Cannot access my DLINK DCS-900 camera on the web

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I have a DLINK DCS-900W camera. This camera is like a web server in itself and you are supposed to be able to see the cam image of let say your home remotely on a web browser via the internet by just entering http://YOUR_IP_ADDRESS:pORT. So I have setup the camera local IP address to let say 192.68.0.50 and I used port 5000 to forward the image. Then I go to my router which is a DLINK 624 router and where my camera is connected to, and create a virtual web server with local LAN address of 192.68.0.50 and I let port 5000 go through my firewall and filter. So now I should be able to access my camera from the internet but I cannot. But if I go to my local LAN and type in http://192.168.0.50:5000 then I can "see" my camera fine. So that means that port 5000 is forwarding correctly. So what else did I miss to setup my router that makes m camera not accessible on the internet?

If some experts out there with good networking knowledge want to take a look at my router to help me, please e-mail me and I will give you my IP address and my router user name and password and port and you can actually access my router remotely and take a look at the configurations I have setup.

My home was just burglarized and I need to setup this camera to check on my home remotely. My e-mail address is jerrylev@gmail.com if you want to contact me to take a look at the router. Thanks.

xiii

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Just a thought: have you tried accessing your router remotely yourself? Some ISP's (like mine) have a firewall set up by default which blocks many ports that are risky but useful to have open. Also, just to check, are you also writing the :5000 after the IP address when you are trying to access the router from outside your home? Otherwise the forwarding won't occur. Just some things you might want to check in case you didn't.

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Okay, your router has a public IP address and you set up your router to forward 5000 to 192.168.0.50, which is attached to the switch side of the router. You attach to the camera via: http://PUBLIC_IP_ADDR_OF_ROUTER:5000 and you don't get anything?

I have a DLINK DCS-900W camera. This camera is like a web server in itself and you are supposed to be able to see the cam image of let say your home remotely on a web browser via the internet by just entering http://YOUR_IP_ADDRESS:pORT. So I have setup the camera local IP address to let say 192.68.0.50 and I used port 5000 to forward the image. Then I go to my router which is a DLINK 624 router and where my camera is connected to, and create a virtual web server with local LAN address of 192.68.0.50 and I let port 5000 go through my firewall and filter. So now I should be able to access my camera from the internet but I cannot. But if I go to my local LAN and type in http://192.168.0.50:5000 then I can "see" my camera fine. So that means that port 5000 is forwarding correctly. So what else did I miss to setup my router that makes m camera not accessible on the internet?

If some experts out there with good networking knowledge want to take a look at my router to help me, please e-mail me and I will give you my IP address and my router user name and password and port and you can actually access my router remotely and take a look at the configurations I have setup.

My home was just burglarized and I need to setup this camera to check on my home remotely. My e-mail address is jerrylev@gmail.com if you want to contact me to take a look at the router. Thanks.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Okay, your router has a public IP address and you set up your router to forward 5000 to 192.168.0.50, which is attached to the switch side of the router. You attach to the camera via: http://PUBLIC_IP_ADDR_OF_ROUTER:5000 and you don't get anything?

This is right.

Just a double check, you did tell you router to forward port 5000 to IP address 192.168.0.50

In addition your ISP may not give out 'public' IP addresses, check to see if you WAN address is in the public domain. It is possible that your ISP blocks ALL inbound traffic, just like your router :(

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hello all,

I have forwarded port 5000 to 192.168.0.50. On the DLink router, there is something called Virtual Server and that's how I set it. There is no menu to set port forwarding directly so I think virtual server and port forwarding is the same. Then I can access my camera locally on my LAN by typing http://192.168.0.50:5000. But when I enter http://MyPublicIPAddr:5000, it will time out. I have tried to use other ports also and I have called my ISP (Comcast) who said that they block a dozen of ports, and the ports I used are not on their list.

I also set up remote access on my router to port 8080, so you can actually type http://MyPublicIPAddr:8080 and you can see my router and with a login and password, you can actually change the router configuration. When I go home tonight, I will try to set port 5000 as remote access port to see if I can access my router by typing http://MyPublicIPAddr:5000 or not. If I can then port 5000 is not a problem but it's something to do with how I set my port forwarding on my router. My DLink router is pretty straight forward and there is only one place (virtual server) where I can set port forwarding.

