Sign in with
Your question

Overlock failure - possible symptoms?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 19, 2007 9:43:44 PM

I have E6600 (1.3125 VBIOS, 1.24-1.28 real) at 4x800=3.2 GHz and Core Temp 23 - 44 (Orthos 9).

It seems to be Memtest86 & Orthos stable but I'm getting other wierd problems, are these typical overclocking issues or just Windows bugs?

1. After I tell Windows to restart, it hangs and I have to turn off the PSU, it never reboots properly otherwise. My MB (ASUS P5B Deluxe) doesn't say "Overclock Failed" when I start up.

2. After I login with my password, Windows kicks me out to the login screen. I have to click on my name and then it really logs me in.

3. I get "Sorry, this application needs to close" for random apps. Sometimes Orthos or Windows Explorer.

4. Sometimes the PC slows WAY down, the graphics is choppy, and the disk grinds away. And CPU temps won't get very high (34 C or so). Is this the "throttling" I've heard of? It seems like it stays that way forever, until I reboot.

More about : overlock failure symptoms

January 19, 2007 10:07:20 PM

There is one remedy that I can think of. If your cpu is pretty cool then there is a good chance it isn't the cpu. Try raising your mch a little.
January 19, 2007 10:11:48 PM

Beleive it or not I had similar symptoms after running an update on ZoneAlarm.

I checked the web and found others having the issue and a number of ways to cure it.

My was to cure it was to do a refresh (backup PC and re-install XP/drivers/updates) then I installed Comodo and everything has been great since.

Find Comodo HERE

May not be your same issue but worth a look see.

Did this happen AFTER TWEAKING? Immediately?

or did it come on eventually after the tweaks were completed for some time?
Related resources
January 19, 2007 10:30:07 PM

>Did this happen AFTER TWEAKING?

No. At first I had 12 hour Orthos 9 sessions at 3.2 GHz.

Then I decided to un-raid my drives. For unrelated reasons, I ended up flashing BIOS a couple of times (eventually back to the original beta version, 910) and resetting CMOS - this was in an effort to "fix" the JMicron chip to read from a certain old PATA hard drive, which turned out to just be dead and unreadable.

Then I added a PCI card (sound blaster live!) to replace the onboard HD audio. I added another intake fan on the side of the case by the video card. The cables inside the case got rearranged randomly for the Nth time. Finally, I un-raid my drives and reinstall windows. After I get Windows back again, I set my BIOS settings exactly the same as before (I have them documented in Excel plus know them by heart). Now I tend to get random crashes when overclocking. No Orthos failures though.

BTW I think I'm going to rip the decorative covers off of the NB and SB on my ASUS P5B Deluxe. I hear that this will help keep them cool.
January 19, 2007 11:17:53 PM

Just for kicks?

Can you remove the SB Live?

In the device manager are you seeing ANY conflicts at all (any yellow exclamation points)?

SB is notorious for sharing IRQs with OTHER things (like HDD controllers for instance). Plug and Play is not a real thing sometimes with the SB hardware.

I remember having to install cards in a certain order (usually the SB first) and others afterwards since the SB would often brute force its way into resources that were already allocated. In my case the modem and SB would conflict.

You have done a few things there. I would start backing up (not data, you :) ) and reversing some of the things you have completed.

I might even start with removing all the BIOS settings you have done to make sure you are stable @ stock. Just another option..

Good Luck!!
January 22, 2007 5:23:22 PM

I figured out the problem where Orthos crashes with a Windows dialog box saying "this program needs to close" after about 1 hour. This happens despite never seeing Orthos stop due to a calculation error.

The problem goes away when I remove ATI Catalyst 7 drivers and install the latest version 6 ones. My guess is that the priority 9 Orthos is starving the ATI drivers of CPU time.

Its stable now - 8 hours of Orthos last night and no crash. This is with E6600 at 8x400=3.2 GHz, 1.3125V (BIOS), 1.24-1.27V (real), with air-cooled CPU temp 22-45C (Orthos 9), System temp 26-28C (Orthos 9). Rarely, my CPU temp reaches 45; usually it stays around 43.

I tried dropping the voltage down to 1.3 in the BIOS, and Orthos never produces an error but one of the threads seems to freeze or hang after about an hour. After killing Orthos, my whole PC still runs slowly. I guess 1.3125V is as low as I can go at 3.2 GHz.
January 22, 2007 6:34:35 PM

Quote:

1. After I tell Windows to restart, it hangs and I have to turn off the PSU, it never reboots properly otherwise. My MB (ASUS P5B Deluxe) doesn't say "Overclock Failed" when I start up.

My experimental settings for 8x400 had similar hickupps. Occasionally the reboot wouldn't post and the wake-up from S3 stand-by would hang always.
My settings are in the trhread:
400x8 or 356x9 better on P5W DH?

Your MB is P5B mine P5W. Your vCore is much lower :evil:  and your load core temps are lower .... :evil:  ! Lucky you :D 

Collecting bits of info from the INet one can hipothesise that when the BIOS boots, the multiplier is first set to the default. In our case (E6600) to 9. Which effectively means 400x9=3.6G. If that speed isn't stable BIOS might not reach the point where the desired 8 multiplier is set - thus (occasional) hangups. Anybody wants to comment on this?
Am curious as well what is trully going on.
January 22, 2007 11:05:45 PM

Glad to see you got it dialed in..
!