticking with pop3

David

More about : exchange experiment

April 15, 2005 6:46:51 PM

I've not tried POP3 recently, but Exchange is a bit like IMAP4 header-only
(preferred over POP3) with the extra calendar/tasks/contacts.

One thing worth noting is that if you sync from the Inbox only (not Active
Sync), then you have the option for an email-only sync (not everything).

Useful when you have integrated WiFi and GPRS, and don't want to both with a
cradle in the office.

br/

"David" <davidcleland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o a46pbbQFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I did an experiment on grps syncing with exchange and checking pop3.
>
> each of them used about 5k so I don't think exchange really offers any
> saving long term ?
>
> ok yes, you can sync tasks and calendar but as the only user there won't
> be changes ?
>
> Sticking with pop3
>
> David

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:58:24 PM

Hi

there are other advantages of exchange:
- More secure
- Backup of your Mobile data by syncing it to exchange
- Able to controll when to sync whth mobile schedule (peek time, off
peek time and so on)
- You can have exchange send your device a system SMS so the device
automaticly connect and retrieve sms when you get new mail.

--

Regards,
Allan Boegild Pedersen

"David" <davidcleland@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:o a46pbbQFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I did an experiment on grps syncing with exchange and checking pop3.
>
> each of them used about 5k so I don't think exchange really offers any
> saving long term ?
>
> ok yes, you can sync tasks and calendar but as the only user there won't
> be changes ?
>
> Sticking with pop3
>
> David

April 17, 2005 11:36:33 PM

All good points, and I am in agreement, but some practical words of
caution...

Re: Mobile Schedule, there is no intelligent error handling, so that if an
automated sync fails for whatever reason, it defaults to Manual. This means
you're never sure its working without checking the device.

Re: AUTD in the UK - none of the service providers support any sort of cost
effective service, for fear that it will cannibalise their SMS/Blackberry
revenues!

Let's hope that in WM2005 our friends at Microsoft have catered for real
wireless mobility users... here's hoping...

br/

!