I am offering to e-mail my IP address so somebody with network knowledge who can take a look at my router for me. Sorry I cannot post my IP address here for fear of hackers.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I looked up the manual on dlinks site. Link to Manual

Virtual Servers is what you want.

The only thing that you may want to check is what port is used for the 'public and private' ports.

Example 1 from manual:
If you have a Web server that you wanted Internet users to
access at all times, you would need to enable it. Web
(HTTP) server is on LAN (Local Area Network) computer
192.168.0.25. HTTP uses port 80, TCP.
Name: Web Server
Private IP: 192.168.0.25
Protocol Type: TCP
Private Port: 80
Public Port: 80
Schedule: always

Example 2 from manual:
If you have an FTP server that you wanted Internet users to access by WAN port
2100 and only during the weekends, you would need to enable it as such. FTP
server is on LAN computer 192.168.0.30. FTP uses port 21, TCP.
Name: FTP Server
Private IP: 192.168.0.30
Protocol Type: TCP
Private Port: 21
Public Port: 2100
Schedule: From: 01:00AM to 01:00AM, Sat to Sun
Using the Configuration Menu (continued)
Advanced > Virtual Server continued
Click on this icon to edit the virtual service
Click on this icon to delete the virtual service
All Internet users who want to access this FTP Server
must connect to it from port 2100. This is an example of
port redirection and can be useful in cases where there
are many of the same servers on the LAN network.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
JJW, thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, that's what I did too as in example 1 except that I used port 5000 for both public and private and schedule always (I have tried port 80 also) but it doesn't work for some weird reason. I am going to switch to an old Netgear router when I get some free time to see what happens. Thanks.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
You mentioned your ISP was comcast... I tried to do the same a while back, with the same camera, but a different router (either a netgear or linksys) and had similar luck. I have comcast too.

I did not try nearly as hard as you have at this point, I gave up. Good luck moving forward, Best as I can tell you're on the right track.

An alternative solution, if all you need is static photos (no video) is to write a perl script or similar that downloads photos from the DCS-900 and posts them to your comcast personal web page...

Something like this is what I came up with to do a time laps, It requires a command line program called "imgcon" to make the animation. The DCS-900 can only spit 1 image/sec using this method. This script was written for windows.

[code:1:a8b91182e0]
#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::LWP'
#

#########################################################################################################

use LWP::UserAgent;
$camerauserid = 'Guest';
$camerapassword = 'Guest';
$cameraip = 'http://192.168.0.20/IMAGE.jpg';

open(FF, ">imagelog.txt");
print FF "Begin Logging Images\n";
close FF;

$ua = new LWP::UserAgent;

$req = HTTP::Request->new (GET => $cameraip);
$req->authorization_basic($camerauserid,$camerapassword);

$res = $ua->request($req);
if ( $res->is_success )
{
$istart=01; # starting counting at 1
$end_i=15; # Number of Frames
$i=$istart;$end_i++;

open(EE, ">list.txt");

while ($end_i > $i) {
$res = $ua->request($req);

$data = $res->content;

open (FF , ">testing$i.jpg");
binmode FF;
print FF $data;
close FF;

print "Got Image $i\n";
print EE "testing$i.jpg\n";

$i++
}

close EE;

}
else
{ print "Error: unable to access camera\n";
exit 1;
}

system("imgcon -avi 5 -output test.avi -list list.txt");[/code:1:a8b91182e0]

At one time I had an applet that animated a series of jpeg images without having to create an avi file, but it was slow to load.

I don't know if I have a code snippet for uploading by ftp, but they are relatively easy to come by...

skyd22

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I have similar problem with my DCS-900 before. My solutions is forward the router's port number to the exact web sever port number (in your DCS-900 webcam setup page).
So if you open the link to you DCS-900 camera you should be able to change the web sever port in setup page to for example 8082, then forwarding the port in your dlink router to that port. I have no problem access my camera from distance now, but viewing the image is pain. It works well for few weeks, but now it freeze most of the time giving me no access at all. Weird DLink cam.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
JJW, hey thanks for your perl script, that's pretty neat. I can get the pic on my LAN OK so if I push it out to a web page like you said, then it will do the job.

I am a little bit ignorant on perl script so may be you can help me understand a little bit. I can follow up to the part where you open my camera and grab the jpg photo. But then I get lost on how you post it on the web page. I see that you print to EE and FF. Which one is the web page? And what does list.txt contain?

