Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Qnap\'s TS-101 Aims High, But Falls Short

Last response: in Toms Network
Share
August 11, 2006 6:47:21 PM

Qnap has aimed its TS-101 \"9-in-1\" NAS squarely at Synology\'s DS-106e. But Jim Buzbee finds that Qnap still has some work to do if it wants to claim top honors.
August 14, 2006 4:28:10 PM

Just curious that how can you put the Custom PHP shell up and running on
ts-101 box. You have to somehow link the script to the web page right?
Can you explain it in detail?


thanks,

liuczh
August 14, 2006 4:28:43 PM

Just curious that how can you put the Custom PHP shell up and running on
ts-101 box. You have to somehow link the script to the web server right?
Can you explain it in detail?


thanks,

liuczh
Related resources
August 14, 2006 7:01:05 PM

Tim,
Do you find any big flash on the board, same question for synology DS-106e.
You mentioned in the DS-106e review that there are 3 partitions on the disk, including the system partition. Which means that the hard drive is formated by the system when it is installed for the first time. Which also means that without the hard drive, the system should be boot up from some flash memory. Otherwise there is no way to partition and format the newly installed hard drive.
Second question:
Is the file system running in the Ramdisk( internal memory) or they are running on the hard drive? It looks that the file system is on the hard drive but I want to confirm.

The reason I ask is: I have a freeNAS at home. I have to install the system on a hard driver manually from a CD-ROM. And the root file system is running in the ramdisk for freeNAS, so that any direct change to the configuration files such as /etc/passed, /usr/local/www will disappear when you power off. Unless you can pack the change to the mfsroot image.

Just want to see the difference, thanks...
August 14, 2006 8:07:08 PM

Quote:
Just curious that how can you put the Custom PHP shell up and running on
ts-101 box. You have to somehow link the script to the web server right?
Can you explain it in detail?


thanks,

liuczh


liuczh - The ts-101 is designed to support user web pages with PHP. So it was just a matter of networking mounting the web share and putting my script in the directory.
August 14, 2006 8:12:29 PM

Quote:
Tim,
Do you find any big flash on the board, same question for synology DS-106e.
You mentioned in the DS-106e review that there are 3 partitions on the disk, including the system partition. Which means that the hard drive is formated by the system when it is installed for the first time. Which also means that without the hard drive, the system should be boot up from some flash memory. Otherwise there is no way to partition and format the newly installed hard drive.

Yes - the system will boot with a blank drive and then format it.

Quote:

Second question:
Is the file system running in the Ramdisk( internal memory) or they are running on the hard drive? It looks that the file system is on the hard drive but I want to confirm.


It think it is split between the two. The OS and initial filesystem are in flash, then copied to RAM during boot. User configuration and changes are located on the hard drive after the system is initialized. In casually looking around, I found no executable code or scripts on the hard drive.

Quote:

The reason I ask is: I have a freeNAS at home. I have to install the system on a hard driver manually from a CD-ROM. And the root file system is running in the ramdisk for freeNAS, so that any direct change to the configuration files such as /etc/passed, /usr/local/www will disappear when you power off. Unless you can pack the change to the mfsroot image.

Just want to see the difference, thanks...



I think that the only thing on the hard drive are things like the password file, samba configutation file, timezone settings, etc.

Jim
August 15, 2006 3:14:47 AM

Jim,
I guess it like KNOPPIX live CD. Keep those read only files into a file image
and keep the config files on hard drive and link them into a single root file system. This is a little different with FreeNAS.

thanks again!
August 15, 2006 6:28:47 PM

Quote:
The final interesting feature I'll touch on is what Qnap bills as "Q-Raid". This feature allows an external USB or eSATA drive to be used in a RAID 0 (mirroring) mode. This gives you extra data protection in case of disk failure.


LOL!
August 16, 2006 5:51:51 PM

Quote:
The final interesting feature I'll touch on is what Qnap bills as "Q-Raid". This feature allows an external USB or eSATA drive to be used in a RAID 0 (mirroring) mode. This gives you extra data protection in case of disk failure.


LOL!

Yea, I was wonderin about that myself.... Jim???
August 16, 2006 6:02:46 PM

Quote:
The final interesting feature I'll touch on is what Qnap bills as "Q-Raid". This feature allows an external USB or eSATA drive to be used in a RAID 0 (mirroring) mode. This gives you extra data protection in case of disk failure.


LOL!

Yea, I was wonderin about that myself.... Jim???



Sorry guys - typo on my part. Mirroring (which the TS-101 supports) is RAID level 1, not 0.

Jim
October 21, 2006 11:15:14 AM

hi, anyone manage to gain shell access to it? i'm thinking of install the python codes so that it can work with torrentflux. :) 

Thanks.
December 2, 2006 8:04:08 AM

When will we get a review for QNAP TS201 ?
!