Sign in with
Your question

I can't believe this over clock evga 680i

Last response: in Overclocking
January 19, 2007 4:15:54 PM

3.2 ghz e6300 core 2 duo @ core 1.41v that is a over clock of 1340 mhz!

I have it on a evga 680i motherboard with a zalman 7900 led
Amazing stuff, the greatest over clock ive ever seen.

More about : clock evga 680i

January 20, 2007 12:41:29 AM

Hi,

As someone quite new to OC would you please tell me what you mean by
(602core, 859 memory) for the EVGA nforce 680i motherboard and (429mhz) for the 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR memory?

Are you saying you boosted the memory from 800 mhz to 859mhz?

To be honest, I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to tell me, step by step, what you did - what settings you changed.

This would help me a lot.

Thanks,

Stuart
January 20, 2007 1:03:57 AM

no offense, you must be new to OC'ing. that sort of OC is not unusual.

I have read many OC's of that and much higher. My 680i is pushing an E6400 to 3.6Ghz 450/1800 FSB and I don't think its that odd. Its just real nice that the C2D are so well designed to be able to do that.
Related resources
January 20, 2007 1:06:09 AM

I'm totally new to OC and trying to get a handle on it. So I figure maybe someone who has these results will spoon feed me to get me started.

Stuart,
January 20, 2007 1:48:18 AM

Quote:

I think you made a great OC, but you can keep going with your system ;) 

Make sure you stop increasing too fast the voltage
January 20, 2007 2:26:05 AM

I too have a 680I board and E6400 but when i try to hit 1800mhz(3.6Ghz) it wont boot and at 3.5ghz its very unstable, it runs fine a 3.41Ghz but still a little shakey times. I find it runs best at 3.2Ghz(400Mhz) and i get a 1:1 ratio with the 800mhz ram.

(i use the ARTIC 7 PRO freezer)
January 20, 2007 2:51:22 AM

Quote:
I too have a 680I board and E6400 but when i try to hit 1800mhz(3.6Ghz) it wont boot and at 3.5ghz its very unstable, it runs fine a 3.41Ghz but still a little shakey times. I find it runs best at 3.2Ghz(400Mhz) and i get a 1:1 ratio with the 800mhz ram.

(i use the ARTIC 7 PRO freezer)

I'm also runing an E6400 w/ an Arctic freezer 7 pro @ 3.2. It just fits together so well 1:1 with ram. yay for us!

Quote:

why would you spend $250 on a motherboard and then get an E6300? Coulda got a mobo for 100-150 less and got an E6600...
January 20, 2007 4:35:30 AM

Quote:

Sorry I didn't clarify more guys. I was trying to write this in about 1 min as I had to pick up my son from daycare.

So in regards to my over clock. I have read other people doing this rather easy. Heck it only took me uping the voltage on the cpu core to 1.4 volts and then holding my finger on the "+ "key for like 30 seconds then rebooting. So fine tuning didn't happen. As for the video card, same thing.

I did a lot of research on the net about the core 2 duo etc before I bought one. I pretty much just went all out on the new system. I bought the E6300, the lowest in the line simply because of the huge over clocking potential.

Yes I spent 250 dollars on the greatest motherboard you can get. and I don't regreat it. The fact I did get such a high over clock made me feel like saving money on the processor was worth it. I am going to do what I can to keep it going.

As for the ram I have the xms2 dominator from corsair the c4d version. It is over clocked total to something like 429mhz (850 ddr)

At this speed the temps with my zalman 7900 led is 115 degrees at idle and 129 degrees at full load, both cores at 100 percent using cpuburn in for 4 hours.

I am at nearly 9,800 on 3dmark 2006 using the 8800 GTS from evga.

This is all using windows xp and using the latest drivers and bios number 29 for the motherboard. It was the easiest 1300 over clock ive ever done im sure others have done better but considering it only took a short while and it works perfectly is just amazing to me. It really shows when you buy the best, motherboard psu ram etc it makes your over clocking life that much easier.

Anyway thanks for responding guys sorry for trying to act like I am the man. It's extremely exciting when you saved hundreds of dollars on the cpu, and you end up running up in the 800 dollar plus range processor wise.
January 20, 2007 12:13:50 PM

To squeeze all the juice of the processor maybe?
January 20, 2007 12:26:07 PM

Here is an update, I went for a little more over clock.

