Reformat and install XP

How do I reformat & re-install XP? I can't seem to get past the sys
configuration files at the beginning, after experiencing some problems. I
don't mind losing existing data, it's all backed up.
16 answers Last reply
More about reformat install

    In news:AfLOd.229795$Np3.9531391@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:

    > How do I reformat & re-install XP? I can't seem to get past the
    > sys
    > configuration files at the beginning, after experiencing some
    > problems. I don't mind losing existing data, it's all backed
    > up.

    You can't format the Windows drive from within Windows, since
    that would leave Windows without a leg to stand on.

    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create a new one).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    However why do you want to reformat and reinstall? In my view,
    it's almost always a mistake. With a modicum of care, it should
    never be necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or any other
    version). I've run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95,
    Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of
    time before the next version came out, and each on two machines
    here. I never reinstalled any of them, and I have never had
    anything more than an occasional minor problem.

    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
    can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    > support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    > almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    > "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    > It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    > doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    > most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    <SNIP>

    had a friend that worked at gateway tech support a couple of years ago.

    he told me that at that time, there was a 10 minute rule....if you can't
    get the customer back up and running in 10 minutes, tell them the only
    thing to do then is a restore.

    it's pretty sad, since while it might take more than 10 minutes, with 5 of
    those spent re-booting multiple times, i've found it usually takes under 30
    minutes to get someone back up.

    In news:Xns95F9B794947BCidispcom@216.196.97.142,
    DanS <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> typed:

    >> It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the
    >> technical
    >> support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    >> almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    >> "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for
    >> them.
    >> It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and
    >> it
    >> doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill
    >> that
    >> most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).
    >>

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > had a friend that worked at gateway tech support a couple of
    > years
    > ago.
    >
    > he told me that at that time, there was a 10 minute rule....if
    > you
    > can't get the customer back up and running in 10 minutes, tell
    > them
    > the only thing to do then is a restore.

    Thanks. I'd never heard of the "ten-minute rule" before, but it
    doesn't surprise me that they have one.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken -
    QUOTE from yr reply -
    >It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical support
    >people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to almost any problem
    >they don't quickly know the answer to is "reformat and reinstall." That's
    >the perfect solution for them. It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost
    >always works...etc. UNQUOTE

    Totally agree! Had XP(OEM) system 3 years now. Within a week had a prob with
    CDRW, OEM helpdesk advice was "re-install XP from recovery disk". Was a real
    novice then, so did that, prob solved. Since which, have lost my OEM disk,
    but XP still works despite the many changes made since.
    Bog-standard routines and protection (AV, Firewall, Spybot, disk hygiene,
    defrag and automatic updates) has kept my system virtually trouble-free. And
    I'm a Silver Surfer, no expert, but still with enough savvy to learn (you
    CAN teach an old dog new tricks).
    Reading these NG postings should be compulsory. Funny how most posters blame
    XP when it's actually user error, often of the most basic kind!

    Happy wrote:

    >How do I reformat & re-install XP? I can't seem to get past the sys
    >configuration files at the beginning, after experiencing some problems. I
    >don't mind losing existing data, it's all backed up.

    You do it as part of a reinstall of the system after booting the XP CD
    direct. Enter Setup, and after the license agreement take New Install.
    When it asks you to confirm where, hit ESC; select and delete the
    current partition and make a new RAW one to be formatted at the next
    stage

    The important point is the delete. Without that it will just go ahead
    and make a new install over the top of the old one

    Won't boot from CD, and the message I get is "load needed DLLs for kernel"

    In news:%u6Pd.230495$Np3.9558093@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:

    > Won't boot from CD,

    Have you set the BIOS boot order for the CD drive to be first?

> [...]

    >> application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation
    >> codes? Do
    >> you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    >> customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    >> everything
    >> work the way you like? Occasionally there are problems that
    >> are so difficult to solve that
    >> Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    >> far
    >> between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    >> troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    >> after
    >> all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    >> have
    >> failed. If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that
    >> someone can
    >> help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Yes, I did. It says "cannot boot from Cd, error 5,' or something to that
    effect.
> [...]
    >>> may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    >>> application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes? Do
    >>> you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    >>> customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make everything
    >>> work the way you like? Occasionally there are problems that are so
    >>> difficult to solve that
    >>> Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and far
    >>> between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    >>> troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only after
    >>> all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person have
    >>> failed. If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
    >>> can
    >>> help you and a reinstallation won't be required.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User

    Are you using a Microsoft Cd or a copy?

    In news:RnePd.333$oh4.8690@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:

    > Yes, I did. It says "cannot boot from Cd, error 5,' or
    > something to
    > that effect.

    That sounds like there's something wrong with the CD you're
    trying to boot from. Have you tried other bootable CDs?

    Happy wrote:
    > How do I reformat & re-install XP? I can't seem to get past the sys
    > configuration files at the beginning, after experiencing some problems. I
    > don't mind losing existing data, it's all backed up.

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    It would appear to be a copy, but the person I got it from (the computer)
    said it was his back up copy of XP.
    > Are you using a Microsoft Cd or a copy?

    > "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    >> Yes, I did. It says "cannot boot from Cd, error 5,' or something to that
    >> effect.
    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    >>> In news:%u6Pd.230495$Np3.9558093@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    >>> Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:

    >>> Have you set the BIOS boot order for the CD drive to be first?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>>

    >>> and the message I get is "load needed DLLs for

    I don't think I have other boot Cd's

    In news:pANPd.1345$oh4.51262@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:

    > I don't think I have other boot Cd's

    If I were you, I'd try to borrow one from a friend. That will let
    you find out if the problem is with the CD or the drive.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:RnePd.333$oh4.8690@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    >> Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:
    >>
    >>> Yes, I did. It says "cannot boot from Cd, error 5,' or
    >>> something to
    >>> that effect.
    >>
    >> That sounds like there's something wrong with the CD you're
    >> trying
    >> to boot from. Have you tried other bootable CDs?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    >>> message

    ok, i'll give it a try. --thanks
    > In news:pANPd.1345$oh4.51262@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    > Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:
    >
    >> I don't think I have other boot Cd's
    >

    > If I were you, I'd try to borrow one from a friend. That will let you find
    > out if the problem is with the CD or the drive.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    >>> In news:RnePd.333$oh4.8690@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    >>> Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:

    >>> That sounds like there's something wrong with the CD you're trying
    >>> to boot from. Have you tried other bootable CDs?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the newsgroup

    I borrowed a couple of boot cd's, tried them, same problem
    > ok, i'll give it a try. --thanks
    >> In news:pANPd.1345$oh4.51262@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    >> Happy <happy@trial.ca> typed:
    >>
    >>> I don't think I have other boot Cd's
    >>

    >> If I were you, I'd try to borrow one from a friend. That will let you
    >> find out if the problem is with the CD or the drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP