problem on wireless with win 2003 server

asi

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
:?: Hi
I have a small network with win 2003 server and 2 stations.
All connected with a wireless LINKSYS WRT54G router.(the stations r connected
d by LAN)
I disabled the dhcp service on the router so now the server is providing ip
address to the stations.
I have a laptop which is trying to connect to the wireless router but no success
( i get the 169 ip).
i thought that because i disabled the dhcp on the router it will not give my
a wireless ip but I've been told that the router is getting the ip from the server and providing it to the wireless network so i'm supposed to get an ip
from the router that comes from the server but i guess it's not working.
so is it true? and if not what should i do?
and if it is true then what's wrong? why is it not working?
thanx
ASI

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If your ISP connection goes through the server, you need to turn off DHCP like you did. You do need to setup the WPA security on the AP side of the router. If you disabled all wireless security it should connect. Some router allow for the wireless clients to be on a seperate subnet. Re check the wireless settings in the router.

asi

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
My ISP connection goes through the router first and from their to all the stations including the server itself.
so in that case do u suggest i should enable the dhcp on router insted on the sever??

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Yes, The router should control the DHCP. Unless you are paying for seperate IP address for all of your machines. Now if you want specific machines to have the smae IP all the time you need to map the IP to the machines MAC address. Most All routes support this. As for your server you will setup a rule to direct access trafic to it.