Still rock solid.

Core speed 3300
Multiplier 7.0
Bus speed 471.4 mhz
FSB speed 1885.5
Core voltage 1.384
fsb:D RAM 16:15 Ram ddr2 800 @ 442.9 mhz

I love this computer! Best 1500 dollars I ever spent ina computer can be built for 300 dollar world!
January 20, 2007 12:28:29 PM

Congrats! :D , see if you can keep going.

BTW, what are the temps?
January 20, 2007 12:44:01 PM

Quote:
Congrats! :D , see if you can keep going.

BTW, what are the temps?

Cpu 113f at idle 129f at full load cpu burn in x 2 running both cores at 100 percent.

system 93 degrees f
gpu 127 degrees at idle

I still haven't run into a ceiling yet I am just taking it slow and making sure it is stable at those speeds.

I heard the dominator c4d ram as of late wasn't over clocking very well, a 42 mhz over clock sounds pretty good to me considering my last set of nice corsair ram only would over clock to 15 mhz on my amd system with an nforce chipset.

I am still working on it just don't want a unstable system.
January 20, 2007 12:58:00 PM

Hi,

In getting the E6300 to run at 3.2 GHz, what is your FSB? Also, what is your multiplier?

Thanks,
January 20, 2007 1:13:20 PM

Those looks like nice temps, that zalman 9700 is helping a lot ;)  nice cooler you got there
January 20, 2007 1:20:19 PM

Quote:
Here is an update, I went for a little more over clock.

Still rock solid.

Core speed 3300
Multiplier 7.0
Bus speed 471.4 mhz
FSB speed 1885.5
Core voltage 1.384
fsb:D RAM 16:15 Ram ddr2 800 @ 442.9 mhz

I love this computer! Best 1500 dollars I ever spent ina computer can be built for 300 dollar world!

This is for sttobin. I am not sure if that quation about fsb etc was directed at me.

Yeah I love the zalman 9700 led! It's one nice quiet cooler.
January 20, 2007 1:35:50 PM

Hi,

My message was for you, and you have given me what I was asking for in your reply. You have helped me understand how to OC and I thank you for the information.
January 20, 2007 2:45:05 PM

Quote:
Hi,

My message was for you, and you have given me what I was asking for in your reply. You have helped me understand how to OC and I thank you for the information.

Tell us what your components are including power supply. I am not sure really truely what the key to a good over clock is. This was way too easy to take away any good experience. I had some experience with a nforce 4 and an amd athlon x2 3800+ and got it up to 2.4 ghz. So to walk away and not even be done yet with a 1.86 to 3300 mhz over clock (so far) I mean that is crazy.

The power supply is crucial as well as the quality of the motherboard. Ram at some point was but it doesn't look like its all that important when you have the ability to decouple ram and fsb speeds. I know before I went with amd however many years ago that was the main thing holding everything up. Everything would rise and some other component would fall out first. pci, ram or something.

Either Intel has intentionally under clocked these chips I mean what else explains the freaky over clock ability? Remember the time when you had a 333 mhz processor and getting it to 366 or 400 was a nice over clock? Crazy stuff.

I mean if you are coming out with a new processor that blows away the competition even at lower speeds, why not start at the lowest speed that makes them competitive then slowly release new models that increase performance. Intel has a long long time to put the death grip on amd now. If Amd can answer this amd killer which is core 2 duo, well it better be soon. They have lost all their momentum now and are really starting to struggle once again. I was a true amd fan, but when you find something this good for the price point. That is what competition is all about right?
January 20, 2007 3:11:19 PM

Hi,

What I am planning on doing is building a new system for myself. My most recent is three years old, a P4 3.4Ghz. I was thinking of the QX6700, the EVGA nforce 680i, 4 GB of Corsair TWIN2X2048-9136C5D,
Thermaltake’s Toughpower 850W PS, CoolIt Systems Freezone CPU Cooler because of the Quad's heat, and a SilverStone TJ09 case. I would get the Plextor you have. I have two 150GB Raptors which I bought back in Sept. when they were on sale at Newegg.

But then I started to read about OC. The above rig is really expensive and if I can get results that aren't too far from the above, why spend the money? But since I have never done OC, I had to understand, in a real world way, how to do it. So now I'm planning on duplicating your CPU, motherboard, memory and Zalman cooler. I will still buy the 850W PS and probably go with the Silverstone case.

