Sign in with
Your question

Record tv shows on my pc

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2007 6:06:43 PM

Hi! I have a pc w/ a 300 and 80 gig HD. I have plenty of pci slots available. How can I record tv shows on my pc and watch them later? Can I record on the pc and watch them on tv? Is there software that lets you program when to record? Thanks!

More about : record shows

January 20, 2007 1:50:34 AM

well thats an option. There was a guy with the same question and I answered that, get the tuner card

but then some new guy came and said, with new cards, VIVO should be enough, connect the tv to the videocard and just get the software. Well I dont really know how that works but thats what he said. I would still use the tuner, I think is better.
January 20, 2007 1:59:24 AM

yeah get a tv tuner card. I believe you need two tuner cards to record more than one channel at the same time. One channel per tuner card to record. {FYI}

Playing back to the tv may be a bit tricky depending on what kind of tv you are sending the signal to, how it's connected and how good the resolution is of the program that is recorded.

If the tv tuner card only allows 320x240 Resolution capture, then playing back full screen on a tv won't be a very good picture. You may have to pay quite a bit more for higher resolution capture and you may not find any of these solutions in a traditional store. ATI all in wonder might have a tv capture that is worthy of hooking to a tv, but you'll need to do some leg work to find out. Just realize not all are created equal.
Related resources
January 20, 2007 12:10:36 PM

intresting, thx for the advice :D 
January 20, 2007 3:10:17 PM

Quote:
well thats an option. There was a guy with the same question and I answered that, get the tuner card

but then some new guy came and said, with new cards, VIVO should be enough, connect the tv to the videocard and just get the software. Well I dont really know how that works but thats what he said. I would still use the tuner, I think is better.

Hey Slim, that was me. That dude was just needing to capture video off of old VHS tapes, in which case you only need capture capabilties, which a VIVO card provides (video in, video out). For capturing and playing TV programs, you need a TV tuner. If you want to have PIP, or record one program and watch another, you need a card with dual tuners such as the Hauppauge 500, ATI Theater 550 or 650, or my personal preference, the Saber2020. The Saber and the 650 use the PCI-e slot, so it has a dedicated channel when it comes to system resources. They, too, have external source capture capabilities.

The Hauppauge 500 changed tuner chips a while back, and users, esp. Hauppauge fanboys are not happy with the result. The 650 had a hardware glitch and the company pulled them back in Sept. Not sure if they've been re-released, so if you find one, esp at a good price, I'd be careful. You can review the Saber here: http://www.vistaview.tv/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

and I bought my here: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4134106

These cards come with their own software, but have some reliance that the installation will be into Windows MCE. If you're not running MCE, then there are several stand-alone programs, some of which are free, such as MythTV, BeyondTV, and SageTV.
Good Luck.
January 20, 2007 3:48:50 PM

Quote:
These cards come with their own software, but have some reliance that the installation will be into Windows MCE. If you're not running MCE, then there are several stand-alone programs, some of which are free, such as MythTV, BeyondTV, and SageTV.
Good Luck.

I've been using an ATI TV Wonder Elite for about a year and a half with standard cable tv. It works better than my secondary Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2. I really disliked the software that came with either one, and after looking at 4 or 5 others, settled on BeyondTV 4.

BeyondTV and SageTV are not free, but they both have a long enough trial period that you can get a very good feel for them. I wasn't aware that MythTV had a Windows version, but it's one of the few options for the Linux platform, and is free.
January 20, 2007 4:00:04 PM

Whenever I need help with this tuner cards, Ill com here and ask :D  you guys know alot about this :p 
January 20, 2007 4:24:42 PM

Another FREE software option for Windows is GBPVR.
http://www.gbpvr.com/

I have been using this software for 3/4 year now and it has been working great.
January 20, 2007 4:31:59 PM

You also might want to consider how you are going to use the PVR software.

Are you going to record TV Shows and then delete them as soon as you watch them, or are you going to keep them around to watch later?

If you decide to keep them around, you might need to get more hard drive space, as 300GB will fill up pretty quickly. Most TV Tuners record directly to MPEG2 (which is approx 2GB / hour). Some software programs (i.e. GBPVR) can automatically compress these files to DivX for you (approx 500MB / hour).

You will also want to decide if you want to automatically skip commercials. If so you must choose software accordingly (although all the software programs listed above should support stripping of commercials).
January 20, 2007 5:23:55 PM

You can also use a program called DVRMS Toolbox to automatically edit out commercials, as they are being recorded, from this site:

http://babgvant.com/default.aspx
!