HoTU: As much gold as you need

Yet another from the file of super lameness:

The merchant in Drearing's Deep will eventually allow you tto sell
items and buy most of them back cheaper than the price at which he
bought them from you. You get to keep the difference.

I haven't yet run through HoTU again to test this theory, but II
believe it hinges upon how well you treat him.. I didn't notice the
price disparity until the second time through.

When I went through the second time, I never said the line "You're not
very good at it, are you?"

Additionally, as soon as I got to Drearing's Deep, I set a jump point
for the relic right next to this dude and began selling to him
exclusively (his prices for buying stuff back are significantly better
than the other vendors in Act 2). If it isn't the "niceness" factor,
perhaps it was my high volume off patronage of his shop.

Right around the end of the Drearing's Deep saga, I relized dude was
paying me more than my buy-back price for items such as jewels,
arrows, etc.

Of course, keep an eye on the more expensive items, as his cap on
buy-back can get you; but for the most part, it's an awesome way to
build up cash.

Because I am lame, I sold and bought back a handful of items that cost
me around 4800 to buy back from him. Considering he will pay you
roughly 5+ grand for these, you net +200-ish each transaction.

Since I am out of control, I used this to the point of having roughly
4 million gold before going to Act 3.

The only ppl allowed to flame me are those who have never allocated so
much as 1 gold using dm_givegold :)

fco-karatekid wrote:
> The merchant in Drearing's Deep will eventually allow you tto sell
> items and buy most of them back cheaper than the price at which he
> bought them from you. You get to keep the difference.
>
> I haven't yet run through HoTU again to test this theory, but II
> believe it hinges upon how well you treat him.. I didn't notice the
> price disparity until the second time through.
>
> When I went through the second time, I never said the line "You're not
> very good at it, are you?"
>
> Additionally, as soon as I got to Drearing's Deep, I set a jump point
> for the relic right next to this dude and began selling to him
> exclusively (his prices for buying stuff back are significantly better
> than the other vendors in Act 2). If it isn't the "niceness" factor,
> perhaps it was my high volume off patronage of his shop.

Dude's a "she". ;)

Anyway, I thought this was interesting so I checked her out. It doesn't
look like the "not good at it" line has any effect, and I couldn't see
anywhere the module might be keeping track of how much you buy from her.

I think it's just that if you have a really high Appraise score, her
default sellprice of 100% item value and default buyprice of 65% item
value is close enough together to make her do stupid things. With a
high enough Appraise skill and a good enough roll, I think the best you
could get with her is 70% sellprice and 95% buyprice.

Her cap is 10000 GP per transaction.
--
My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

OMG she is a she... I had never zoomed in and apparently glossed over
the "she" part in the text bubble.

You are probably right, I forgot my appraise is at 23 when I first get
into Drearing's Deep.

I didn't think to read through the module, duh.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 04:08:04 GMT, everlast <everlast@jmjservices.com>
wrote:

>fco-karatekid wrote:
>> The merchant in Drearing's Deep will eventually allow you tto sell
>> items and buy most of them back cheaper than the price at which he
>> bought them from you. You get to keep the difference.
>>
>> I haven't yet run through HoTU again to test this theory, but II
>> believe it hinges upon how well you treat him.. I didn't notice the
>> price disparity until the second time through.
>>
>> When I went through the second time, I never said the line "You're not
>> very good at it, are you?"
>>
>> Additionally, as soon as I got to Drearing's Deep, I set a jump point
>> for the relic right next to this dude and began selling to him
>> exclusively (his prices for buying stuff back are significantly better
>> than the other vendors in Act 2). If it isn't the "niceness" factor,
>> perhaps it was my high volume off patronage of his shop.
>
>Dude's a "she". ;)
>
>Anyway, I thought this was interesting so I checked her out. It doesn't
> look like the "not good at it" line has any effect, and I couldn't see
>anywhere the module might be keeping track of how much you buy from her.
>
>I think it's just that if you have a really high Appraise score, her
>default sellprice of 100% item value and default buyprice of 65% item
>value is close enough together to make her do stupid things. With a
>high enough Appraise skill and a good enough roll, I think the best you
>could get with her is 70% sellprice and 95% buyprice.
>
>Her cap is 10000 GP per transaction.

---Sig---
Don't assume my X-Newsreader means I'm running Windoze... it's all about the Wine, baby!

As I am one of the people allowed to flame you - If you exploit a bug
like that more than once then you are as lame as the suggestion.

Kharsis