I have also read about Gigabyte's motherboards but I am not fond of Gigabyte based on past experiences with that company. And I have had mixed results with ASUS motherboards in the past.

I am undecided on the graphics card. I'm not a gamer but do a lot of work with Photoshop so I don't believe I need a real high end card.

Finally, I will probably end up with Vista Ultimate as I may buy 4 GB of memory as the new version of Photoshop due to be released in March will, I believe, be able to to utilize 4 GB of memory.
January 20, 2007 3:15:01 PM

:roll: im doing that on a 965 board w/ crappier memory
January 20, 2007 3:28:55 PM

I wanted to reply separately to your thoughts about AMD vs. Intel. A year ago I was telling everyone that I thought AMD was way ahead of Intel. Then came July and I changed my tune.

I sure hope AMD will come out with CPU's that are better than or at least equal to Intel's current line. We benefit from the competition.

What bothers me about Intel is how they don't release upfront what we really want. According to Anandtech, they are coming out with 4MB cache versions of the 6300 and 6400 chips during Q2. Same pricing as now.
And then there is the E series with a lower FSB. I think one E series CPU is now available.

I also wonder how could AMD allow Intel to jump so far ahead of it? Where was their new product development?
January 20, 2007 3:54:39 PM

Quote:
Hi,

What I am planning on doing is building a new system for myself. My most recent is three years old, a P4 3.4Ghz. I was thinking of the QX6700, the EVGA nforce 680i, 4 GB of Corsair TWIN2X2048-9136C5D,
Thermaltake’s Toughpower 850W PS, CoolIt Systems Freezone CPU Cooler because of the Quad's heat, and a SilverStone TJ09 case. I would get the Plextor you have. I have two 150GB Raptors which I bought back in Sept. when they were on sale at Newegg.

But then I started to read about OC. The above rig is really expensive and if I can get results that aren't too far from the above, why spend the money? But since I have never done OC, I had to understand, in a real world way, how to do it. So now I'm planning on duplicating your CPU, motherboard, memory and Zalman cooler. I will still buy the 850W PS and probably go with the Silverstone case.

I have also read about Gigabyte's motherboards but I am not fond of Gigabyte based on past experiences with that company. And I have had mixed results with ASUS motherboards in the past.

I am undecided on the graphics card. I'm not a gamer but do a lot of work with Photoshop so I don't believe I need a real high end card.

Finally, I will probably end up with Vista Ultimate as I may buy 4 GB of memory as the new version of Photoshop due to be released in March will, I believe, be able to to utilize 4 GB of memory.

Yeah I bought a rapter and wasn't too impressed. The price just outweighs any real benefit. I did tests and yeah they were good low access and fairly high consistant speed. But burst speed was considerably lower then my regular wd and seagate drive.

As for the power supply the corsair one is the best power supply ive seen, its rated at 620 but I would say it would do higher then that. It's a accurately rated 620watt not one of those 1kilowatt one's that realistically put out lower when it gets hot.

As for vista I have used it for awhile now. I switched back to xp though and I dual booted for awhile. Xp is my only primary os now and vista will be staying off my machine for at least a few months. Driver situation needs some vast vast improvements. So 6 months after release when nvidia and everyone has put out several driver revisions for nforce 680 and the 8800 as well as sound card drivers. Nothing is supported in vista as of now. My previous video card had huge issues in vista which was a 7900 gt, game support was lousey at best.
January 20, 2007 4:00:51 PM

It is a great board.

I've never had such an effortless time OC'ing a processor.

Being able to increase multipliers and syncronyzing to RAM speed (instead of being stuck to some preset ratio/divider) allows some huge overclocks without having to run the bus to near limit speeds and allowing you to use generic 667 RAM.

I know running 1:1 yields best performance, and many would question buying cheap RAM and expensive board....but its awesome for those on a budget.

I ended up choosing cheaper RAM and OC'd an E6600, rather than exotic memory and an E6300.

Used a 1333bus, with the RAM sync'd at 667, then upped the multiplier until I got the desired clock speed. Running at a "low" 3GHz atm lol.

But hey, you could always buy cheap RAM and an E6300, and then put the money saved toward a better video card.

