X50v Questions

April 15, 2005 3:06:16 PM

Hello,

I am looking at a Dell X50v Pocket PC and and was wondering if anyone
had any thoughts on the build quality of the device? Thank you in
advance.

- dwok

More about : x50v questions

April 15, 2005 6:33:12 PM

Just got mine; it's as well built as the Palm Zire 71 it is replacing.
I got mine refurb'd at the Dell Outlet.

The only little niggles are the thin battery door - it could have been
a couple of mils thicker without adding to the weight - and the small
buttons; also the "home" button is a bit out of place.

But, it's no worse than any of the others I've had. Feels solid in your
hand, and the finish fells durable.

ECM
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:26:16 PM

Thank you all very much! It sounds like all around people feel it is
pretty well put together. Thanks again.

- dwok
April 15, 2005 7:31:23 PM

Hello,

I don't own one but have heard both in this group and others in my
organization that do they have are pleased with the unit. Only complaint
I've heard is the typical "the battery life isn't long enough" at 4 odd
hours with full bright screen and MP3s playing! :-D

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"dwok" <derek@wubbafish.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am looking at a Dell X50v Pocket PC and and was wondering if anyone
> had any thoughts on the build quality of the device? Thank you in
> advance.
>
> - dwok

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:25:08 PM

Solid build, pleasant design, very able processor...only slight concern is
battery life...I purchased a spare 1100ma battery...the charging base can
charge the unit and a second battier at the same time.

Scale of 1 to 10...9.5!

I've owned iPAQs before, and the x50v seems to be better engineered than any
that I have owned.

Bobby

"dwok" <derek@wubbafish.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am looking at a Dell X50v Pocket PC and and was wondering if anyone
> had any thoughts on the build quality of the device? Thank you in
> advance.
>
> - dwok

April 16, 2005 1:21:46 AM

dwok wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking at a Dell X50v Pocket PC and and was wondering if anyone
> had any thoughts on the build quality of the device? Thank you in
> advance.
>
> - dwok

Mine seems perfectly fine. Was there anything in particular you were
concerned about?

I've had a few PDAs in the past. The original (Black) palms were very
plasticy. I then had a Sony Clie, which was better.

My most recent, before the X50v, was an iPAQ 2210 and I would say it was
pretty much as good as the X50v for "Feel" and quality of construction.

HTH

Martin
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:27:58 PM

HI--got mine last month for my b-day. Still learning but
I love it!
If I had any complaint--it would be the placement of the
buttons on the side--but really, not a big deal.

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:33:48 PM

I agree about the buttons on the side, but they can be disabled. I disabled
them, and installed Battery Pack Pro and assigned their functions to icons
on the desktop. Now I don't have to worry about accidentally rotating the
screen. The A02 ROM available on the Dell website also makes the wi-fi
button behave differently...on being pressed, a dialog appears on the screen
telling you to press the button again within 5 seconds to enable
wireless...makes it harder to turn the wireless on by mistake.

Bobby

> HI--got mine last month for my b-day. Still learning but
> I love it!
> If I had any complaint--it would be the placement of the
> buttons on the side--but really, not a big deal.

April 19, 2005 5:17:54 AM

Imho, it's a cadillac in a kia body. Drives like a dream with all the latest
bells and whistles but looks cheap. The connector in the cradle failed after
5 months but was replaced by Dell the day after I called customer service.
If I could just place the guts of the x50v in my old toshiba e750 case I'd
have my dream pda.
Hth,
Dean
April 21, 2005 9:49:48 AM

They just released the ROM update to A03, and fixes all of the problems with
wireless card when you turn it on and off, then it doesnt recognize it, and
the bluetooth license expired. With that update, it works awesome. I use
mine with the Pharos GPS, it plugs into a the bottom of the X50v and works
flawlessly. I love it!

!