Sign in with
Your question

Ultimate NAS/media server & media player

Last response: in Networking
August 11, 2006 2:49:57 PM

Please, I need help in choosing a top notch, fast NAS/media server that can stream my iTunes, photos and movies to a top notch wireless media player. I guess I could use an aiport express so wireless is not entirely mandatory.

So if anyone can help with the best NAS/medai server as well as a media player for a windows xp based network where there is NOT a computer running fulltime I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Cc
August 11, 2006 6:25:47 PM

Thanks Fred. With regard to the NAS, I have read that the Buffalo LinkStations do not support NTFS format and that is critical for windows XP networks. Does the NAS have to support NTFS in order to comply with my XP Pro based network? I wanted to load some applications onto the NAS that are not frequently used however would like to have access to them when at home.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks again
Cc
Related resources
August 11, 2006 7:19:39 PM

The filesystem on the NAS has absolutely no bearing on it's compatability with a particular operating system. The only circumstance this would not be true in is if the NAS had a USB connection that allowed you to hook it up to a PC like a USB drive. The rule of thumb is if it is a network device, the filesystem does not matter. If it connects via USB, firewire, or any other non-network type connection then the filesystem the device uses must be supported by the host operating system.
May 7, 2009 1:54:03 PM

fredweston said:
Have a look here:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=318

Any old NAS should work if you use your own wireless access point. In fact, it's probably better that way so you're not locked in to a certain wireless brand/model.

Hi Fred,

I saw your post regarding the dLink NAS products. My LaCie NAS is dying (grumble grumble grumble) and I'm wondering if you have any experience accessing the dLink NAS from a Sony PS3 on the same network?

Thanks
tim
tim@meehle.com
February 5, 2010 4:12:19 AM

timmeehle said:
Hi Fred,

I saw your post regarding the dLink NAS products. My LaCie NAS is dying (grumble grumble grumble) and I'm wondering if you have any experience accessing the dLink NAS from a Sony PS3 on the same network?

Thanks
tim
tim@meehle.com

Hi Tim,

I have a PS3 and though I can't read my D-LINK 321 NAS directly from it I did find a Java PS3 Media server that works great from my PC with all the media on the NAS, both of which are on all the time anyway.

The link is:
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/.

Also the D-LINK acts as an iTunes server... Never tried it though.

Hope this helps...

Doch
!