I suppose that you run this script inside your web page, is that right? So if you put this in a loop, would it refresh for you and update the jpg photo automatically (kind like what the java program in the DLink camera does). Thanks.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
JJW,

I posted earlier but somehow my post did not appear here, so I will try again.

JJW, hey thanks for your perl script, that's pretty neat. I can get the pic on my LAN OK so if I push it out to a web page like you said, then it will do the job.

I am a little bit ignorant on perl script so may be you can help me understand a little bit. I can follow up to the part where you open my camera and grab the jpg photo. But then I get lost on how you post it on the web page. I see that you print to EE and FF. Which one is the web page? And what does list.txt contain?

I suppose that you run this script inside your web page, is that right? So if you put this in a loop, would it refresh for you and update the jpg photo automatically (kind like what the java program in the DLink camera does). Thanks.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
By the way, the DCS-900 internet camera series from DLink is pretty neat and inexpensive if you can make it work properly. It costs something like $50 at Fry Electronics when they are on sale. Not only it's like a webcam but it is a web server all in itself in that little box. The pic under low light is not that great but it's good with adequate lighting.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
This is weird. I have to post twice before my post will appear here. Here is what I just posted but it disappears.

By the way, the DCS-900 internet camera series from DLink is pretty neat and inexpensive if you can make it work properly. It costs something like $50 at Fry Electronics when they are on sale. Not only it's like a webcam but it is a web server all in itself in that little box. The pic under low light is not that great but it's good with adequate lighting.

skyd22

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
yeah, kinda weired, I posted it before in here but it showed up wrong dated and nothing display. Must be some kinda bugs.
Anyways, I have DCS900 and it gave me same problem . My solution was turn on the setup page fo DCS900 and change the port of webserver in setting to for example 8082. Forwarding the port of router to 8082. And voila it should not give you any problem. You should also download latest firmware from DLink.
If you have dynamic IP then you should go to dyndns.org to register for free an alias such as mywebcam.dns.org and then set it up so it will monitor your home IP address. then you can log on to http://mywebcam.dns.org in the future.

skyd22

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
yeah, kinda weired, I posted it before in here but it showed up wrong dated and nothing display. Must be some kinda bugs.
Anyways, I have DCS900 and it gave me same problem . My solution was turn on the setup page fo DCS900 and change the port of webserver in setting to for example 8082. Forwarding the port of router to 8082. And voila it should not give you any problem. You should also download latest firmware from DLink.
If you have dynamic IP then you should go to dyndns.org to register for free an alias such as mywebcam.dns.org and then set it up so it will monitor your home IP address. then you can log on to http://mywebcam.dns.org in the future.

skyd22

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I run the script locally and the list.txt is a list of images used by the imgcon program to create the video.

The print FF writes the image file out (it is stored as the variable $data) A note on perl, you must write the image file as 'binary'
print EE writes to list.txt with the image file name.

As I noted, the script does not upload automatically to a website (yet), in the current form all it does is capture a series of images, saves them locally and calls an external program (imgcon) to create an avi file.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hi all, I see that JJW and one more person posted something but it does not appear on the thread. For some reason, you have to post twice before your post will appear here so I can you repost what you posted yesterday. In particular, I am very interested in the perl script that jjw has posted because that will do the job for me. I have tried to setup my router and camera again using all the different ports (20, 23, etc) but it still does not allow me to see the camera on the internet. I am just about giving up going that route.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hi all, I see that JJW and one more person posted something but it does not appear on the thread. For some reason, you have to post twice before your post will appear here so I can you repost what you posted yesterday. In particular, I am very interested in the perl script that jjw has posted because that will do the job for me. I have tried to setup my router and camera again using all the different ports (20, 23, etc) but it still does not allow me to see the camera on the internet. I am just about giving up going that route.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
JJW, I finally see your posts after posting a bunch of dummy posts to 'flush it out'. Has anyone contacted the admin person about this problem?

Anyhow, I see what you are doing now. What does it take to post an image on a web page automatically? Thanks.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
JJW, I finally see your posts after posting a bunch of dummy posts to 'flush it out'. Has anyone contacted the admin person about this problem?

Anyhow, I see what you are doing now. What does it take to post an image on a web page automatically? Thanks.