45c with arctic cooler freezer pro?

KingWaddleDee

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I got arcitc cooler freezer pro 7 for my core2duo E6300 not overclocked, and it's lingering at 40-45c on 100%. I KNOW there is something wrong here. It's not how it's seated, it's seated fine, but I think it's because instead of using arctic silver 5, we just used the thermal pad that was already on it.

So anyway my main question is:

How much of a difference in temps will it make if I take the old thermal pad off and put on the arctic silver 5?

And also, when taking the thermal pad off of the heatsink, do you use isoperyl alchohol for it as well? With a q-tip just like you do with the CPU? Thanks.

melf26

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
The grease that comes on the Freezer 7 worked better in some test I read than AS5. If it's really on there right, you might just have a concave processor.

KingWaddleDee

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I think I figured out why it's that high. the only other fans other than that in there are exhaust, I have nothing blowing in, I need some air blowing in, because the CPU cooler is basically drawing in like no air. I'll add a 94mm intake fan in the front tomorrow, thanks guys!

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
I got arcitc cooler freezer pro 7 for my core2duo E6300 not overclocked, and it's lingering at 40-45c on 100%.

It has to be a silly question, but why care? You do realize there is no realistic benefit at all to getting it cooler, yes?

Even if you intend to o'c, you'd have to know what that o'c max is before deciding something more needs to be done re:cooling.

I KNOW there is something wrong here. It's not how it's seated, it's seated fine, but I think it's because instead of using arctic silver 5, we just used the thermal pad that was already on it.

So anyway my main question is:

How much of a difference in temps will it make if I take the old thermal pad off and put on the arctic silver 5?

And also, when taking the thermal pad off of the heatsink, do you use isoperyl alchohol for it as well? With a q-tip just like you do with the CPU? Thanks.

There's nothing wrong, your temp is acceptible and lowest temp is not a contest that awards any prize, so why care?

If you put AS5 on, you may see no difference immediately but as it cures over a few days and thermal cycles, maybe 3C difference.

What do you mean "with a Q-tip"? There is no particular task where a Q-Tip is called for, I mean it's not only unnecessary but if it were to leave behind any fibers, they'd be larger than using something like a common paper towel.

It is best to try a mild(er) solvent first so yes, try alcohol and if that won't cut through it, next try something with petroleum solvents in it like "Goo Gone", WD-40, gasoline, etc. If what you use only has the petroleum solvent as a carrier for more ingredients (like with WD-40) then you'd need a 2nd pass with another cleaner to get off the other ingredient if you're REALLY picky, but the most practical advise would be - If it looks clean to the naked eye, it's clean enough.

Frankly I wouldn't touch it, the temp is fine. For all we know any further reduction might need changes in case cooling instead of CPU interface anyway, but insufficient (no) detail of that was provided.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
My e6600 on watercooling is around 42C on load at stock, so your temps are nice.

Stay below 65C on load, and you are golden.

So no worries, and quite a bit of OC headroom.

Featherstone

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Getting AS5 may help by a degree or it may not help at all. the paste on the AF7P is great stuff and 45C under load is fine. If you're going to OC then you may want to make sure its seated right, you have good ventilation in your case, and maybe reapply some thermal paste. But if you're not going to OC your temps are perfectly fine.

Mondoman

Splendid
I got arcitc cooler freezer pro 7 for my core2duo E6300 not overclocked, and it's lingering at 40-45c on 100%.
Do you mean 100% Freezer 7 Pro fan speed, or 100% CPU use?

It's not how it's seated, it's seated fine,
How do you know this? Have you looked underneath to verify that all 4 pins are all the way through the MB? This mounting system is notoriously easy to not-quite-fully seat the hsf.

...but I think it's because instead of using arctic silver 5, we just used the thermal pad that was already on it.
Nope, the MX1 that comes on the cooler is good stuff, too.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
if its 100% cpu use and ur at 45 degrees, i dont see what ur complaining about :p

i get 45 when i boot my damn pc :p :p (my case's internal air flow is....hopeless..for a lack of a better word)

SP73

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
basically just restating what's been said already...

But yeah, the difference between the freezer 7's MX-1 and siver 5 is negligible.

and an intake fan (most likely) wouldn't be as beneficial as an exhaust, because the case will take in cool outside air on its own, notice how your computer has air to blow out?

edit: question, is the freezer 7's fan blowing towards an exhaust?

KingWaddleDee

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
no it is not blowing towards an exhaust, I have the back towards an exhaust to take the hot air from the back out of the case. And I meant 100% fan speed not CPU speed. The CPU is on IDLE at 40-45c and 55-57c full load

Mondoman

Splendid
no it is not blowing towards an exhaust, I have the back towards an exhaust to take the hot air from the back out of the case.
This is confusing. The side of the cooler that the air blows out of (opposite the fan side) is the back. You seem to be saying both it is NOT blowing toward an exhaust and that it IS blowing toward an exhaust.

And I meant 100% fan speed not CPU speed. The CPU is on IDLE at 40-45c and 55-57c full load
Yes, this is too hot. Back to my question above: how do you *know* the cooler is properly mounted? Have you looked underneath to verify that all 4 pins are all the way through the MB? This mounting system is notoriously easy to not-quite-fully seat the hsf.

KingWaddleDee

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
no it is not blowing towards an exhaust, I have the back towards an exhaust to take the hot air from the back out of the case.
This is confusing. The side of the cooler that the air blows out of (opposite the fan side) is the back. You seem to be saying both it is NOT blowing toward an exhaust and that it IS blowing toward an exhaust.

And I meant 100% fan speed not CPU speed. The CPU is on IDLE at 40-45c and 55-57c full load
Yes, this is too hot. Back to my question above: how do you *know* the cooler is properly mounted? Have you looked underneath to verify that all 4 pins are all the way through the MB? This mounting system is notoriously easy to not-quite-fully seat the hsf.

how do you check behind the motherboard without taking everything out? You can't remove the back case without unscrewing the motherboard.

And does having the fan on 100% all the time reduce the lifespan of it? How long can I expect it to last?

SP73

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
yeah you would take you your motherboard to check.

and I'm also confused by what you meant, but the fan on the heatsink should be blowing air towards an exhaust.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
The fan on the HSF is sucking air in, therefore the opposite side is blowing air out. Position the fan so the air flows out the rear.

Mondoman

Splendid
how do you check behind the motherboard without taking everything out? You can't remove the back case without unscrewing the motherboard.
It depends on the case design, but you're right, usually you need to install the hsf with the MB removed from the case.

And does having the fan on 100% all the time reduce the lifespan of it? How long can I expect it to last?
No, it's designed to run at full speed for years. Even the cheapest should be rated at more than 10,000 hours MTBF.