Pulling my hair out trying to connect my htpc to my Toshib..

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 15, 2004 3:36:10 AM

I have a evga video card Geforce fx5200 (nvidea chip set) with dvi
output and a Toshiba 51h83 hdtv. I purchased a dvi-d single link
cable and am trying to connect my pc to the TV so I can play video
games. Any resolution above 720 by 480 causes the TV to role
vertically. At 720 by 480 the resolution is poor at Higher resolution
the picture is crisp and clear but I cant get the tv to vertical sync
I have tried powerstip with no success. If anyone knows how to solve
this problem I would much appreciate some help. Please email me at
watchdatv@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance

Steve
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 12:02:07 AM

watchdatv@yahoo.com (watchdatv) wrote in message news:<db5b9621.0405142236.5d304f14@posting.google.com>...
> I have a evga video card Geforce fx5200 (nvidea chip set) with dvi
> output and a Toshiba 51h83 hdtv. I purchased a dvi-d single link
> cable and am trying to connect my pc to the TV so I can play video
> games. Any resolution above 720 by 480 causes the TV to role
> vertically. At 720 by 480 the resolution is poor at Higher resolution
> the picture is crisp and clear but I cant get the tv to vertical sync
> I have tried powerstip with no success. If anyone knows how to solve
> this problem I would much appreciate some help. Please email me at
> watchdatv@yahoo.com
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Those other resolutions that make the image scroll, did you make sure
your screen supports it? The only resolutions that you will likely be
able to run are 640x480,720x480, 1280x720. I don't know what would
make the image scroll for sure. Did 1280x720 make it roll and does
your screen support 720p (1280x720) or 1080i instead? If 1280x720
rolls and your tv says it support 720p (1280x720) then I don't know.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 12:03:27 AM

watchdatv@yahoo.com (watchdatv) wrote in message news:<db5b9621.0405142236.5d304f14@posting.google.com>...
> I have a evga video card Geforce fx5200 (nvidea chip set) with dvi
> output and a Toshiba 51h83 hdtv. I purchased a dvi-d single link
> cable and am trying to connect my pc to the TV so I can play video
> games. Any resolution above 720 by 480 causes the TV to role
> vertically. At 720 by 480 the resolution is poor at Higher resolution
> the picture is crisp and clear but I cant get the tv to vertical sync
> I have tried powerstip with no success. If anyone knows how to solve
> this problem I would much appreciate some help. Please email me at
> watchdatv@yahoo.com
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Those other resolutions that make the image scroll, did you make sure
your screen supports it? The only resolutions that you will likely be
able to run are 640x480,720x480, 1280x720. I don't know what would
make the image scroll for sure. Did 1280x720 make it roll and does
your screen support 720p (1280x720) or 1080i instead? If 1280x720
rolls and your tv says it support 720p (1280x720) then I don't know.
May 17, 2004 4:10:08 PM

okner@newshosting.com (okner@newshosting.com) wrote in message news:<19c13a19.0405161903.7f8518b1@posting.google.com>...
> watchdatv@yahoo.com (watchdatv) wrote in message news:<db5b9621.0405142236.5d304f14@posting.google.com>...
> > I have a evga video card Geforce fx5200 (nvidea chip set) with dvi
> > output and a Toshiba 51h83 hdtv. I purchased a dvi-d single link
> > cable and am trying to connect my pc to the TV so I can play video
> > games. Any resolution above 720 by 480 causes the TV to role
> > vertically. At 720 by 480 the resolution is poor at Higher resolution
> > the picture is crisp and clear but I cant get the tv to vertical sync
> > I have tried powerstip with no success. If anyone knows how to solve
> > this problem I would much appreciate some help. Please email me at
> > watchdatv@yahoo.com
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Steve
>
> Those other resolutions that make the image scroll, did you make sure
> your screen supports it? The only resolutions that you will likely be
> able to run are 640x480,720x480, 1280x720. I don't know what would
> make the image scroll for sure. Did 1280x720 make it roll and does
> your screen support 720p (1280x720) or 1080i instead? If 1280x720
> rolls and your tv says it support 720p (1280x720) then I don't know.

My tv only supports 1080i what should I set the resolution for ?
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:49:09 PM

watchdatv@yahoo.com (watchdatv) wrote in message news:<db5b9621.0405171110.1614bf7d@posting.google.com>...
> okner@newshosting.com (okner@newshosting.com) wrote in message news:<19c13a19.0405161903.7f8518b1@posting.google.com>...
> > watchdatv@yahoo.com (watchdatv) wrote in message news:<db5b9621.0405142236.5d304f14@posting.google.com>...
> > > I have a evga video card Geforce fx5200 (nvidea chip set) with dvi
> > > output and a Toshiba 51h83 hdtv. I purchased a dvi-d single link
> > > cable and am trying to connect my pc to the TV so I can play video
> > > games. Any resolution above 720 by 480 causes the TV to role
> > > vertically. At 720 by 480 the resolution is poor at Higher resolution
> > > the picture is crisp and clear but I cant get the tv to vertical sync
> > > I have tried powerstip with no success. If anyone knows how to solve
> > > this problem I would much appreciate some help. Please email me at
> > > watchdatv@yahoo.com
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > Steve
> >
> > Those other resolutions that make the image scroll, did you make sure
> > your screen supports it? The only resolutions that you will likely be
> > able to run are 640x480,720x480, 1280x720. I don't know what would
> > make the image scroll for sure. Did 1280x720 make it roll and does
> > your screen support 720p (1280x720) or 1080i instead? If 1280x720
> > rolls and your tv says it support 720p (1280x720) then I don't know.
>
> My tv only supports 1080i what should I set the resolution for ?

720x480 is the highest progressive rosolution your tv supports. If you
want higher than that you will have to give it 1920x1080i (interlaced)
from your graphics card.
March 30, 2006 9:28:16 PM

My friend has this television. I hooked up his HTPC to it via DVI with bad results. Unfortunately, your television uses CRT technology rather than DLP, LCD, or Plasma. The tradeoffs are that your television is going to have better contrast than the new technologies. The Black levels are going to be real good. However, it not going to be good with detail.

When I hooked up his HTPC it took me 3 hours using powerstrip to get it to work. It wasn't worth it. It turns out, that your TV is not a True HDTV. It is what they call a EDTV, Enhance Definition TV. 720 X 480 resolution native. You probably got a fantastic $ deal on it if you bought it in the last 18 months or so. Dvds are wonderful on it, but I do not recommend it for direct hook up to a HDTV video card. However, you can try the tv out feature at moderate resolutions.

Sorry for the bad news. My friend was also disappointed, until he realized that he didn't pay much, in the HDTV retail world, for it.
!