Hiding Clock as a policy

Is is possible to hide the clock for a group of users.
Regional offices use terminal server to connect and we do
not want the time to display in the System Tray. Can
anyone provide me with an answer as the best way to do
this?

Hi

Not sure if this is available under Windows 2000 but certainly is under
Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP.

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar ->
Remove Clock from the system notification area

HTH
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"RLH" <rlh5@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is is possible to hide the clock for a group of users.
> Regional offices use terminal server to connect and we do
> not want the time to display in the System Tray. Can
> anyone provide me with an answer as the best way to do
> this?

Hi again

Just checked it out. This setting does not apply to Windows 2000. I'd
suggest running regmon from www.sysinternals.com to see what changes when
you toggle the option to show or hide the clock and then build your own .ADM
file to implement it.

HTH
--

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Not sure if this is available under Windows 2000 but certainly is under
> Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP.
>
> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and
> Taskbar -> Remove Clock from the system notification area
>
> HTH
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> rights.
>
> "RLH" <rlh5@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Is is possible to hide the clock for a group of users.
>> Regional offices use terminal server to connect and we do
>> not want the time to display in the System Tray. Can
>> anyone provide me with an answer as the best way to do
>> this?

Thank you Mark, Your suggestions were very helpful. I
don't suppose you know how I could change the CTL-ALT-DEL
Page on a Windows 2003 Server...we want to distinguish our
servers, one from another, at this starting point.

Thank you again.

confers no rights.

wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Not sure if this is available under Windows 2000 but
certainly is under
>> Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP.
>>
>> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start
Menu and
>> Taskbar -> Remove Clock from the system notification area
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> Windows Platform Support Team
>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>
>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email
address to email
>> me; I'll post a response back to the group.
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no
>> rights.
>>
>> "RLH" <rlh5@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Is is possible to hide the clock for a group of users.
>>> Regional offices use terminal server to connect and we do
>>> not want the time to display in the System Tray. Can
>>> anyone provide me with an answer as the best way to do
>>> this?
>>

>.

Hi Again -- I went to the GPO User Configuration --> Start
Menu and TaskBar, and di not see the "Remove clock...."
option. It wasn't there. This is a 2003 server.

Do you know how to add the option. I tried loading one of
the other .adm files, but it put it in the User
Configuration as Unsupported .adm. I would really like to
find out where the option you mentioned can be found. Any
ideas?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Not sure if this is available under Windows 2000 but
certainly is under
>> Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP.
>>
>> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start
Menu and
>> Taskbar -> Remove Clock from the system notification area
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> Windows Platform Support Team
>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>
>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email
address to email
>> me; I'll post a response back to the group.
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no
>> rights.
>>
>> "RLH" <rlh5@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Is is possible to hide the clock for a group of users.
>>> Regional offices use terminal server to connect and we do
>>> not want the time to display in the System Tray. Can
>>> anyone provide me with an answer as the best way to do
>>> this?
>>

>.

Hi

I'm not sure why you're not seeing the policy setting. It's part of the
default system.adm file on Windows Server 2003. Is the policy you're
attempting to edit something that's hanging around from an older operating
system? What happens if you create a brand new policy from scratch? The
setting is towards the end of the list by default.

HTH
--

> Hi Again -- I went to the GPO User Configuration --> Start
> Menu and TaskBar, and di not see the "Remove clock...."
> option. It wasn't there. This is a 2003 server.
>
> Do you know how to add the option. I tried loading one of
> the other .adm files, but it put it in the User
> Configuration as Unsupported .adm. I would really like to
> find out where the option you mentioned can be found. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.

It seems like it would be...This is a SBS2000 Server.
However, the client I am working with has an SBS2003
Server.

I did create a new Group policy. I looked at the
administrative template and it did not have the choice for
removing clock time. I looked at an existing one on
another server, and it also had exactly the same choices
under User Config/Administrative templates/Startmenu and
Taskmanager as the one I created. Any thoughts?

Um ... not sure how you'd do this without writing a custom GINA (neither
recommended nor trivial).