XPSP2 templates missing Define rule

Define Program Exceptions is missing from the Group Policy window. I've
tried using the Group Policy MMC on the W2K server, and on an XP SP1 machine
with the GPMC, but the GPMC hangs when trying to drill down to
Computer>System>Network Connections to get at the right place.

Any ideas?

Perhaps http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842933
applies.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

"Dvord Direwood" <dvord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Define Program Exceptions is missing from the Group Policy window. I've
> tried using the Group Policy MMC on the W2K server, and on an XP SP1
> machine
> with the GPMC, but the GPMC hangs when trying to drill down to
> Computer>System>Network Connections to get at the right place.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, I hadn't gone so far as to read that XP SP1 machines will have
problems with the long strings also.

I called PSS and got the hotfix and applied it. Rebooted too.

Now I don't get the [string] messages, but the Group Policy MMC now crashes
when I attempt to open the folder Computer/Administrative Templates/Network.

"Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@junk.junk> wrote in message
> Perhaps http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842933
> applies.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "Dvord Direwood" <dvord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Define Program Exceptions is missing from the Group Policy window. I've
> > tried using the Group Policy MMC on the W2K server, and on an XP SP1
> > machine
> > with the GPMC, but the GPMC hangs when trying to drill down to
> > Computer>System>Network Connections to get at the right place.
> >
> > Any ideas?

I now installed GPMC on a XP SP2 box, and tried to modify the GP from there.

Things went ok until I opened the GP Edit MMC. I got the error:

"The following error occurred in
\\server\sysvol\domain\policies\{C4DA...\Adm\system.adm line 6537: Error 64
Help String speficied more than once.
The file can not be loaded"

Yet, I could still browse down to Network Connections/Windows Firewall and
see the Detail... setting. I am now able to modify the settings I need to.
The error is strange though, how can I eliminate that?

> Well, I hadn't gone so far as to read that XP SP1 machines will have
> problems with the long strings also.
>
> I called PSS and got the hotfix and applied it. Rebooted too.
>
> Now I don't get the [string] messages, but the Group Policy MMC now
crashes
> when I attempt to open the folder Computer/Administrative
Templates/Network.

> "Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@junk.junk> wrote in message
> > Perhaps http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842933
> > applies.
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Sanderson MVP
> >
> > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
> >

> > "Dvord Direwood" <dvord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Define Program Exceptions is missing from the Group Policy window.
I've
> > > tried using the Group Policy MMC on the W2K server, and on an XP SP1
> > > machine
> > > with the GPMC, but the GPMC hangs when trying to drill down to
> > > Computer>System>Network Connections to get at the right place.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?

I have no idea. You might want to create a new post in this newsgroup
specifically for that error.

--

>I now installed GPMC on a XP SP2 box, and tried to modify the GP from
>there.
>
> Things went ok until I opened the GP Edit MMC. I got the error:
>
> "The following error occurred in
> \\server\sysvol\domain\policies\{C4DA...\Adm\system.adm line 6537: Error
> 64
> Help String speficied more than once.
> The file can not be loaded"
>
> Yet, I could still browse down to Network Connections/Windows Firewall and
> see the Detail... setting. I am now able to modify the settings I need
> to.
> The error is strange though, how can I eliminate that?
>
> "Dvord Direwood" <dvord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well, I hadn't gone so far as to read that XP SP1 machines will have
>> problems with the long strings also.
>>
>> I called PSS and got the hotfix and applied it. Rebooted too.
>>
>> Now I don't get the [string] messages, but the Group Policy MMC now
> crashes
>> when I attempt to open the folder Computer/Administrative
> Templates/Network.
>>

>> "Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@junk.junk> wrote in message
>> > Perhaps http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842933
>> > applies.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Bruce Sanderson MVP
>> >
>> > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>> >

>> > "Dvord Direwood" <dvord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've

Hmm - strange.

Is the gpmc failure when running gpmc on the XP SP1 computer or when running
it on the Windows 2000 computer?

Do you have GPMC with SP1 -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a6d4c24-8cbd-4b35-9272-dd3cbfc81887&DisplayLang=en
on those computers?

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

"Dvord Direwood" <dvord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, I hadn't gone so far as to read that XP SP1 machines will have
> problems with the long strings also.
>
> I called PSS and got the hotfix and applied it. Rebooted too.
>
> Now I don't get the [string] messages, but the Group Policy MMC now
> crashes
> when I attempt to open the folder Computer/Administrative
> Templates/Network.
>

> "Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@junk.junk> wrote in message
>> Perhaps http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842933
>> applies.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Sanderson MVP
>>
>> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>>

>> "Dvord Direwood" <dvord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Define Program Exceptions is missing from the Group Policy window.
>> > I've
>> > tried using the Group Policy MMC on the W2K server, and on an XP SP1
>> > machine
>> > with the GPMC, but the GPMC hangs when trying to drill down to
>> > Computer>System>Network Connections to get at the right place.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

What I would do is compare the size, and date/timestamp of the contents of
that ADM folder on your PDC emulator DC with the same files found in
c:\windows\inf on the SP2 client where you're editing the GPO. It sounds
like the copy of the ADM stored in SYSVOL with the GPO is corrupted. If just
system.adm is different, then copy that system.adm file from c:\windows\adm
to the sysvol folder shown below on your PDC emulator DC.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management