Best board on the market I believe to have this kind of flexibilty. No problem recommending this to anyone, but especially to newb'clockers.
January 20, 2007 4:01:37 PM

I actually am in no hurry to buy Vista. The only reason would be for access to more memory i.e. for Photoshop. The one thing I don't need is driver problems.

I've used Raptors - the 75 GB models in a Raid 0 configuration for the past three years with the P4 and have been happy.

The PS's I've used are Enermax and Antec. I'm just looking for at least an 850 watt high quality PS. Based on what you said, I'll take a real hard look at what brand I buy - don't want excess heat.
January 20, 2007 4:10:08 PM

Why are you looking for an 850W PSU?

I just built an E6600 (@ 2998) , with an EVGA 680i board, 320GB 7200.10 seagate, DVD-RW, EVGA 8800GTX and Creative X-FI.

The 650W TruePower Trio and Antec P180 case keep the volts constant, at spec, and the CPU cool. The case is extremely quiet.

Unless you are planning 8800SLI, I don't see the need.
January 20, 2007 4:15:08 PM

Quote:
I actually am in no hurry to buy Vista. The only reason would be for access to more memory i.e. for Photoshop. The one thing I don't need is driver problems.

I've used Raptors - the 75 GB models in a Raid 0 configuration for the past three years with the P4 and have been happy.

The PS's I've used are Enermax and Antec. I'm just looking for at least an 850 watt high quality PS. Based on what you said, I'll take a real hard look at what brand I buy - don't want excess heat.

Yeah I strongly recommend the corsair 620 watt one. It's quiet, its modular and has a very very high build quality. I mean the box it came in was a good indicator at the pride they have for their products. Also it comes with a nice corsair branded bag for the cables that you don't need. The cable connectors themselves are very very nice as well. They have these nice clip/rubbersgripers that give you some good traction when pulling out cables as well as locking them in. It also has dual pci e and its only around 150 dollars. So you know check it out. I know I have had antec in the past and this far far exceeds anything ive seen before. I am also using a sonata 2 case from antec that is very nice as well.

As for the nforce 680i board, my goodness it is a treat when you love computers. Overclocking really is made easy and it makes looking at a 700 dollar processor from intel look funny.
January 20, 2007 6:21:08 PM

Ok so I finally hit my ceiling. Here are the final specs. I am not sure but it seems the only problem is in 3dmark 2001, it locks up when it hits the bump mapping test. Also 3dmark 2005 crashes. But 3dmark 03 runs fine and so does 3dmark 2006. So I am not sure if that has something to do with the voltage of the pci e bus at 1.4 volts. When I do normal up the system I can run all tests fine. So it definitely is the over clocking.

Other then that no restarts or other problems relating to common windows tasks. Even cpu intensive programs don't crash the system like super pi, cpu burn in etc.

So final specs are:

Core 3395 mhz
FSB 1940 QDR
memory 881 DDR
spp pci e 3125
core voltage 1.4v
memory 1.2v
fsb 1.4 v
ht 1.45v
pcie 1.4v

Core temp: 115 degrees idle/50 percent load
System 93 degrees f
gpu 126 degrees f at idle

Anybody see anything obvious there that would make the 3d unstable the cpu itself stable? I would assume the pcie voltage or clock rate but im not sure. I guess I could set them at default instead of letting the motherboard auto set those.

Any tips to make it faster? Anything faster and I get a default reset on boot. But at these speeds its stable in windows, but those benchmarks except 03 and 06 crash in some fashion. So hopefully someone has an ideas. As for the gpu I set those to stock speed so I know its not an over clock on the gpu causing it.

Thanks all.
January 22, 2007 4:48:27 PM

Quote:
It is a great board.

I've never had such an effortless time OC'ing a processor.

Being able to increase multipliers and syncronyzing to RAM speed (instead of being stuck to some preset ratio/divider) allows some huge overclocks without having to run the bus to near limit speeds and allowing you to use generic 667 RAM.

I know running 1:1 yields best performance, and many would question buying cheap RAM and expensive board....but its awesome for those on a budget.

I ended up choosing cheaper RAM and OC'd an E6600, rather than exotic memory and an E6300.

Used a 1333bus, with the RAM sync'd at 667, then upped the multiplier until I got the desired clock speed. Running at a "low" 3GHz atm lol.

