using compatws to enable users to share folders.

As I understand users cannot share folders unless they are an
Administrator or a Power user.

I want to give some users the ability to share their folders without
logging in as a local Power User or Administrator.

I could see 3 ways of doing this:

1. Make the Domain Users affected members of Administrators (silly -
not feasable)

2. Add Domain Users to the Power Users group in local machine via
Users And Computers -> Advanced. (this needs to be done on every
machine affected, I have tested this and it works)

3. Create a group policy to apply to the computers where the shared
folders will be and import the compatws.inf security policy. I
unserstand that this will simulate the Power User setup and hence
users should then be allowed to manage their own shared.

Option 2 has been tested and it works

Option 3 has been implemented. The group policy is being applied to
the machine (as far as I can tell using gpresult and other means)
however I can still not share my folders.

Any Ideas.... should option 3 work or am I stuck with option 2?

They must be members of either the local administrators group or power users group to
share folders. The compatws.inf template simply gives regular users the same ntfs
permissions as power users but not their additional rights. I believe it will also
remove all members of the power users group when applied. --- Steve