c drive changes to f drive after reinstalling windows xp pro

i tried to installed linux on my computer , unfortunately it didn't work. so
i re installed windows xp pro. in my observation, the linux created a
partition on my harddrive., that when i reinstalled xp pro,(there was two
partition) it was complainin that it wasnt on the primary drive, so i chose
to format the drive with the bigger number of free space. i got it running
back again but my used to be drive C is now changed to drive F (where drive F
used to be one of my removable disk drive)...... what have i done
wrong?.......Please help!!!!
the reason why i tried to changed my operating system is because when i
upgrade from home edition to professional edition ....i cannot connect to the
internet. however when i tried to ping www.msn.com on the command prompt i
got the ip address of the site and no packets were lost, some how internet
explorer or mozilla was blocked by something else.
2 answers Last reply
More about drive drive reinstalling windows

    This frequently happens to people who have more than one drive.

    You need to disconnect all drives but the primary drive and reinstall
    windows again. When the installer reaches the screen where you can do so,
    delete all partitions and make a new partition from the unallocated space
    (use the onscreen instructions) and then proceed.

    You cannot change the system drive letter from within Windows. You can
    change other drive letters, but not the one for the volume where Windows is
    installed.

    If after the installation you still have a connectivity problem, ask here
    about it instead of reinstalling Windows again.

    "sweetdestinee" <sweetdestinee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i tried to installed linux on my computer , unfortunately it didn't work.
    >so
    > i re installed windows xp pro. in my observation, the linux created a
    > partition on my harddrive., that when i reinstalled xp pro,(there was two
    > partition) it was complainin that it wasnt on the primary drive, so i
    > chose
    > to format the drive with the bigger number of free space. i got it running
    > back again but my used to be drive C is now changed to drive F (where
    > drive F
    > used to be one of my removable disk drive)...... what have i done
    > wrong?.......Please help!!!!
    > the reason why i tried to changed my operating system is because when i
    > upgrade from home edition to professional edition ....i cannot connect to
    > the
    > internet. however when i tried to ping www.msn.com on the command prompt i
    > got the ip address of the site and no packets were lost, some how internet
    > explorer or mozilla was blocked by something else.

    "=?Utf-8?B?c3dlZXRkZXN0aW5lZQ==?="
    <sweetdestinee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > i tried to installed linux on my computer , unfortunately it didn't
    > work. so i re installed windows xp pro. in my observation, the linux
    > created a partition on my harddrive., that when i reinstalled xp
    > pro,(there was two partition) it was complainin that it wasnt on the
    > primary drive, so i chose to format the drive with the bigger number
    > of free space. i got it running back again but my used to be drive C
    > is now changed to drive F (where drive F used to be one of my
    > removable disk drive)...... what have i done wrong?.......Please
    > help!!!! the reason why i tried to changed my operating system is
    > because when i upgrade from home edition to professional edition ....i
    > cannot connect to the internet. however when i tried to ping
    > www.msn.com on the command prompt i got the ip address of the site and
    > no packets were lost, some how internet explorer or mozilla was
    > blocked by something else.

    that's a pretty rash reason to try to switch to linux.

Windows XP