Need Help !! How should I upgrade ?

Toad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
Ladies and Gents,

Thanks for reading my post. First of all I am a Non-Gamer. My primary OS is Linux (Currently OpenSuSe 10.2). My machine is a cross between a desktop machine and a home server. I also program from time to time (C,C++).
Here is the problem. :roll:
I want to upgrade my system but I am having a hard time choosing between an AMD build and an Intel Build. With AMD I would get less performance but cheaper than an Intel Build.
I am a big fan of Stable but feature rich motherboards and it seems that the AM2 MOBO are generally cheaper and more feature rich than the comparable Intel Boards.
I need help in deciding what Motherboard and CPU, Memory I should get.

My current system is (OLD) S754 AMD 3000+ (Not OC), MSI K8N Neo Platinum, 512 MB x 2 Kingston Value Ram, Gainward FX5200 , NEC DVD Burner, MSI DVD Burner, Lian Li PC-777,Enermax Liberty 500W.

For an AMD Build I was thinking about -
MOBO - Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe ( Love the heatsink design and features, SLI useless for me)
CPU - AMD X2 4200+ EE
Memory - G.E.I.L. DIMM 1 GB DDR2-800 Kit (GX21GB6400UDC)
COST - 400 Euros or $480 USD

Intel Build -
CPU - E6300 -- 176 Euros / 200 USD
MOBO - ? ( No Idea)
Memory - G.E.I.L. DIMM 1 GB DDR2-800 Kit (GX21GB6400UDC) - 120 Euros / 144 USD

Any Suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated. I have been researching this for the past 3 weeks. Really need some closure on this.

PS. I live in Germany hence the prices in Euros.

Thanks again for your help.
- Toad

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
What will be using the machine for? Check out the CPU chart on tomshardware focusing on applications that will do what you'll be doing. Right know the Intel Core Duo pretty much out perform AMD and Intel mobo aren't that much more expensive. After you check out the CPU chart and if you're still not sure of Intel or AMD I'd go to newegg.com and price out a couple of systems saving each one to a Wish List

akhilles

Splendid
In his 1st paragraph, he said he's a non-gaming linux programmer.

I know Linux. You don't want bleeding edges = no driver/module support = waste of money. You want something mature.

For AM2, I'd stay AWAY from that M2N32SLI which took me a month to iron out all issues & made it stable.

These days people only see C2D, as if all other Intel chips have disappeared. The best x2 chip was Pentium-D 805 cuz it overclocks crazy. & it's cheap now. PD805 is a good placeholder cpu until you can afford C2D which will have price drops in a few months.

For 775, I'd suggest any brand name P965/975 chipset boards such as ASUS P5B-E or Deluxe, etc. They're rock stable.

For example,

Pentium-D 805
ASUS P5B-E

You're all set.

Toad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
Thanks for your replies.

My Intel Build now looks like this

MOBO - MSI 965 Platinum (Got good Reviews) 134 Euros (160 USD)
CPU - Pentium D 805 - 90 Euros (108 USD)
TOTAL - 224 Euros (268 USD)

Modified AMD Build
MOBO - Foxconn C51XEM2AA (Goot good reviews) 140 Euros (168 USD)
CPU - AMD X2 4200+ EE 124 Euros (146 USD)
TOTAL - 264 Euros (312 USD)

Memory - G.E.I.L. DIMM 1 GB DDR2-800 Kit (GX21GB6400UDC) - 120 Euros / 144 USD

Please let me know what you think. I major concern now is with the
imminent release of AM2+ and AM3 Sockets.

Is it worth it now to buy AM2 knowing that in some months it will be replaced. It appears that investing in an Intel 965 MOBO maybe the better solution if Intel is not planning on changing the Core 2 Socket anytime soon.

Keep your thoughts and opinions coming, it is well appreciated.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Definitely get a mobo that supports Pentium D's as well as Core 2 Duo's

Far as CPU goes. Retail Pentium D's:

D820 for $99

D805 for $95

The OEM D805 lacks a fan which is another $30 for a good fan.

Pentium D Pricing

Personally, I've been thinking about getting a D820 to replace my 630 P4.

akhilles

Splendid
MOBO - MSI 965 Platinum (Got good Reviews) 134 Euros (160 USD)
CPU - Pentium D 805 - 90 Euros (108 USD)

Easily. Yep, get a retail cpu that comes with a hsf (fan) & longer warranty. The 965 supports quad core cpu's. So you'll just update the bios if needed. See msi product site for more.

IMO, AM2 is a transition to AM3. It seems to me that AMD rushed it out. I'd rather they focus on K8L instead.

Apple_Fritters

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I hate to even bring this up, especially since I know very little about Linux. But, I've been lead to believe that Linux users prefer AMD's 64bit instructions for running linux. I don't know any more than that, but I'm sure you have friends that program.

Otherwise, the Core2Duo is the best overall choice.

(please, do not flame me for passing along information)

Toad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
If I am not mistaken, the Intel Core 2 are also 64 bit Processors.
Please correct if I am wrong.

On another note, I was just reading TOMs CPU Charts and surprisingly the Stock AMD X2 3800+ seems to be better than a Stock Pentium D 805.
Normally I have always bought AMD Processors for Desktop because they had presented a more value for the buck. Strangely though, all my servers have always been Intel CPUs.

I got stung when I upgraded from Socket A to Socket 754. Within months AMD had introduced Socket 939 and the shortly after PCI Express became main stream. This totally destroyed any future upgrade possibilities for the future, Hence I took so long to upgrade my system.
And now the choice isn't easier. I have just configured 2 systems one AM2 and the other Intel 965 Core 2 and I would save over 150 Euros (180USD) going with AM2.
And for my needs (Programming,Surfing, Website development, Occasional Web/FTP hosting, NO Video encoding, No Gaming) I am really thinking if I will notice the difference in everyday use between AMD X2 4200+ EE and Intel Core 2 Duo E6300.
I mean lets face it, when opening a Word processor eg OpenOffice - what would be the difference in times between the two, 30 seconds maybe.

Decisions, Decisions.

Apple_Fritters

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
AMD had been doing very well against Intel until this last summer. Core2Duo has surpassed the Athlon64 in design. For now, I'd feel better suggesting an E6000 series CPU. If the prices come down, an E4300 is also an acceptable value processor. If you're not a power user, then shop on price; but never buy a Pentium 4/D.