Weird connectivity problem

Dilandau

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Hi.

I have a wireless network consisting of a router (Netgear WGT624 v3), and two laptops - one equipped with a Netgear WG511T (pccard) and the other with a Jensen Air:Link 7554 LongRange (usb-stick).

Connecting with the Netgear-laptop works great. But when I connect with the Jensen-laptop something weird happens: Everything works, except using a web-browser. Skype, MSN, GoogleTalk all works, and can even transmit/recieve files. But Firefox and Explorer behaves as if there is no internet connection at all.

The Jensen software says the connection is "excellent".

I've tried running the network with all kinds of encryption, and even with no encryption at all. Same results.

Both computers are running on Windows XP pro.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the Jensen-stick incompatible with the netgear router?

Thanks in advance!

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Hmm.

Try opening a command prompt and try to ping 4.2.2.2. (Start > Run > type cmd > ping 4.2.2.2)

If that works then try and ping google. (ping www.google.com).

If that works type "ipconfig /flushdns" and see if it clears the problem.

Also turn off any firewalls just to be safe. And out of curiosity do you use and VPN client software for work or something? This can affect connections too.

Hope all goes well.

Dilandau

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Thanks for the tips -- but they didn't work. :-(

Pinging 4.2.2.2 and google works. But even after flushdns the same problem remains. Only, now the webrowser works sometimes, but most usually not. Mostly I can surf the web for a couple of minutes after reboot before I start getting 404:s. MSN etc. are still online.

I don't use a VPN client.

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Hmm,

What does your network setup look like? Are you connected through a router or are you connected directly to your broadband modem? To me it sounds like an mtu problem or a segment size problem.

Thank you

Dilandau

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I connect both computers to a router, wich is plugged directly into the wall. No modem -- the broadband comes with the appartmen. :)

Both computer works when plugged directly into the wall-stocket, but only the Netgear-laptop works when conected with a wire to the router. The other one has the same problem wired and wireless.

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
If you access the configuration options on your router can you look and see if there is an option to change MTU size (which may be set to 1500 by default) or a Maximum Segment Size (MSS) (which may also be set to 1500 by default).

If you can find either of those (Preferably MTU) set it to around 1460.

Dilandau

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Well, now it works. I think changing MTU to 1468 helped. But it wasn't enough. I unchecked the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" box in the computer's TCP/IP-settings -- I don't know why -- and suddently everything worked.

Dilandau

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Well, it seems that I was a bit premature in my jubilation. The problem is back in all it's glory. Sometimes webbrowsing works, bot mostly it does not.

I have no idea what to do. :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS