Help with upgrading

Jarii246

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
ok, straight to it....

I have:
P4(prescott) 3.2ghz socket 478 processor
1GB ddr400 RAM
X800 GTO video card(cant remember the memory ammount)
+various other devices(HDD, DVD-rom, etc...)
I am needing your opinion on what I should save up for upgrading, the current system that I want to buy is around $4000, so I am wanting to step upgrade, I figure my biggest problem is that my motherboard is out-dated, thus I need everything replaced......

Are there any Motherboards/ram/CPU that I can start saving for so I dont have to buy the whole system at once? And that will last me for about 2 years with upcomming tech? I am wanting to go SLI eventually, and I will most likely be buying the Core 2 Extreem(quad-core) CPU when I get the chance. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
For your situation, at a minimum, your going to need to purchase the new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card all at once. Newer motherboards for Core2Duo require socket 775, use DDR2 RAM, and PCIe graphics interfaces. None of your existing equipment is compatible.

You'll need a motherboard based on an nVidia chipset to support SLI, the only REAL choice for Intel's processors are based on the nVidia 600 series chipsets (650i, and 680i). Good Luck.