GPO for Internet Lockdown

The specific problem I am having is that the GPO always wants to import my
current settings when I am trying to modify a locked down version of IE. Is
there a way to manipulate the IE GPO without said import?

I think you have to import current settings when you want to enforce them but
you can modify them to your needs after you import them. I noticed that XP SP2
allows you to define settings for each zone without importing. --- Steve