Sign in with
Your question

Reboot and select proper boot device.

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2007 10:07:46 PM

This is my first build and I get this on boot.

I realize some of these specs don't matter, but I'll just give you a run down of my system. I'm running p5b mobo, 2gb ram, e6400, x1950xt, 160gb wd hdd (sata), cdrw drive (ide) (waiting until newegg mails my sata drive), those two are my only drives. In boot sequence I have the cdrw drive 1st then hdd 2nd, and 3rd device disabled. not sure how to set jumpers or anything, but I have tried every combination of jumpers on the cdrw drive. I have one ide cable plugged in from the cdrw to the mobo, and a sata connection from the hdd to the mobo (tried sata 1 and 3, maybe i'll go try sata 2 real quick). No matter what, I always get this message on boot. FWIW the mobo detects both the cdrw and hdd.

Any advice?

Oh, and another question. I looked through the bios, my cpu is sitting at 55C at idle before I even boot into windows (which isn't even installed yet). How bad is this?
January 19, 2007 10:52:14 PM

You aren't trying to install Vista are you - that's a DVD & won't run in a cd player (I actually did this in my friend's machine as I didn't even think about players not being able to play DVD's). Maybe your CDRW drive is toast, so try another drive (friend's, parents'...). Make sure the windows disk is not scratched; if it looks good and is genuine it should work fine. 55C seems high before boot up; should be more like 35. Make sure you applied the thermal coating right & didn't leave any packaging on, and that the heat sink is clipped tight.

Jo
January 19, 2007 10:55:11 PM

No, this is at boot without anything in the drive.

I configured BIOs, then got this error after leaving the BIOs.

Now my CPU is reading 83C??? WTF? Ugh, It's looking like I'm going to have to take this whole damn thing apart.
Related resources
January 19, 2007 11:02:34 PM

Quote:
before I even boot into windows (which isn't even installed yet).

Quote:
No, this is at boot without anything in the drive.

If you have no boot media in he cdrom (Windows disk) nor the HD (not yet installed), why would the system boot? You need the windows disk in the cdrom at boot.

83C is definitely too high - make sure you didn't leave the plastic covering on the bottom of the heat sink. The heat sink's metal must be separated from the metal cover of the processor by ONLY the thermal pad or thermal paste. Take it apart and re-seat the heat sink.

Jo
January 19, 2007 11:59:19 PM

Well, I took the heatsink off and the CPU had thermal paste on it, so I'm going to assume I didn't forget to take any plastic off the heatsink (but I don't remember there being plastic on the heatsink, just the cpu which I removed). As far as the temperature is concerned, I don't think I seated the heatsink on all the way, so hopefully this will fix it. I reapplied the heatsink and made sure it was seated all the way down.

As far as putting something in the drive, i'll give that a go. But I don't see how it'll fix it seeing as how it happens right after the bios splash screen occurs. If this fixes it, then I apologize, as I am a total n00b.

Anyway, I took the mobo out to reseat the heatsink, so I'll let you guys know.

Edit: lol. Well, I put in the windows CD and instead of showing that message it booted right to the setup. Hopefully that solves my problem. I'm still worried about my CPU temp, seeing as I can't check the temps while xp is installing. It should just shut down if it overheats, right? I'd hate to damage my CPU.
January 20, 2007 12:23:36 AM

You shouldn't damage your cpu as it will throttle back or just shut down at excessive temps....

And ya, with nothing to boot from, either the windows cd or windows OS on the hdd, there was nothing to happen... what did you think the computer did right after bios? it looks for an OS.
January 20, 2007 3:06:51 AM

Alright, welp, everything is in order now. XP is installed, no longer get that message, and my cpu is idling at 35C.

Awesome. Thanks guys.
January 20, 2007 7:43:08 AM

Well it's still good that you had trouble since now you won't forget, plus you'll be able to lend a hand to friends building for the first time.

Jo
!