But hey, you could always buy cheap RAM and an E6300, and then put the money saved toward a better video card.

Best board on the market I believe to have this kind of flexibilty. No problem recommending this to anyone, but especially to newb'clockers.

Excellent post!! I have a 680i board,e6600 and 667 ram and i'm looking to do exactly the same as you just get it to 1:1 1333 all synced up!! What specific settings did you use/steps you took.. Thanks
January 22, 2007 5:58:08 PM

yeah nukka, peeps on d!s h3r f()ru/\/\z ()nly b33nz talking about dis $h!@t for H@LF a year...

lolz nukka
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2007 6:15:09 PM

For the PCIe I would just set it at 110mhz. the voltage seams fine.
I would add a little vCore, as long as the temperature stay low enough.
Possibly a bit more memory voltage anything under 2.2V is fine.

As for the video card, you should be able to get 635-645/950-1000 easily and score 10000 or so in 3D06
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 22, 2007 6:35:03 PM

I have my box built now. I was able to reach 3.6 Ghz, but I had to run the core above 1.5 volts to do it.

I am running at 3.4 Ghz (378 X 9) at 1.45 v. Mem clock is running 1:1 at 758 Mhz - Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 - timing at 3-3-3-7. The agressive memory timing gives me about the same performance as running at 3.6 Ghz at 4-4-4-12 memory timing.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF - probably the best deal out there at $32.

john
January 22, 2007 6:51:40 PM

Whose memory did you use with the 1333 Bus?
January 24, 2007 8:34:02 PM

I was thinking of buying two SLI cards. I just wonder whether they would make Photoshop CS2 and CS3 any faster? If they wouldn't, there would be no need for an 850 PS.
January 24, 2007 11:52:29 PM

CS2 does not use the GPU for acceleration. Currently only Adobe Reader 8, and as a guess, possibly My Digital Editions (currently in beta) will have it as it is flash based.

It (Photoshop) does support dualcore/cpu. How much it helps I don't know.

GPU acceleration is a supposed feature of one of the two versions of CS3 coming out. However, no mention of SLI optimization is mentioned. Some games don't even benefit from SLI, so its not an automatic speed booster.

I'm sure GPU acceleration will become more popular. The performance of the folding@home client I ran on my X1800XT was insane. (it actually ran my card too hot and damaged it. Damn beta....) I would guess ATi would be the early candidate for wide-spread GPU processing, rather than nV.

If the 850Watt is not much more money, buy it. But I wouldn't make it a must have unless you have a 30" Dell/Apple LCD and like gaming :) 
January 25, 2007 2:24:36 AM

Around the time the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ was available, I saw a report at a digital forum website. It compared the P4 to the AMD CPU running certain features in CS2. I don't remember which ones - it might have been different filters. But what I do remember was that the duo core capability of the Athlon made a huge difference in completion time. So I believe that Photoshop CS2 and CS3 will run much faster under the core2duo.

I didn't buy the AMD CPU because I was waiting to see what Intel was releasing. Then I decided to hold off to see what AMD had in the wings. Then I heard about Intel's Quad. But I can't wait much longer as my system is four years old and is slow.

I am not aware of CS3 coming out in two versions as you state. Where did you hear this? Where did you hear that one version will support GPU acceleration? I ask as I find this to be very interesting.
January 25, 2007 2:55:12 AM

It (Photoshop) does support dualcore/cpu. How much it helps I don't know.

Night and day to me. 8O My old 700MHz Athlon and 128MB of RAM are a big factor that I'm comparing with is... well laughable. In any event though, Running Photoshop on my 4200@ stock with several other CPU intensive apps in the background can be rough. Once I crank it up to 2.4 and beyond, I run without so much as a bump.
January 26, 2007 2:20:36 AM

I used to run NT 4.0 with Dual CPUs (PII 333, then dual 450s OC'd to 558) for use with Photoshop. I loved my 4x5 tablet :) 

Then I stopped using PS until I had a 3.2 HT P4 OC'd to 3.8. Now I run a 4400+ OC'd to 2.6.

The reason I say I don't know how much it helped is I never really ran it on a single CPU machine, without at least HT anyway lol.

Just google CS3 and GPU acceleration and you'll find what I was reading sttobin.

I'm sure C2D with its uber SSE would kick @ss in PS. I need to stop building them for other people and buy one for myself.
!