Apple charging for enabling 802.11n?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You know, it's crap like this that annoys me with Apple. They are charging for a download that enables 802.11n:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196902121

Apple Inc. confirmed Friday that it will charge Mac users a small fee to switch on faster and longer-range wireless technology already tucked into their machines.

The company said it will charge customers $1.99 to download software that will enable 802.11n wireless functionality in the chipsets of most Intel Core 2 Duo- and Xeon-based iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook, and MacBook Pro computers.
I don't know why Apple users put up with this crap. If it were me I would be like "hey, I own the friggin' hardware, activate it!". But, that's just me.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
apple is gay!
macworld_scott_lewallen_gay_apple_flag.jpg

DustinG

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
The "activation" software is included when you buy the Airport Extreme. There is no mention of paying for a downloadable upgrade. Personally I think this is bogus...

Good thing is my iMac and Mac Pro already support 802.11n! Woot no need to upgrade the hardware!

-----

Update:

Okay... it appears to be true... what's not so clear is why Apple would be charging a fee for this...

From AppleInsider I found this...
According to the editor, the fee stems from a law called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, which supposedly prohibits Apple from giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures.

"Because of the Act, the company believes that if it sells a product, then later adds a feature to that product, it can be held liable for improper accounting if it recognizes revenue from the product at the time of sale, given that it hasn’t finished delivering the product at that point," he wrote.

Hmmm...

Regardless of the reason, this does make Apple look bad. What's ironic is the 802.11n specs aren't even finished yet.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I believe I read somewhere that the reason why Apple is charging for the "upgrade" is to remain in compliance with GAAP accounting practices. Not entirely familiar with the nuts and bolts, but it has something to do with unadvertised upgrades and some such. I certainly hope this is true, as it does seem another way that Apple can nickel and dime its customers.

Apple sure is one company that makes products we love, yet we love to hate.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I believe I read somewhere that the reason why Apple is charging for the "upgrade" is to remain in compliance with GAAP accounting practices. Not entirely familiar with the nuts and bolts, but it has something to do with unadvertised upgrades and some such. I certainly hope this is true, as it does seem another way that Apple can nickel and dime its customers.

Apple sure is one company that makes products we love, yet we love to hate.

I know they are trying to "comply with accounting practices", but it still seems like they are taking that to an extreme. Should mobo manufacturers charge for BIOS updates that give you the ability to drop new CPUs in them? I think not.

I think Apple's products are OK, but the community of people that use their products sour me to them. They aren't the big, cuddly teddy bear that everybody thinks they are. Hell, Steve Jobs has a net worth of like $4 billion last time I checked, and he doesn't even give to charities. ;)